Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

LT

Aug 04, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

BR

Sep 24, 2017

Muy interesante, un curso lleno de teorías y explicaciones en torno al concepto de cognición, un concepto complejo. Recomendado para aquellos que les interesa el tema de la mente humana y canina.

51 - 75 of 700 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By Carol S

Feb 01, 2016

Great course, I learned a lot. I enjoyed the lectures and I read the book.

By Lauren M M

Apr 22, 2017

GREAT information, great teacher with a positive attitude and open-mind. I wish there would have been more interactive material and the quizzes were not only two questions before getting to final exam. I hope there will be more to come!

By Hazard G W

Jan 01, 2016

Thought provoking. Different cultural attitudes toward dogs a little unsettling - given number of bites and attacks, resources devoted to dogs rather than to humans, is a serious question.

By Gregory D

Oct 26, 2015

Very interesting and engaging course! Great job!

By leanne C

Oct 20, 2015

Right from the start a brilliant course, engaging, intelligent & thought provoking!

By Melissa V S

May 27, 2018

Hi! I really loved this course, it taught me a lot of things!! I am in a dog obedience course right now and I am planning in becoming a dog trainer. I really appreciated all this knowledge and I congratulate you for this! I am also registered in Dognition and I'm currently making my dog's profile with the games. What really surprised me from this course was that it is an "inclusive" teaching, it does not rule out other ways, but it also highlights the scientific facts you guys have discovered or studied. For example, the clicker part where you suggest there's no evidence that clickers make it easier to train dogs, well in my experience clickers really make things faster, but my experience can't determine that this clicker thing is a law. I think it is very important to use science and also personal experience, and mix different kinds of knowledge to get the best results when working with dogs. We can't reduce dogs into one thing or another. Thank you, again, for offering this and for making me a better professional.

By Arletta H

Nov 20, 2015

Very interesting and thought provoking course, I have learned a lot. However some quizzes we not moderetated and some answeres seems to have mistakes.

By Amanda E

Jan 22, 2016

Absolutely excellent. I enjoyed it so much and learned so much.

By Bruce B

May 01, 2016

Wonderful lecturer and fascinating material.

By Ana K

Jan 09, 2016

It was very interesting course, I thought I knew a lot about dogs psychology and cognition but it turned out that I have a lot of white blankc about some thing. Very informative course with good slides and some very interesting information.

By Igor P

Mar 12, 2018

Great course! I learned more than just about my dog's cognitive capabilities. I also completed my dog's profile on DOGNITION. Some tests surprised me, but after all, I agree with the findings. Even more, after completing the course and reading the book (The Genius of Dog) I am able to explain some of my dog's behaviors and get bonded better to my GSD. I am particularly thrilled by the evidence of large cognitive variability within the same species (including different types of intelligence). I also fully support the concept about the citizen science and how more data can be used to find out all kind of interesting results that cannot be infer from small populations.

Thanks Brian and Vanessa for your passion for dogs' cognition and the great effort you put to share your knowledge with all of us. _igor

By Sandro S

Sep 02, 2015

I love this course

By cristina

Mar 27, 2018

Very interesting and informative course delivered in an engaging way.

By Dawn L F

Jun 13, 2016

A must for all dog lovers/owners. The course is well paced and explains how we can communicate better with our dogs and better understand own cognition.

By Pamela H

May 17, 2017

Looking forward to where this takes dog training to a different level.

By Norma-Jean C

Jun 26, 2017

A great and informative course!

By Cheryl H

Sep 20, 2016

Love, love, love this course! Dr. Hare makes learning easy.

By Visvesh

Sep 25, 2016

Well paced, lots of information to assimilate and understand. This course focuses on general aspects of evolution and cognition, and then moves on to the application of principles to animals generally, and then, particularly, to dogs.

By Derik B

Oct 21, 2015

Excellent and based on science.

By Nourus Y

Dec 12, 2016

Wonderful course, learned a lot and have applied my understanding to my do

By Marianne F

Mar 31, 2018

Great course with lots of information. It certainly changed my view of my dog's approach to us as humans.

By Natalia P

Oct 08, 2015

Outstanding! Very interesting ad completely beneficial!

By Leah A M

Aug 29, 2016

This was excellent! As a professional dog trainer, I really value the information I got from this course. Yes I also bought his book but It is a really good resource. You can get it used at a lower cost. I have been recommending this course to my "want to know more" clients.

By Kathryn M K

Jan 08, 2016

This course is fun to take, and it opened my eyes to a lot of research findings about dogs, people, and other animals. The material is presented in a way that's interesting and easy to follow, even though the ideas that the course covers are far from simple. I like that the course goes into the history of the science about animal cognition. I also like the way it debunks old-hat ideas about intelligence in animals, ranging from ants through apes, wolves and dogs, to humans. A big side-benefit is that the course has made me think in new ways about human society and human achievements, and the evolving shape of our relationships with one another and our capabilities. It has also validated my positive feelings about the dog in my family.

By Philippe L

Apr 29, 2017

Very interesting approach and a very dynamic and positive teacher!

A must for all dog lovers!