Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

IS

Oct 06, 2015

This is the first course I am taking in Coursera.org. The valuable instructors of Duke University designed and created a masterpiece for learners. Thank you so much guys. Greets from Istanbul, Turkey.

AD

Jul 17, 2020

Excellent course .\n\nJust felt that there should be examples that could help someone to understand in a more better way.The videos were good and were very simple and easy to understand then the text.

1676 - 1700 of 2,284 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By Shiv K

Jun 03, 2017

Decent course for introducing JS, HTML and CSS. However, very vocational and does not teach much theory, only a lot of practical stuff. It was also not very challenging. I think that teaching technologies isn't the best way to learn Computer Science, and teaching concepts is a better way.

Overall though, a shoutout to Coursera for sponsoring this course and to Duke for having prepped the resources well. I did learn quite a bit from this course.

By utkarsh m

Dec 18, 2016

The way the proffessors deliver there speech is amazing and in a very lucid manner.

One-Liners questions between the videos is really a nice way to enhace students mind so he remains involved and keeping him/her bound to that topic.

I really appreciate the efforts of proffessors who taught me and all other students out there selflessly and with utmost devotion wihout asking anything in return.

SPECIAL THANKS TO COURSERA.

By Szymon T

Mar 26, 2016

Nice course. However I do not understand why javascript is treated in a way that separates it absolutely from its web-related applications (it is treated as a general purpose programming language, which it is nowadays, especially once node.js came to the fore, but still - it is primarily web language and it would be better to treat it as such, even more so when the rest of the course is focused on html and css.

By Cameron G

Oct 08, 2019

Seemed to lack a little in terms of continuity. The mini project seemed to require knowledge that was taught and had to be sought outside...which while real world situation isn't the intention of a source. It means you might be required to rely on other peoples code instead of learning how to write it. I think probably the course has evolved over time and some parts have become somewhat disconnected

By Emily K

Dec 10, 2017

Great summation of the three languages, and the steganography (honors) was a delightful bonus! However, I would have liked to work with the languages perhaps outside of codepen.io. As great as codepen.io is, seeing these three in action in (and I could be wrong about this) a less "batteries included" environment would have also been helpful. Otherwise, everything was explained quite thoroughly!

By Boshra A

Dec 26, 2017

A create course for beginners. You enter the world of programming really fast and get an overview of eeverything you'll ever need in the future. The intructor's videos are clear and precise and well guiding and the ressources are just amazing ! I just finished this course and I feel like I can do so much with programming with this only basic knowledge. Can't wait to begin the next course !

By Kyle A

Aug 21, 2017

Overall I enjoyed this course.

I learned basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript coding techniques and gained a foundation that will (hopefully) make other coding classes a little easier. Help on the Forums is always accessible and you can search posts from previous classes to help you muddle through mistakes. I wish there were a "Live help" chat feature; I think that would be great!

By Ivan B

Jun 04, 2017

I'm not sure how good can this be for a total beginner, but it's pretty good for someone who needs a little refresher. As a way to learn from the start, videos are too "shallow", with just pieces of information needed to understand the concept and some totally irrelevant parts (at least at that moment) - for instance - about storage of images and publishing rights video...

By Sibhat T

Jun 22, 2017

It was Good,

wish "window.CP.PenTimer.MAX_TIME_IN_LOOP_WO_EXIT = 6000;" this code was added in the class videos could have saved me 10hrs. I have had asked a question in first week discussion form, didn't get replay. Looks like there are a lot of question there for one person to reply all. Other than that, I think I learned what I have paid for. Ready for more class !!!!

By Silvia P

Jun 10, 2020

Hi,

I'm very glad to have attempted this course. I found it a bit difficult because I didn't have much experience in Javascript. For me it's been difficult to find a new way of thinking and some specific theory about algorithms (ex. order of the functions or variables' writing). Maybe it could be good a particular course on that.

Thank you.

By Sarthak S

Apr 21, 2018

Good if you can get some assistance from outside the course. It doesn't explain some things, which ma leave you confused. I had NOT used the forum for help, since I could get assistance from elsewhere. IDK if the forum is useful for this purpose. Overall good course but should explain more clearly. Would recommend. 8/10 good for beginners.

By Coen d G

Aug 24, 2018

I really like the course, it is all explained well in the video's. What I found less perfect was the documentation page for this course. It seemed to miss quite some info which I learned to find on other sites. This was a great learning experience in itself though. Only one exercise (making a blurred image) wasn't clear enough for me.

By Hangyul M

Jun 29, 2018

Through this course, I learned like how to make web page interactive using Javascript and even CSS. You can learn it if you have a will. It means this course provides everything for you to learn. One thing if I have to add would be compactness. I know this module is amming for specific one. But I want to learn more about html and CSS.

By Simeon V

Feb 19, 2017

The programming development environments BIC & DLTP are very helpful. BIC with the Chrome console helped get unstuck on a couple of occasions. The presentations & the exercises effectively impart the basic concepts.

It would be really nice if the quizzes have a button to confirm answers separate from the button to submit.

By M J T A

Aug 11, 2016

It's a great course up to when you start dealing with arithmetic calculations. I was wishing for a clearer explanation.

Also, something about explaining the structure of the coding, i.e. the syntax, the tokens, etc. that are being taught seems to be missing.

Otherwise, teachers are great and the course is very engaging.

By Omar E H A Y

Jun 20, 2020

To be honest, it's a great course but the only tackle I have been getting with is the concept of using a library and objects without fully knowing how the return value is set to the object and playing around with methods in such a vague way. Maybe that's because I have learned C++, not to the fullest extent, but yes.

By Frammery H

Aug 10, 2020

High quality content. The instructors are very clear and it's a real pleasure to follow the course. I just found this course a bit short. HTML and CSS are only briefly mentioned which would be fine for a programming foundations course, but here, the mention of HTML and CSS in the course title is a bit misleading.

By Gene C

Jul 08, 2018

Good intro to CSS, HTML, and JS. Took as a refresher and seemed to cover most of the important stuff and provides some good programming fundementals. Quizzes were somewhat confusing at some points. I didn't really find the whole "learn coding with colors" to be my thing but that's just me. Overall a solid course.

By Andersonn P

It is a good course. It has some interesting information. But sometimes is a bit boring. I'd be glad if the code samples were more explicit along the essays, with short explanations. Perhaps it would help us to visualize and make it more natural. But I have an understanding of coding and its elements now.

By Maurice L C

Jun 25, 2017

Gave me solid foundation in HTML, CSS and JavaScript and equipped me with knowledge and tools to make more complicated projects of my own.

The course was easy to follow and using projects that were able to be presented "live" allowed for the student to be immersed in the work and the tasks given to them.

By Mridula T

Jul 17, 2018

It was a great course with a lot of "Do It Yourself" tasks , with all the help one might need being available in the videos as well as the resources/documentation links provided for further operations. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have the basic understanding of how Webpage scripts work.

By Rebecca N

Jul 25, 2016

My previous review is : This course teaches NOTHING about JAVA! Does not worth the money and time!

After I learned more about coding I realized I was wrong that it is very important to understand HTML, CSS and JS before learning Java. The only thing is that I wish this course teaches more algorithm.

By Ricardo C

Dec 28, 2015

So far I enjoyed and learned to many concepts about programing, I have none technical background so for me this is like learning a complete new language with different alphabet, they explain in a clear way, with examples and easy language, the Javascript part could be more specific but it is fine.

By Siddharth S

Apr 02, 2018

The course was good in content. The way the things were delivered was really amazing and uses of CodePen for practicing is also a nice practice introduces to us in the series. Thanks Duke for providing us with a good course to begin our learning in making interactive and attractive web pages

Feb 07, 2016

Very good course for beginners, but some of the practical examples could have been done better.

For example it would have been nice if the course had taught how to execute JS code directly from a webpage, with or without using CodePen.

This is the only reason why it gets 4 stars instead of 5.