Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

CR
May 12, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

251 - 275 of 2,937 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Augustin C

Jun 3, 2020

I have never seen a good online planned lesson like this before.There are many TESOL Platform but this one from ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, through Coursera.com platform ,is the best ever.Everyone with dream of becoming a teacher should attend this program.

By Zhi L Y

Aug 28, 2019

It was interesting and fun! I like Dr Shane's presentation method to draw the attention of learners. He articulate and express really well! They kept each lesson short and simple so that we don't lose our interest or focus. Had a really fun time learning!

By Emilia K

Oct 25, 2018

This course has given me an incredible opportunity to become a better teacher underlining what is a crucial difference between learning and acquisition. It definitely shows the most important principles according to the most effective teaching techniques.

By Traci

Feb 26, 2016

This is an excellent course that inspires thought about who you are (or want to be) as a teacher, fundamental teaching techniques and how your students might feel as language learners. Great metaphors and succinct but helpful videos. I loved this course.

By Shkurupiy O Y

Apr 29, 2020

I am glad to take part in this wonderful course and I have learnt new techniques for teaching and got some inspiration for continuing to work in my profession and of course I want to continue studying and want to take part in other parts of this course.

By Hira C

Nov 19, 2016

Absolutely amazing course for building the Foundation Principles. The teachers are extremely helpful and teach the course in the most effective and fun way. Arizona State University have taken a great initiative by starting the Teach English Now course.

By Susan M

Mar 26, 2016

Getting so much out of these courses. I usually lose my motivation for on-line learning after the first couple of weeks, or when my schedule starts to get in the way. But I MAKE time for this course. Thank you for your creativity and succinct videos.

By Myroshnychenko S

Jun 30, 2020

Thanks to the team for the interesting and useful course.

I really enjoyed taking this course, as it is filled with motivation and practical tips. I strongly recommend everyone to take this course, which will help both in learning and teaching English.

By Irina I

Oct 21, 2020

Thank you for the course! It was quite an interesting journey! I really will take a lot of knowledge for my future and present work with me. There were a lot of things to learn and to just enjoy the exceptional delivery of materials from the teachers.

By ALLELI F

Jun 2, 2020

This course is full of insight! I like how creative the lessons are presented especially the metaphors...I have so many new insights... and I like it because it's research-based! Thank you very much for an excellent job! I'm so grateful to all of you!

By Khalat A

Jul 8, 2019

The best course I have ever taken in my life. Because I learned how to learn in English through all years of my life, but no one has taught me how to teach in a proper way and teach in different ways. this course helped me to make my dreams come true.

By Nesette B

Apr 4, 2018

Very useful and very informative. I have applied the techniques and other information that is applicable to my students and its outcome is really fantastic! All the best Arizona State University, I can't thank you enough for giving me financial aid!

By Kuljinder K

Nov 13, 2017

I just loved it was so good and effective. I have always loved training or teaching but realized how we can use techniques to do so. I also learned how important it is to share the work load to avoid burn out. Thanks you so much it was just worth it.

By Sharon B

Jul 11, 2020

I found the Foundational Principles course to be fun as well as instructive. I love the writing assignments as they are quite thought provoking. Having the assignments "peer graded" put me in touch with learners from all over the world...very cool!

By Paula G

May 20, 2019

This is absolutely a wonderful course, fun and informative. I look forward to each week because I know that I will receive a wealth of valuable instruction, that will serve me so well as a future ESL teacher. I am thrilled to have found this course!

By Jana V

Feb 6, 2019

Thank you indeed. I am going through the whole three courses of TEN! for the second time before moving onto Capstone project and still can find new ideas and I am kept motivated. I have learnt more from your courses than in five years at university.

By Roberto T C

Jan 28, 2017

I am very glad of having the opportunity to take this module, Dr. Shane and his colleagues were wonderful. I was very delighted with the explanations and finally I am processing all that information to apply it in future classes.

Thank you very much.

By Jenny Z

Mar 27, 2016

Great course. Leaned a lot and have a lot of fun. Enjoy it a lot. Dr. Shane Dixon is truly five star teacher. His performance makes this course easy to learn. All the characters he played make the boring language theories live. Thank you very much!

By José J S C

Mar 20, 2017

this course reminded me of the importance in encourage the students in learning english in an interactive and motivated way letting them take control in their learning as well as the teacher in order to create the best astmosphere for the students!

By Zafarul H

Oct 10, 2020

It was a wonderful experience learning with Coursera. It is my first time doing an online course and I enjoyed it very much. The content, instructors, methodology and overall setup is amazing. Looking forward to joining new course soon. Thank you!

By Kateryna M

Mar 18, 2019

I am very grateful for creating this course. It helped me to broaden my understanding of teaching process, to find out new techniques and methods and to get inspiration and motivation. I can't wait getting my students "out of the classroom door":)

By Jose F L G

Apr 22, 2016

I had taken several courses on the basic principles of English language teaching. Foundatioinal Principles made clear a lot of concepts I had only partly understood in the past. I can recommend this course to both novice and experienced teachers.

By maria v

Feb 11, 2016

I highly recommend this amazing course which is part of a four part series for Tesol certificate. It is full of great information and I learnt so much. All the videos and information is so professional and the tutors fantastic. Thank you so much.

By Herb R

Jul 27, 2020

While a bit easy (I mean it's an intro and material is peer-reviewed, not graded by professors), it is very informative and captivating. A lot of fun to interact with others and be introduced in an easy way to quite serious and complex material.

By Оля М

Nov 4, 2019

All is excelent ! All matherial help us understand foundation principles for tought in cllass! Thank for this shans AZU! Thank all people who involwed in this process!! Becouse all matherial create for understand and use in real life!Thank you!