Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

JJ
Aug 17, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

101 - 125 of 2,965 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Sofia B

Feb 7, 2016

Amazing teachers, valuable information and top-quality materials! Thanks so much for making this course - I gained a lot from it, especially from giving and receiving feedback from fellow students. The only thing I didn't enjoy much are some questions in the tests because sometimes they seem a bit irrelevant. I would recommend making the tests a bit more to the point and reducing the amount of questions:) Thanks for your work!!!

By Sandy A

Oct 13, 2017

I want to say a huge thank you to Dr. Shane for making this course so fun and engaging. Also thanks to everyone else involved who put in endless hours to put this amazing course together - if I ever had any doubts about teaching, you certainly reassured me what a fantastic profession this is. My step father completed Tesol a few years back and tells me it was nothing like this and that I'm very lucky to have found this course!

By Md. D I

Mar 30, 2020

Taking this course, as a trainee teacher, I feel that more confident than ever before. Besides, based on the gained knowledge from the course, I have started writing about Teaching English in my local language Bangla using contextual references. I post them on my social media account, and I am receiving positive feedback. Many of the readers have even expressed their interest to pursue Professional TESOL certification.

By Halima N

Aug 5, 2020

I enjoyed the lessons. The class was pretty good I actually think I have learned a lot from this class. This was my first online class and I thought your homework and tests really made me think critically and search for the answers making me learn more especially peer assessments. And through watching videos i have learned how i can speak confidently while making my point clear e.t.c. Great thanks to my teachers.

By Behnaz S

Jun 25, 2020

Starting this course, I was so hopeful and optimistic about all the things I needed to learn about foundational principles of teaching, and to be honest, I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed every second of the videos and every word of the readings. took many notes and wrote many comments. met great ideas from different people.It was an amazing experience. Thanks you Coursera and thanks you Arizona State University.

By Carlos G H C

Feb 24, 2019

I learned a lot about the theories behind language acquisition from Krashen.

Dr. Dixon enthusiastically explains the concepts fo "teacher talk", "elaboration" and more, in the context of teaching languages.

The course checkpoints aren't tedious like in other courses, they just check for the essential parts and the elaborations are left for assumptions about language learning explained in videos as assignments.

By Jasson G C

Jul 6, 2018

This course has given me new insights into teaching English effectively to non-native speakers. The theories have widened my understanding of the concerns, issues and trends in teaching English to foreign students. In addition to that, the Dr. Dixon and Dr. Haraway are very engaging with their delivery of the lessons. I have enjoyed every moment that I have spent for this online course. Well done, Coursera!

By Aya K

Jun 12, 2019

This course was by far the most engaging introduction to teaching ESL that I’ve ever come across. The structure (short lectures interspersed with assessments) meant that information was provided at the optimal level or ‘sweet spot’, and Dr Dixon’s humorous anecdotes made the course fun. The two aspects motivated me to complete the course - in flying colours to boot! I can’t wait to start the next subject!

By sinan k

Feb 5, 2017

thanks to all teachers and students i am so happy to being here with you. this course help me to see my skills level and teach me to how can i improve them. i am a students of English language teaching and i am the one of the future teacher with this course i will be a good teacher and i will guide my students according to what i learned here. it is very useful for future teachers. thanks for everything.

By Youness L

Dec 22, 2017

Excellent course framework, and presentation. The content is of superior quality, and in par with what one will learn in the brick and mortar TESOL schools. I have also received interesting feedbacks from my course mates, and they have been all timely, constructive and pertinent. It goes without saying that the lecturers are highly intelligible and competent in the matter of presentation and language.

By Lindemberg P d S

Apr 23, 2019

Excellent!! A wonderful TESOL course for any one who dreams of becoming a great teacher someday!! It grasped my attention since the very first moment I started watching the first lesson. All the classes by Dr. Shane Dixon are quite interesting and enriched with a lot of pedagogical tips to teach better English language. Congratulations for ASU university and all the team behind this amazing course!!

By Diana V F

Jul 5, 2020

This course was really good for knowing basic techniques used for teaching!! I loved the teachers, they were all very nice and willing to answer questions on the Discussion Forums. The videos are really useful for explaining the topics and I found them to be entertaining with the use of metaphors and anecdotes. Overall, its a good course if you're looking for knowing the basis to be a good teacher.

By Alexandra C S

Nov 2, 2020

I found the course touched on important topics with useful links and additional resources and references for deeper learning. Additionally, the content was presented in an easy-to-understand fashion, with engaging videos and readings. However, the assessment criteria via peer reviews to me seemed to lessen the overall standard as everyone taking the course wants to support everyone else to pass.

By Sikorska A

Dec 24, 2019

I was glad to have an opportunity to enrol in this course and it gave me a truly important experience and useful knowledge. It was rather interesting and exciting to work on peer-graded assignments and I would be glad to continue working hard on my road through TESOL certification from Arizona State University. Let me express sincere gratitude for your work on this course. Let’s keep going!

By Camila N N D

May 7, 2019

Amei o curso! Mesmo sendo um curso online, me senti muito próxima dos professores. A metodologia usada foi incrível, trazendo metáforas para nos ensinar técnicas para sala de aula. Simplesmente maravilhoso! Acredito que poderia ter mais atividades para praticarmos o que aprendemos, porque eu sou uma pessoa que para gravar preciso praticar, então senti falta de um pouco mais de exercícios.

By Shane D L

Feb 14, 2016

Shane Dixon is a little over the top, but it's clear that his energy and enthusiasm is backed up by his knowledge (also it makes sense that he would have such a personality considering the need for it in his ESL classrooms). Everything he says is directed towards helping you understand how to apply what you are learning in a class. Easily the most interesting online course I've taken.

By Jenny V J

Oct 19, 2020

I love listening and learning from Dr. Shane and Prof. Haraway. It's an interesting course. It gives me insights on the best strategies to teach English as a second language. I enjoyed how the lessons are time-tabled with follow up quizzes and assignments to test my acquisition. It left me wanting to learn more and complete all the courses in this TESOL Professional Certificate!

By Angela G C

May 30, 2017

It has been a truly enriching experience to participate and complete Course 1 of Teach English Now! Foundational Principles because it allowed me to relearn concepts I studied some time ago, read about new ideas for ESL, and connect with classmates from all over the world. Also, the professors behind the course are pretty competitive and knowledgeable about this field.

Thank you!

By Andrew L

Oct 4, 2016

This course is great! It has really got me excited about teaching English in China. All the concepts are explained clearly and with metaphors that make you think a bit deeper than you might have otherwise. And if you do all the courses in their Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) series (8 in total), you earn yourself a coveted TESOL certificate! Good luck!

By Felipe N

Jun 19, 2020

This course is fantastic because it opened my mind on how to teach my students English in the best possible way. I found each week motivating and the teachers surprised me with the taxonomy presented at the end of the course. It was emotional and tears came out of my eyes. I learned a lot and I will pass on all this knowledge to my students. Thank you very much from the heart.

By Mycah B

Mar 5, 2016

I looked forward to each week's newly posted lectures and other content. This is a well-organized course, and one learns the various principles, including the more technical, without much effort. Also, Dr. Shane Dixon is a gifted teacher: his success at teaching this class proves that the teaching methods he presents yields successful learning indeed. A recommended course!

By Katie

Sep 25, 2017

The class is definitely what it claims - an overview of foundational principles. I have a degree in education, so it was a bit tedious going through all the things I learned freshman year of college, but the class would be excellent for someone new to the field. The videos are cheesy, but don't waste too much time, and the quizzes/peer reviewed assignments are reasonable.

By Carolina E R H

Jul 21, 2020

This course allows us to visualize how important it is to teach, allowing students not only to receive knowledge, but also experiences that will help them to face their future with the best attitude, practicing good principles, with values that give them the confidence to believe in themselves and to model with passion and motivation for their own development and future.

By Yakubovskyi O

Jul 19, 2020

I have an English language at the elementary level, despite studying it at school and university. Therefore, for me this course is the best stage and the most productive period of learning English. Every video, every text, every task of this course has become just incredible for me. Cool, thanks to the organizers of this course who were able to make it concise and useful

By KIYINGI I

Nov 19, 2019

Great foundation to teaching indeed. Thanks. As warm language and the tilt of warm language and metaphors was greatly explored to make content sticky in our brains. Great job, as MuD worked out. Language is like a cake, a camera, basketball,a door, the students are young birds, , teacher a couch, a candle and so more. Keep the light (students) remain ignited. Thanks alot