Back to Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University

Not so long ago, it was almost guaranteed that you would die of an infectious disease. In fact, had you been born just 150 years ago, your chances of dying of an infectious disease before you've reached the tender age of 5 would have been extremely high. Since then, science has come a long way in understanding infectious diseases - what they are, how they spread, and how they can be prevented. But diseases like HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, or the flu are still major killers worldwide, and novel emerging diseases are a constant threat to public health. In addition, the bugs are evolving. Antibiotics, our most potent weapon against bacterial infections, are losing their power because the bacteria are becoming resistant. In this course, we'll explore the major themes of infectious diseases dynamics. After we’ve covered the basics, we'll be looking at the dynamics of the flu, and why we're worried about flu pandemics. We'll be looking at the dynamics of childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough, which were once considered almost eradicated, but are now making a comeback. We'll explore Malaria, and use it as a case study of the evolution of drug resistance. We'll even be looking at social networks - how diseases can spread from you to your friends to your friends' friends, and so on. And of course we’ll be talking about vaccination too. We’ll also be talking about how mobile phones, social media and crowdsourcing are revolutionizing disease surveillance, giving rise to a new field of digital epidemiology. And yes, we will be talking about Zombies - not human zombies, but zombie ants whose brains are hijacked by an infectious fungus. We're looking forward to having you join us for an exciting course!...

DB

Apr 23, 2016

Can't fault this course at all and nor would I want to. Very interesting, brilliantly presented and the range of experts really enhanced it. It was engaging and made me keen to find out more.

SN

Apr 12, 2016

great course and its intensive learning . One might think its just another course . However, one needs to follow all the lectures and notes closely to be able to pass all their assignments .

126 - 150 of 297 Reviews for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

By alexander z

Nov 02, 2016

it's so great to study this course with such a comprehensive discussion of epidemics.

By Alicia M

May 23, 2018

Great course! It was informative and better prepared me for my upcoming MPH program.

By Mauricio A A

Dec 01, 2015

Is so cool to me, the oportunity and is very terrific the explications...

Very Good!

By Harrison A

Aug 31, 2015

Video lectures were engaging and conveyed information in an easily understood way.

By Hari P

Jun 09, 2020

Course structure and the explanations are excellent. Really enjoyed the course.

By TANAKA P N

Dec 15, 2017

This course is super fine,slpendid.It gives a person more time to concentrate .

By Noor B

Oct 18, 2016

Nice course for making core concept about infectious diseases. Thank's to all

By James F

Sep 19, 2018

This was a well put together course. The short 3 minute videos were perfect!

By Devdatta T

Feb 02, 2016

Great course

Complex terms simplified and explained well by all professors.

By Rida A S

It was extremely informative and I learned a lot from this wonderful course.

By Karalee H

Dec 17, 2015

I loved this course and learned way more than I thought I would. Thank you!

By Luis R G

Jun 12, 2020

Un muy buen curso, te explica las cosas de manera sencilla y muy práctica.

By BOOVENDRAVARMAN S

Jun 08, 2020

Very much useful i wish every one should take up this course and complete.

By Andrya D

Jun 02, 2020

Very helpful and interesting. I really enjoyed learning from all of you!

By Juan J L

Sep 22, 2017

A great course that simplify the aspects surrounding how epidemics work.

By Lavanya

Jan 15, 2020

Gained an excellent knowledge on basis of epidemiology well instructed

By Marina B M

Nov 05, 2019

Really cool, basic knowledge! It is a great introduction to the field.

By Christian Y

Apr 22, 2020

Awesome course, loved the additional lecture panel videos at the end!

By Jean-Jacques B

Mar 06, 2017

Very interesting modern views on epidemiology of infectious diseases.

By Maria M

Jan 15, 2017

Really enjoyed the variety contained within this course - thank you!

By Nahuel E P

Oct 07, 2019

Es excelente! Contenido muy didactico, super claro. Lo recomiendo.

By Monira A

Oct 16, 2018

very very very clear and informative I'm very glad that i enrolled

By Nivetha R

Dec 20, 2015

Highly Informative.... good detailing right from basic concepts...

By Colin J C G

Aug 16, 2015

Well devilered, interesting and engaging.

10/10, would learn again!

By Mehnaz A

Jun 08, 2020

Extremely interesting, learnt many new things about epidemiology!