Back to Exploratory Data Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Exploratory Data Analysis by Johns Hopkins University

This course covers the essential exploratory techniques for summarizing data. These techniques are typically applied before formal modeling commences and can help inform the development of more complex statistical models. Exploratory techniques are also important for eliminating or sharpening potential hypotheses about the world that can be addressed by the data. We will cover in detail the plotting systems in R as well as some of the basic principles of constructing data graphics. We will also cover some of the common multivariate statistical techniques used to visualize high-dimensional data....

Y
Sep 23, 2017

Very good course! It provide me the foundation in learning how to plot and interpret data. This will definitely strengthen my "R programming" to generate publication type figure for my genomics data!

CC
Jul 28, 2016

This is the second course I have taken from Roger Peng and both were outstanding. I have a strong math background, but not much of a background in stats, but this course was very approachable for me.

51 - 75 of 799 Reviews for Exploratory Data Analysis

By Adi T

Jan 21, 2017

It starts to get a little more technical and complicated when I reach Week 3. A lot of things about Dimension Reduction and K-means method. I would love to have some assignments or exercises on that.

Other than that, I love this module.

By Dev P

Jan 5, 2020

Great course providing a good overview into the various plotting systems in R. I enjoyed the introduction to principal components analysis and singular value decomposition, but could have used more material to practise these methods

By Alexander R

Sep 22, 2018

The exploratory data analysis is a very important part of the elaboration of a data product because this period helps to understand the most important variables and the elements to construct models and visualize an early result.

By Omar

Dec 14, 2016

One of the best parts is the introduction of Singular Value Decomposition and Principal Component Analysis. Also does K-means and other clustering.

I would recommend reading the handouts to you get the math behind the technique.

By Rosa C V

Feb 3, 2020

Me encanto el curso! Buenos profesores, el curso estuvo modulado de la manera interesante y el ingles estuvo fácil de entender. La parte practica me motivo a poder continuar con los siguientes cursos de la especialización.

By Lloyd N

Dec 20, 2016

This course is excellent in that it gave a great introduction to the plotting functions in R. They also introduced singular value decomposition, which is a concept that is interested but wish the course went deeper into.

By BOUZENNOUNE Z E

Mar 10, 2018

That's a wonderful course, especially if you take it with the specialization, and also better if used with the recommended books. I highly recommend, but once you finish it, you should continue to work on your own ;)

By Garrett F

May 22, 2020

Learned how to look at data and get some first impressions using exploratory data analysis techniques. I wish the second course project was more involved by including hierarchical clustering methods in the analysis.

By Varun B

Mar 22, 2018

The right amount of theory and practical. This course will take you through the process on how do you ascertain what's important? and how to find that needle in the haystack? . Absolutely recommend to take this up.

By Runhao Z

Oct 16, 2017

The peer review takes so long..................................................................................... which costs me extra money even though I have finished all the stuff 1.5days before the last day.

By Rooholamin R

Feb 16, 2019

I learned a lot from this course. Content which the course covers was a third of what I learnt from this course. the best thing about it is learning the pattern of thinking about exploring a whole new dataset.

By James W

Sep 7, 2016

Really nicely explained, learned so many useful methods for data analysis in R. The dimensionr reduction and principal component analyses walkthroughs were a little tricky for a newbie in those areas though.

By Juan P L R

Sep 6, 2020

Excellent course for Exploratory Data Analysis. The focus on plots with the three systems R handles was great. The lecture are great overall, along with the assignments. It is really an enjoyable course.

By Yang F (

Sep 24, 2017

By Craig

Jul 29, 2016

By Felix E

Jul 29, 2019

Good Course. Would've like a bit more about more advanced plotting and less about clustering techniques but that is probably mainly down to what data each is intending on handling after this course.

By Imran A

Jan 18, 2016

Very nice course, plotting data to explore and understand various features and their relationship is the key in any research domain, and this course teaches the skill required to achieve this.

By André V d C

Feb 1, 2016

Muito bom o curso com abordagem das formas de exploração dos dados via gráficos. Não achei um curso pesado e denso mas substancial para o aprimoramento na linguagem R e na ciência de dados.

By Eswara K

Jun 6, 2020

Awesome course that expands on your R knowledge. Only nitpick is that some of the links don't work and the videos need an overhaul as there seem to be little to no updates since 2015/2016.

By Imran S

Nov 26, 2020

This is a great course. The basics are explained very clearly and very easy to understand. I highly recommend this course for those who wish to start in Data Analyst / Data Science track.

By Mohammad A

Jul 4, 2018

Excellent explanation and adding very good skills on the way of data science specialization.For some slides they should be updated to have working URLs , some seems old and absolute now

By Mathew K

Dec 29, 2019

Great intro to plotting and related tools in R. Will say that the coverage of heatmaps and PCA felt a little out of left field, with very little intuition. However, overall quite good.

By Marco A I E

Aug 9, 2018

Loved it! It took me longer than expected due to work and family issues, but I went so many times to the materials and even use some ggplot2 for work that ended being quite fulfilling.

By Chris B

Jan 12, 2017

I did learn more about putting together a set of graphs that help to explore the data. I did see how subsetting and aggregating data helps to give a better understanding of the data.

By Leonardo M d O

Nov 6, 2017

Excellent course. I learned more than I expected. A technique that was always at hand but never used: perform analysis through graphics exploring countless variables at a single time.