Back to Financial Markets

Aug 19, 2020

76 - 100 of 3,807 Reviews for Financial Markets

By Carlos E D O

May 21, 2019

This course allowed me to have better knowledge of the financial market, I feel more confident about some subjects that I needed to understand a 100%

By Alex Q

Jun 25, 2020

Robert Shiller has clear insight of the market, and doesn't hesitate to show a path of knowledge and humanity in a market as "cold" as finances.

By Juan C O L

Jan 18, 2021

Really good course. Even if you are not interested in markets finance, you should take this as an opportunity to improve your general knowledge.

By Elizabeth S J S

Jun 24, 2020

Es muy buen curso, ayuda a tener un panorama más amplio sobre mercados financieros y como esto tiene influencia en la vida diaria.

By Евгения К

Apr 17, 2020

I enjoy the course very much.

By AKRIT S

May 19, 2019

By Ben M

Dec 18, 2018

Outstanding

By Mike Y W

Apr 24, 2018

This is an MBA level finance fundamentals course developed in 2016. Professor Shiller covers a very wide range of topics, but not in as much depth as I would have liked. The course could have been better arranged by splitting it into two (or even three) in order to provide more depth in the topics covered. I enjoyed the Professor's humor, and the application of a number of the topics in real world scenarios. I also enjoyed the salon's (Q&A with MBA students), chalk talk, and his TA providing important informational tid-bits during the lectures. I spent a lot of time pausing during the lectures to take detailed notes, forcing me to spend a lot more time than I would have liked each week, and so I didn't have time to contribute in the discussion forums.

By Alejandro V

Nov 12, 2020

Pretty good intro to finance, although I felt like Professor Shiller could have explained some things more clearly. I found myself frequently going to investopedia to understand things more clearly.

By Alex

Aug 22, 2019

Not as great as expected, but as the teacher said at the beginning, it is a global course about finance which is made for everyone, even non finance students.

By SALAUDDEEN

Dec 23, 2018

VERY GOOD COURSE. I ENJOYED A LOT

By Sriharsha P

Apr 14, 2020

Most of the description was about the back story of the topic and the ending was abrupt without a proper wrap-up. This was a little off-putting since the Rating of the course was quite high. The professor is good and his speech is quite clear and composed which is the reason for the 3 star rating.

However, these mixed feelings have thrown me into a dilemma whether to purchase a certificate or not.

By Yunqin Z

Aug 31, 2019

Topics are good. However the slides are not very well organized and include terminologies unexplained. Math and statistics touched in this course may be too fundamental for those who have a engineering/sciences background.

Principles/Concepts: 5/5

Math/statistics: 3/5

Slides & materials: 2 of 5

By Radu L

Aug 4, 2020

I'd say it's overrated. Very US-centered (I did not know). The quizzes were quire arbitrary, some questions were completely irrelevant, in my opinion. Very little math, unfortunately, and the bit that was there was barely put to use or to the test. Meh, I had higher expectations.

By Alexander J

Apr 20, 2020

Cuts up lectures and feels very disjointed, bounces from concept too concept too quickly.

By François H

Nov 2, 2017

To many discussions... not really a financial course

By Bruce

Mar 31, 2020

Good content but Presentation is quite rambling

By Albert A B

Sep 5, 2020

I prefer a course that teaches the fundamentals of financial markets in an Objective manner. Just watching the first few videos seems like you are pushing some type of personal ideology or agenda. Though it may have good intentions, I personally would rather a course without alluding to your views of morality and how everyone should give away their money.

On the contrary, I would argue that if wealth is created / preserved/ grown And kept within a family for many generations rather than fully donated to philanthropy, that family will likely not just sit on it under a mattress but it will "circulate" through the economy again anyway. For example, if a family wealth portfolio is kept or managed at any one of the big banks or investment houses, it is essentially recirculating since it is not in a box but getting re-invested and so on. Essentially just numbers in a spreadsheet at that point.. but numbers that may end up financing a poor family's mortgage, business loan, and of course the tax revenue to the state via tax on capital gains and dividends.

Best regards.

By Dariya O

Nov 14, 2020

Hello sirs, it is clear that the professor has a lot of knowledge in the Financial Markets area. However I have decided to leave this course without finishing it as it has no structure and I must say, no real knowledge given... Instead, a lot of concepts are being discussed during the videos, making it very difficult for the real BEGINNERS to even understand the subject of the discussion. This is definitely not a learning course for beginners, instead it's a set of discussion videos on some subjects, that don't even follow any specific flow or have any relation to each other... I am very disappointed with this course and will look around for a different one that can really EDUCATE me on the Financial Markets and their concepts. But thank you for trying...

By Kostas C

Oct 20, 2020

Training consisted by videos which were more like academic lectures, in which, no specific and concrete topics were presented explained, but they were more like story telling/discussions/interviews with the lecturer. Mr. Robert Shiller might be a very bright and experienced professional in finance, he also seems a very polite man, but I found it very difficult to follow and understand his lectures and way of structuring the information. I would it prefer the information to be more organized in topics which are clearly defined and explained.

By Kerry M

Aug 18, 2020

I can't access the quiz 5 and beyond. I'd really like to continue, and to complete the quizzes. I'm finding it difficult to troubleshoot. It says that "the session will be unlocked when the session begins". When I click on the quiz it asks me to "reset my deadlines". (The deadline for the quiz is 7 Sep so I have time.) When I click on "reset my deadlines" the message is "Something went wrong. Please try again." That's been happening for over a week. I'm losing time. arrghghghgh .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry McGovern

By Rachna V S

Jun 15, 2020

This couse seems to completely deviate from the main topic. it should include how to read the financial market closely, technical part of it like changes, how to assess multiple companies and track there movement. Instead of giving some stories of the Amercan area. I am deeply disappointed and it is not at all up to my expectation. The previous course that i did was remararkably informative and relevant.

How to I unenroll without wasting my money! Please help.

thank You!

By Steve S

Jul 20, 2020

While I was not forced to sign an honors pledge that I read all the readings and attended the tutorials that would have been required at Yale, I genuinely enjoyed the course. I'm grateful. Schiller came across to me as humble, but highly informed. He obviously crafted this course for Yalies, which I am not, but getting the same information that these privileged folks got (at great expense for them, but not for me) was a generous gift.

While I am an investor with monies I never expected to be responsible for when I was younger, the synthetic grasp of the financial markets is simply all the more valuable to me. This is a case where the more we know, the more we have ears to hear. Agreeing with all his perspectives or those of Yale as a cultural community is not necessary for me to benefit from this overview.

I appreciated the careful selection of interesting shorts, rather than just a sequential taping of an actual course. The addition of non-lecture vignettes was helpful, and lowered the monotony of the lectures.

The quizzes and assignment were quite doable, and the ability to re-take them until I got a passing grade was appropriate for me as an adult learner.

One comment I would add is that the choice to pursue financial capital first or to apply one's gifts to add value to the world now is not so straightforward as Schiller suggests. If you place your focus on finances first, that will enhance your chances of reaping a financial harvest. If you instead place your focus on reaping a relational harvest, the human capital you invest in may far outweigh any finances you forgo.

Likewise I would add that moral hazard besets all participants in financial markets. Anyone who believes themselves immune has only increased their risk. We always deceive ourselves first before we deceive anyone else, and we are all most easily deceived by the people who know us most intimately.

By sam j

Feb 11, 2020

the first time thank you, Mr Robert Shiller, his lessons

Financial Market

Understanding the Financial Markets

Financial markets play a vital role in facilitating the smooth operation of capitalist economies by allocating resources and creating liquidity for businesses and entrepreneurs. The markets make it easy for buyers and sellers to trade their financial holdings. Financial markets create securities products that provide a return for those who have excess funds (Investors/lenders) and make these funds available to those who need additional money (borrowers).

The stock market is just one type of financial market. Financial markets are made by buying and selling numerous types of financial instruments including equities, bonds, currencies, and derivatives. Financial markets rely heavily on informational transparency to ensure that the markets set prices that are efficient and appropriate. The market prices of securities may not be indicative of their intrinsic value because of macroeconomic forces like taxes

Some financial markets are small with little activity, and others, like the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), trade trillions of dollars of securities daily. The equities (stock) market is a financial market that enables investors to buy and sell shares of publicly traded companies. The primary stock market is where new issues of stocks, called initial public offerings (IPOs), are sold. Any subsequent trading of stocks occurs in the secondary market, where investors buy and sell securities that they already own