Back to Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Markets by Yale University

IH
Mar 9, 2021

This course is easy to follow and interesting. Professor Shiller is very motivating. It not teaching about finance but more importantly how finance can build a better life for all. Really recommended.

JC
Aug 19, 2020

76 - 100 of 4,131 Reviews for Financial Markets

By Nicholas K

Apr 23, 2020

Great course for people to understand the nature of the financial market and how understanding the concepts will benefit yourselves to understand how finance play a big role in every aspect of life.

By FREDERICO G S

Feb 26, 2021

Excellent course, driving to understand the principles of Financial Markets. If you want to understand the fundamentals of financial markets, then you should do this course.

By Mitali J

Nov 26, 2018

Incredibly well taught course by Professor Shiller which is very informative and covers a broad range of topics. So glad that I took this course! I highly recommend it!

By Carlos E D O

May 21, 2019

This course allowed me to have better knowledge of the financial market, I feel more confident about some subjects that I needed to understand a 100%

By Alex Q

Jun 25, 2020

Robert Shiller has clear insight of the market, and doesn't hesitate to show a path of knowledge and humanity in a market as "cold" as finances.

By Juan C O L

Jan 18, 2021

Really good course. Even if you are not interested in markets finance, you should take this as an opportunity to improve your general knowledge.

By Elizabeth S J S

Jun 24, 2020

Es muy buen curso, ayuda a tener un panorama más amplio sobre mercados financieros y como esto tiene influencia en la vida diaria.

By Евгения К

Apr 17, 2020

I enjoy the course very much.

By AKRIT S

May 19, 2019

By Ben M

Dec 18, 2018

Outstanding

By Mike Y W

Apr 24, 2018

This is an MBA level finance fundamentals course developed in 2016. Professor Shiller covers a very wide range of topics, but not in as much depth as I would have liked. The course could have been better arranged by splitting it into two (or even three) in order to provide more depth in the topics covered. I enjoyed the Professor's humor, and the application of a number of the topics in real world scenarios. I also enjoyed the salon's (Q&A with MBA students), chalk talk, and his TA providing important informational tid-bits during the lectures. I spent a lot of time pausing during the lectures to take detailed notes, forcing me to spend a lot more time than I would have liked each week, and so I didn't have time to contribute in the discussion forums.

By Alejandro V

Nov 12, 2020

Pretty good intro to finance, although I felt like Professor Shiller could have explained some things more clearly. I found myself frequently going to investopedia to understand things more clearly.

By Alex

Aug 22, 2019

Not as great as expected, but as the teacher said at the beginning, it is a global course about finance which is made for everyone, even non finance students.

By SALAUDDEEN

Dec 23, 2018

VERY GOOD COURSE. I ENJOYED A LOT

By Adrian J C

Jun 23, 2020

Considering it is a beginner level course in Coursera, it's not really an introductory course. I find it somewhat predominantly behavioral finance, and most of the concepts were not well-defined or explained. The available downloadable powerpoint lectures aren't that meaningful. Lectures involving mathematical formulas were not even explained with sufficient effort, so you end up researching about it yourself. Prof. Shiller is an awesome lecturer, but there were times when I didn't understand what he was talking about at all. It feels a bit more intermediate, so the good thing about this course is you acquire some advance concepts in finance and Prof. Shiller has really shared some wonderful insights about finance during Salon discussions. Honestly speaking though, if you're looking for something really fundamental about Finance then this is not the course for you. You are better off taking Finance and Capital Markets at Khan Academy. Otherwise, a non-credit course certificate from Yale sounds good too, I guess.

By Sriharsha P

Apr 14, 2020

Most of the description was about the back story of the topic and the ending was abrupt without a proper wrap-up. This was a little off-putting since the Rating of the course was quite high. The professor is good and his speech is quite clear and composed which is the reason for the 3 star rating.

However, these mixed feelings have thrown me into a dilemma whether to purchase a certificate or not.

By Yunqin Z

Aug 31, 2019

Topics are good. However the slides are not very well organized and include terminologies unexplained. Math and statistics touched in this course may be too fundamental for those who have a engineering/sciences background.

Principles/Concepts: 5/5

Math/statistics: 3/5

Slides & materials: 2 of 5

By Radu L

Aug 4, 2020

I'd say it's overrated. Very US-centered (I did not know). The quizzes were quire arbitrary, some questions were completely irrelevant, in my opinion. Very little math, unfortunately, and the bit that was there was barely put to use or to the test. Meh, I had higher expectations.

By Alexander J

Apr 20, 2020

Cuts up lectures and feels very disjointed, bounces from concept too concept too quickly.

By François H

Nov 2, 2017

To many discussions... not really a financial course

By Bruce

Mar 31, 2020

Good content but Presentation is quite rambling

By Albert A B

Sep 5, 2020

I prefer a course that teaches the fundamentals of financial markets in an Objective manner. Just watching the first few videos seems like you are pushing some type of personal ideology or agenda. Though it may have good intentions, I personally would rather a course without alluding to your views of morality and how everyone should give away their money.

On the contrary, I would argue that if wealth is created / preserved/ grown And kept within a family for many generations rather than fully donated to philanthropy, that family will likely not just sit on it under a mattress but it will "circulate" through the economy again anyway. For example, if a family wealth portfolio is kept or managed at any one of the big banks or investment houses, it is essentially recirculating since it is not in a box but getting re-invested and so on. Essentially just numbers in a spreadsheet at that point.. but numbers that may end up financing a poor family's mortgage, business loan, and of course the tax revenue to the state via tax on capital gains and dividends.

Best regards.

By Dariya O

Nov 14, 2020

Hello sirs, it is clear that the professor has a lot of knowledge in the Financial Markets area. However I have decided to leave this course without finishing it as it has no structure and I must say, no real knowledge given... Instead, a lot of concepts are being discussed during the videos, making it very difficult for the real BEGINNERS to even understand the subject of the discussion. This is definitely not a learning course for beginners, instead it's a set of discussion videos on some subjects, that don't even follow any specific flow or have any relation to each other... I am very disappointed with this course and will look around for a different one that can really EDUCATE me on the Financial Markets and their concepts. But thank you for trying...

By Kostas C

Oct 20, 2020

Training consisted by videos which were more like academic lectures, in which, no specific and concrete topics were presented explained, but they were more like story telling/discussions/interviews with the lecturer. Mr. Robert Shiller might be a very bright and experienced professional in finance, he also seems a very polite man, but I found it very difficult to follow and understand his lectures and way of structuring the information. I would it prefer the information to be more organized in topics which are clearly defined and explained.