Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

AE
Jun 21, 2018

SD
Aug 6, 2020

I really enjoyed doing the course, Very elaborate and informative course. Things are simplified so much that anybody can understand the basics of nutrition which helps in making the wise food choices.

76 - 100 of 5,246 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Joris B

Aug 9, 2020

Hello, Many thanks for this excellent course. I was already extremely health conscious and aged 66 I have the same weight as when I was 25. I knew most of the common sense approach -Martin’s mantra- and never use processed foods but have learned much about sugar and the different types of fats, notably about trans fats and also that, in limited quantities, some saturated fats are acceptable. More info on cheese, potatoes and alcohol would have been welcome. Perhaps also whether deep frozen vegetables are more /less healthy than fresh ones. In any case, I greatly enjoyed this course. Many thanks, Joris

By Tonya R

Mar 18, 2020

Good basic course. Easy to understand.

Allowing us to self pace is critical for me. I started course before it was all opened and available so I had to stop and wait a week or two for subsequent sections to open. I'd rather have full course available from start and let me take it at my pace but within a specified period of time. Usually I can complete more in one setting and other times life means you have to start and stop and return a week later. For example the 2020 pandemic also impacted when I could finish this course. But as we isolate I will be able to take more courses Amen!

By Jovana D

Nov 7, 2016

This is a great course for someone who is just getting into the whole healthy eating thing. As someone who is familiar with Michael Pollan, (I'm a huge fan!), I didn't hear too many new things. Nevertheless, the course has a fantastic flow, it's a pleasure to listen to, and even though most of the things I was already familiar with, the course is so beautifully designed that it was great going through it again and again. Thank you Stanford University, I wish you had more courses like this, just with a bit higher level of difficulty. All the best, and good luck to the future students!

By Kameeka S

Jul 9, 2018

This course was incredibly informational. The facts and information are easy to digest (pun intended :) and share. I am so excited to share what I learned with my family and friends. I love that they give you simple, actionable items and do not suggest any extreme dietary measures. I also appreciate that they do not include senseless activities, but rather simple quizzes at the end of each unit that actually challenge your understanding. The videos are very quick and easy to consume and understand. My only regret was that the course was so short and I could not learn more from them!

By Lucille C

Sep 27, 2019

In this course, I've learned about making wise and healthy decision in taking, buying, making food that is beneficial for my family and my own health. I learned that it's important to have moderation in eating, that planning is essential when buying and consuming food that will have nutritional effects on your body. I've learned that buying organic food or food with less nutritional facts is a wiser decision than opting for processed food. Most of all, preferring plant-based diet has long-term health benefits on our body, mind, and soul. Thank you Coursera and Stanford University.

By Jessica A

May 5, 2020

I am a sophomore in high school, due to the social distancing because of coronavirus I have had more time at home. I decided to take this free course and I am so glad I did. I learned so much without feeling like it was a burden, it was very simple and easy to understand. The videos are short and I especially loe that I can complete the course at my own pace meaning I don't have to worry too much about due dates. I would totally recommend this to anyone simply interested in learning more about food and health and how to make healthier decisions when it comes to our food intake.

By Brandon C

Oct 18, 2017

loved this course, as a chiropractic assistant, who works in a naturopathic facility treating neuropathy, this course has enlightened me to the many natural and fresh foods, our patients can eat happily, while enjoying the same great tasting foods as before. Many of our patients are diabetic and we encourage a natural, fresh palio diet, low in sugar and dairy / grain consumption. I loved the idea of cooking and sharing recipes with us, toward the end of this course. Thank you very much, I am sure hundreds of thousands of others can benefit from this course, as I surely have.

By Alison L

Apr 20, 2020

This course is fantastic! I really appreciated the instructor’s passion and kindness as she teaches these the subjects. I also really enjoyed her family’s involvement in the making of the videos! It was a personal touch that made a big impact on me. I have two sons, we are pretty healthy with our eating and we make working out a priority, but we can always do better, so one of the reasons I took this course is to make sure that I am doing the best I can for them, for my husband and for myself. Thank you for putting all this together, it really helped me clarify some things!

By Inga K

Jan 14, 2020

I have immensely enjoyed this course. It is a well structured and easy-to-follow course that offers basic information needed to make more informed choices about food.

Maya Adams, M.D. is a wonderful and engaging speaker - her presetations as well as her conversations with Mr. Michael Pollan kept my attention from the beginning until the very end. The selection of recipes at the end of the course was a nice bonus.

Thank you for providing this course. I sincerely hope there will be other more in-depth courses regarding this topic.

Kind regards from Bosnia and Herzegovina,

Inga

By JOURDIN W

Jul 21, 2019

Ce cours sur la santé et la nutrition me permet de savoir que la santé passe par l’assiette et l’activité physique. Avec l'acquisition de nouvelles connaissances en ce domaine j'ai fini par réaliser que les liens entre nutrition et santé sont de mieux en mieux connus, et le risque de développer de nombreuses maladies telles que: cancer, maladies cardiovasculaires, obésité ou encore de diabète de type 2, si on n'a pas équilibré et mesuré ce que nous mengeons. Ce cours me procure également des connaissances techniques, sécuritaires de préparation et de cuisson des aliments.

By Salome N L

May 2, 2020

I think this course is a very comprehensive course on introduction to food and healthy eating. It has fantastic videos were watching one of them you can learn many things, but the fantastic thing about this course is that it teaches you the wonders of the food when you know how to take advantage of it; it teaches you that there are no excuses for an excellent diet and that isn't difficult to achieve only whit an adequate consumption of vegetables and fruits you have everything. The phrase that I like the most about this course was "Eat Food, Not too much; Mostly Plants".

By Ines A

Jan 21, 2020

I really loved the course. By the way, I am thinking of attending Standford University for more options to continue learning and studying this nutrition science. I have learned skills I have not done before. I am so happy with the job I did and the way my teacher taught the subject. I also emphasize the fact that the Doctor who is interviewed geves really interesting info for the teacher to use his knowledge as a backbone to support what she is explaining. Awesome!! Congratulations for this incredible course Standford. I would like you to have more of these in this app.

By Marco

Jan 8, 2019

Very well done beginner course on food and nutrition. It has four main parts. The first part does high level introduction of key scientific concepts. It is however just to give a better understanding of the topic. The other 3 parts talk a lot about practical aspects of food and nutrition including what to eat.

I definitely recommend this course as a primer for whoever is interested in the topic. As recommended in the course as follow up i also watched two moovies Fed Up and in defense of food.

To Course and instructors, thanks for letting me learn more about the topic

By Blanca I M R

Jun 30, 2017

I think this course is great. With simple videos and explanations we can learn about our metabolism and the right way to eat. I have just studied a course here in Mexico about Applied nutrition and this course was very helpful for explaining concepts in a simple and easy way. Is the third course I take with her and I really admire her manner, and the way she make us understand concepts. I just hope that you can offer the course with subtitles in Spanish because not everybody, specally many that could appreciate the content of the course can understand English.

By Ana S A M

Apr 28, 2020

I reeeally loved that, as you said, sometimes nutritionists go with super hard and big words about nutrition, and their patients or beginners like me end up like "what?", but you, mostly at the end, talk about how to shop wisely, how to read the labels, how to choose the right food and how to cook such simple and easy and totally delicious meals... you make it look even easier. and you talk about easy and simple but useful tips that I never saw coming haha. but for sure it was also really necessary the technical part as well. definitely an awesome course ;)

By David B

Aug 21, 2017

This is the second course I have taken on food and nutrition that was taught by Maya Adam MD. This course and the related videos are excellent just like the first course I took. Maya is a wonderful instructor. She presents the information about food and nutrition in an easy manner that anyone can learn from, understand and then utilize the information that she presents in order to make better healthy food selections while at home, on the go and while shopping in a grocery store. I highly recommend everyone take all of Dr Adam's food and nutrition courses.

By Holly H

Aug 29, 2020

Michael Pollan's 7 words: EAT FOOD, NOT TOO MUCH, MOSTLY PLANTS totally simplies the current confusion around what to eat and how to construct your diet: keto?, paleo?, vegetarian?, etc. This course take a complex subjects and simplifies it and presents the most basic stepping stones. I feel that by following those 7 simple words and seeing processed foods for wrihat they are: profit makers for large companies - I can avoid processed foods, focus on whole foods & NUTRITION and enjoy my food experiences. No more second guessing every food choice I make!!!

By Andrew H

Jan 12, 2018

It has been almost a year since I have taken this class, and switched up my diet to be more aligned with what I learned. The results have been great. I feel healthier, more alert during the day and have more energy than ever before. I am making smarter food decisions, and have a better relationship with my food. I thought eating "healthy" was going to be more expensive, but instead I have actually saved money on grocery shopping by cutting out a lot of processed foods, meats, and snacks. This is a great class and I highly recommend it to everyone.

By Norma G

Jun 29, 2016

I really enjoyed this course.

The explanations were very clear, she caught up my attention and I also love the book: "Food, Love, family". I absolutely recommend everybody in this course to get it.

As a testimony, my life has totally changed, I started love cooking, I enjoyed trying new foods, and I want to make a better world by education in nutrition and the need for all parents in the planet to know more about how can they love their family better by eating healthy, fresh and homemade food together.

Thank you, Maya.

Cheers from Zacatecas, Mexico.

By Suzanne W

Jul 14, 2020

It is a great "basics" course. The U.S. and the world is suffering from an obesity epidemic. So many people don't know how or why to cook at home. This course gives just what you need to get started onto a healthier track. If you are already well informed about eating healthy food it will be too basic. It is a great place to send people who need to change to a healthier lifestyle in the kitchen. There is background music while the professor talks which was bothersome, would have preferred that the music was just when there was no lecture.

By Nicolas A

Jan 27, 2016

Great introduction! I will definitely recommend this course to many of my relatives to whom I struggle to explain what a healthy diet means! To me, two aspects could be emphasized a bit more as I can see many people trying to eat healthy making those mistakes: 1. eating natural non organic food is better than processed organic food, 2. marketed healthy food is usually not healthy (orange juices etc.) as natural healthy food does not have to be marketed. Raise awareness against marketing labels "organic" and "healthy"

Great job! Thanks a lot.

By Alisha P K

May 2, 2020

It is one of the best courses I have done. I believe, food is consumed by every human and it is high time that people should be aware of the food they intake everyday. The highlight of this study is it is simple to understand and can be easily remembered for any age group. I will recommend my friends and family to do it too just for knowledge purpose. I have already started making so many changes in my food intake, food items, food portion and my grocery lists. Thank you for providing us the course with amazing insights of food and health.

By Cynthia Y

Feb 12, 2020

This course truly helped me understand the importance of choosing the right foods to eat. It taught me about nutrition labels and how marketing can easily fool us into thinking something is healthy to eat when it really isn't. I loved the simple explanations which helped me really understand the information in a clear way. From now on I wıll base our meals around the vegetables I wıll cook for that day and I wıll be sure to remind myself and my loved ones to stop eating once we are no longer hungry. Thank you for the life changing tips!

By Tatsiana Z

Jul 4, 2020

Wow! I enjoyed this course so much!Even though I know a lot of information but Dr. Maya is explaining those concepts about food in simple way and paid attention how is important to eat healthy and cook at home.

I came from a different background and I am cooking food for my family and I can see that American culture doesn't pay attention that eating at home will subside so many problems vs eating outside or processing food.

The last week was fulfilled with easy and healthy recipes which I am definitely will cook at home.

Great class!

By Ameya D

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent Course! Folks this is not just about type of nutrients and nutrition. All your questions regarding will be answered through this course. It does not only tell you what not to but also tell you what should you eat and what amount, I think that is the most important thing.

I highly recommend everyone (even if you think you are not fat, you are very healthy) to follow this course. You can see there are years and years of research and experiments are explained in very simple words and along with solutions to all problems we face.