Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

JJ
Jan 22, 2021

Love how Maya presented the course and I especially love the cooking sessions featuring her cute kids. I am looking forward to reading her book or if she has any YT account featuring more home cooking

TL
Sep 30, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

6451 - 6475 of 6,519 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

Oct 6, 2020

av .

By Leah C

Feb 24, 2021

I really am shocked to see that an institution of higher learning is teaching a course about health that talks about the BMI (Body Mass Index) number in its lessons. If you've studied health and nutrition you would know that a calculation that only takes in two factors (your height and your weight) is not an accurate or conclusive way to measure someone's health. It also plays a huge part in perpetuating fat phobia in the medical field. I am highly disappointed in this course and how outdated its definition of health is.

By Savich I

Oct 9, 2020

Waste of time. Didn't expect this from any university.

Basic nutritionology course looks like an advertisement for a cook book from the lecturer of this course with recipes that I would not cook for myself, not only for children (fried, flour, sweet, food of animal origin). As if this lecturer still lives in the last century and is trying to teach us to eat rightI. I can find more advanced nutritional information in youtube or instagram. Only many making, no science and health care. Wouldn't recommend!

By Arkadiusz

Jun 8, 2019

I am very disappointed. Many bromides like "eat more vegetables", "avoid highly processed products", but there is little scientific background it his course. I expected to get more information about how different product impact our health, and why we should follow certain rules - just to understand all the mechanism by my own and make my own educated decision in the future in terms of nutrition - not just follow blindly the stuff we are told that are supposedly healthy...

By Michaela H

May 10, 2018

Very basic information, great if this is your first time learning about food and health, but if you've ever read a Michael Pollin book on the subject of food, no new information. Not the sort of college class I would have expected from Stanford. The cooking videos with the gal and her kids are actually adorable, and had some cool gluten free recipes associated with them. Not sure it was worth slogging through the rest of the class for, so skip to the end.

By Eduard R

May 8, 2020

Expected much more from Stanford University. The course content is more likely life-coaching, rather than scientific. My personal impression that the course content for 2020 is a matter of general knowledge and the best target auditory for the course would be the middle school. The course is nicely constructed and presented, easy to read and follow... however basically, nothing to learn about food and health.

By Sandrine R

Apr 13, 2020

Very disappointing. I do agree with the other comments mentioning that this is very surprising for Stanford and Coursera. This is really basic, basic, basic. I thought I was going to learn much more on the nutrition aspects, various vitamins, minerals, how to absorb them, how can they be fixed in the body etc. This is just very basic healthy habits probably for people living in the USA from a junk food diet.

By shilpa D

Apr 19, 2021

Very subjective course. At one point they say 'don't look at the centre isles of supermarket where packaged goods are kept' and then they say 'always keep tinned fish at home?!'

I was also wondering that why a school so famous for medicine could not find a nutritionist for interview and instead had to choose a prof in journalism for discussions about nutrition ?!! So strange!

By Jessica C

Jun 13, 2020

Unfortunately, this course did not live up to my expectations. Although I did not expect the course to be challenging, since it is presented as a simple introduction to food and health, the facts and learning materials presented were inexplicably basic. This course was neither informative or engaging, and was quite frankly, a disappointing experience.

By Madeline t

Mar 15, 2021

This was more like a documentary than what I would call a course. I was expecting a scientific approach to the subject. Nonetheless, this "course" highlights very well the cultural gap between Europe and the US so if you are from Europe (mostly France, Italy, Spain...) don't waste your time as I just did!

By Chris R

May 1, 2021

This started off being quite fun and informative, then just turned into an advert for Grokker, Michael Pollan's books and Maya's gluten-free books and videos. Add in the outrageous misinformation about non-organic foods being "pesticide laden" and it reduces to the level of a well orchestrated farce.

By Shradha M

Sep 28, 2020

The course is extremely basic, something which could be covered in 6th to 8th grade in school or even by a simple YouTube video. The focus is entirely on obesity, avoidance of processed and sugary foods, and a shift to home cooked meals. I had joined hoping to learn more in detail on nutrition.

By Flor P

Jan 5, 2017

I was expecting much more from a Stanford or Coursera course. Lack of scientific evidence .Processed foods have become an easy villain among many people and the idea that processed foods are dangerous to our health and the responsible for all our problems is a mistake. Very disappointing.

By Vagon B

Nov 29, 2020

Outdated nutrition advice throughout the whole course. They are pushing the same old "whole foods", "whole grain" WHO approved nonsense. Fill your plate half full with vegetables and add, and I quote, "very little protein and fats" is their advice. Very low quality for Stanford.

By Pablo S F d S

May 8, 2020

This course is pretty much a big comercial about eating healthy, that is actually something that maybe the world needs but certanly no with formational porpuses.

There is preatty much no information that would not be seen in the news or googleling how to eat healthy.

By Dyakova N

Jun 24, 2018

Курс оказался очень низким по уровню предоставленных знаний. В стране, где я живу, у каждого есть кухня и никого не нужно учить готовить элементарную еду. Что вредно есть транс-жиры и так давно всем понятно. Ничего полезного я для себя не извлекла.

By stevie f

Apr 8, 2020

Truly disappointed in this course and upset I spent the money to get the certificate of completion. The only module that was informative was the macro + metabolism. I would have rather preferred a course in depth from Michael Pollan himself.

By Clarissa S

Jul 9, 2021

T​his course has no interesting information and does not go into details. All the information given is quite vague and to be found easy on the internet if you are interested in the topic.

By Igor K

Feb 9, 2016

This is not a course - this is a 90 minutes lecture.

The idea is greate. But this lecture is only start. Its very brief and not profound.

This more advices and not scientifically oriented.