Back to Fundamentals of Graphic Design

CS

May 10, 2018

An ok course for beginners. A bit too basic for someone who has already had experience in design, but is great anyway cause it breaks things back down to the simplest parts to help you remember roots.

GA

Aug 21, 2018

Very interesting, I liked the format. Easy to follow, nice excercises. It's actually good to cover the basics of design, even if you are not an absolute beginner, and especially if you are self taught

1 - 25 of 1,457 Reviews for Fundamentals of Graphic Design

By Sunny D

Oct 15, 2015

I was led to believe that I would be learning the fundamentals of graphic design, which to me means learning how to use Photoshop, InDesign, etc. This is more about learning how to create art in general, not exactly what I'm looking for.

By Giancarlo A

Aug 21, 2018

By Nathaly W

Apr 17, 2019

I really enjoyed how this course was laid out. I took design in high school, but never really grasped the concepts of design until my final year. This course really added a structure to the basic things I already knew and gave me a way to understand them separately, how to use them separately and then smoosh them all together. I had great fun doing the assignments and the course work was explained in a clear and understandable way.

By Leah E

Apr 11, 2019

I have taken graphics coursework at a number of institutions of higher learning. I appreciate the straightforward, simplified and accessible way the information is presented in a logical and sequential format to create a foundational understanding of the essential elements of graphic design. Weeks 3 and 4 are where it really comes together. I found these lectures of such critical importance that I saved them all. For a short term course, without the more extensive commitment of a full 16-week term one might find elsewhere, if one commits the time and effort to undertake all of the assignments, I found as much value in this course as I have in more traditional programs. It's reminded me of why I love graphic design, and although it's a basic introductory course, I was excited to undertake these exercises and do it all over again. This class is worth your time, effort and attention. Thank you CalArts and Coursera!

By Chriselle S

May 10, 2018

By rebecca

Apr 04, 2017

I would not recommend this one to any paying customer. This is the second intro to Graphic Design class I have take on Coursera, and I found the way the material was presented in the CalArts course to be quite slow and pretty boring. Our assignments were simple and I felt no excitement in doing them. It would have been beneficial to see how these fundamental building blocks could be used in real life design. The other class (by CU-Boulder) made me want to continue learning ,and I felt excited to complete the projects whereas with this class I was forcing myself to sit down to finish just the required ones.

By Ehab M

Aug 08, 2016

i hate to say it, but this course is really really bad ... not practical at all. i'm not sure where this is all going. maybe by the fourth course in the series, 100 hours later of lectures, you might have something practical but this approach feels wrong. i'm sorry, it's a reputable school and who the hell am I, but one man's opinion: rethink how you go about introducing the newbie to graphic design as it's applicable to the real world.

By Antonio D O

May 04, 2019

Loved this class! Michael is a great teacher, it is very clear that he has a lot of knowledge and i feel that he truly cares about teaching as well as his students. The exercises were perfect and gave me the basic design skills that I needed.

By Muhammad A Y

Nov 15, 2017

first i am very thankful to you to give me this opportunity to understand graphics designing in the real way . its very creative course i really learn a lot from this course . amazing . thanks a lot.

By AMIN R

Apr 18, 2016

very good introductory course. i enjoyed the assignments, they are not overwhelming, easy to start, and the optional ones offer great opportunity to dig little deeper into graphic design fundamentals.

By Katie K

Oct 26, 2016

Great class. I really enjoyed all of the assignments. At times, I wish the lectures would have been a little longer so as to include more information / detail. All and all, really enjoyed the course!

By Magda A H

Jan 31, 2019

one of the greatest courses i ever attendant

By Ernesto J

May 09, 2019

This course is really helpful for understanding the objective of the graphic design.

By Elena C

Feb 02, 2018

Great opportunity to practice. Encouraged to make. First time using vector design program Abode Illustrator. Was hard to listen to all Contrast Section. It would be great if there was more diversity.

By Júlia U

Oct 29, 2018

El curso está bien, aprendes aspectos básicos del diseño gráfico y te permiten experimentar con ellos. Su mayor problema es que el nivel de exigencia es muy bajo, los proyectos más interesantes son optativos y en ningún momento te corrige un profesor, sino otros alumnos del curso (que muchas veces ponen 0 esfuerzo en dicha corrección).

A pesar de ello he aprendido y lo recomiendo a gente que esté empezando en el mundo del diseño gráfico, aunque es mejor tomárselo como un auto-aprendizaje que como un curso tutelado.

By Faizad k

Nov 18, 2018

Its good course for basics learning

By Sara M I M

Nov 19, 2018

A very useful and necessary basic course.

By Matías A

Dec 04, 2018

Excellent course as an introduction to the graphic design world and it' s principle concepts.

By Mariya N P

Dec 04, 2018

K

By Daniel H

Dec 19, 2018

Excelent course. It can help you a lot to enforce your design skills, or you can star a real career with this course.

By Nuria M F

Dec 08, 2018

It has been very pleasant and very useful. A fantastic base to continue learning

By Charles I W

Dec 09, 2018

Very proffesional

By Autumn

Dec 24, 2018

Great course for complete beginners. Lots of hands on projects

By Raluca P

Dec 11, 2018

Great course for beginners! Thank you!

By Gillian S

Dec 10, 2018

brilliant

great to have a certificate and more knowledge in stuff i've been doing for years to promote my business ventures