Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

101 - 125 of 678 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Jahleel K B

Apr 13, 2017

I have learned a lot. Very simple and direct to the point lessons and assignments were very helpful to deeply understand each week's lesson. All the peers are very open and helpful as well. A+ community!

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Kiara A F

Sep 20, 2021

A super fun class, it really helped me understand the overall concept on video games and how to start with them. I recommend this class to anyone that wants to start making interesting video games.

By Pedro A

Aug 7, 2016

This was a very enlightening course! I have played some games through my life, but now I have the knowledge of a person who studies to the develop my own game. I'll recommend it to all my friends.

By Thiha K

Jun 20, 2021

As someone who plays video game for his whole life, this is the course I can relate everything with the games I have played in my life. This course lead me to the journey where I want to start.

By Mikael L G

Jul 2, 2016

Probably the best course I've studied at Coursera. Fran Krause makes this little trip incredibly enjoyable and fun yet still keeping it very educative and challenging.

Really loved this course!

By Emil M

Jul 12, 2021

This ia very simple but accurate course for being an introduction to game design, and it´s also funny which makes it very different form other courses, ans that´s something I really apreciate.

By Victor A O S

Mar 9, 2017

this course is amazing the teacher is cool , funny and he explains the class in a really cool way with puppets and stuff and i learnd a lot and the best part of all is that it was fun

By Dolapo A

Oct 9, 2017

Excellent course.

Fran is such a good teacher. He addressed all my previous concerns regarding game design and explained the fundamental features in easy to approach and direct ways.

By Dana C

Nov 2, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The assignments helped me think about games in new ways, and I developed several that I will be able to use with my high school language arts students.

By FRANCOIS C

Aug 19, 2021

T​his course go straight to the point and the key knoledge are well communicated.

T​he exercises could seems boring at first glance but are in fact really interesting and adapted.

By Aditya M B

Aug 4, 2019

It was a really informative course which helped me build up my fundamentals. The assignments were fun and interesting as well and the feedback received for them was very useful.

By Aaron O

Jun 30, 2019

This course is excellently presented, with a nice splash of humour. Great core concepts covered and the assignments really impart the importance of play testing and prototyping.

By Roshni F

Feb 24, 2017

This course is going to teach you techniques on how your Video Games can become popular,can reach a wide audience.It will also talk to you about the importance of Documentation.

By Moisés A C

Apr 18, 2021

The videos each week are useful and the information they give us is really useful. Also, the text in each video is a nice addition, especially for people who only rely on text.

By Francisco U

Sep 2, 2020

it was a wonderful experience, and learn about something I'm passionate about and was challenging to think a game that can really work and not just ideas of games i never make.

By Justin D

Nov 10, 2016

Awesome the teacher is funny and it's easy! Even if you don't know programming this will help you. it shows you the basic structures and how to make your own game!! It's Great!

By Antonio P B

Oct 21, 2020

I really love this course, the videos are very engaging and very fun to watch, you learn a lot. It really inspires you you to be better, even you know where you can improved.

By Owen M

Feb 14, 2021

I really enjoyed the lectures and felt I learned a lot from each one. The assignments were interesting and helped me put things in practice without being too time consuming.

By Alejandro M G M

Sep 18, 2017

I loved it. It is a very fun and entertaining way to introduce people to the world of video game design. It is fun but at the same time you learn a lot. Thank you very much.

By M L W

Oct 16, 2016

Best of the bunch so far. I wish the others went deeper into the concepts explored here. You immediately apply what you learn to your own ideas and produce something/a game.

By Pragya J

Jul 28, 2020

Amazing teacher, everything was so easy and understandable and i loved every task and assignment. Would love to work in future with the teacher. He was amazing at teaching.

By Guilherme d S R

Oct 16, 2015

It goes direct to very basic and fundamentally important aspects of game design. Will make you ponder (and exercise) everything in a simple and meaningful way. Recommended!

By Taciane M

Aug 7, 2019

I learned a lot of cool and interesting concepts. The teacher passes the contents of the course in a very clear and simple way, and the peer-reviewing always helps a lot!

By Sarah-Louise H

Feb 7, 2017

Very good introductory course. Nice little assignments to complete. My peers were supportive and encouraging with their feedback. Would definitely recommend this course!