Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

51 - 75 of 678 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Hawra F A

Aug 25, 2020

Yup! Lives up to its name - an introduction to game design :)

The instructor is fun and a good teacher, and the lessons are short and to-the-point too!

The cameraman would sometimes steal the show, but the instructor could always get it back with direct and to-the-point lessons :D

By Garrett R W

Apr 8, 2019

I really feel like I gained a lot from this course. The concepts are simple when you think about it, but the point is that we don't often think about these foundations. I am really happy to have taken this course, and I think it set me up well for the rest of the specialization.

By Ankush S

Sep 17, 2018

The entire course was a fun filled learning time spent making something on your own from scratch.

Some might find the reviews by other peers harsh on your grades, but trust me, without some useful comments and critics, you are not going to make a fun and successful game anyway.

By Anne P

Apr 13, 2016

I think this course was a really effective way to get people thinking about the mechanics of game play. It was challenging to strip away a lot of the trappings and focus on a very pure game design. Fran is a likable teacher, and his videos were engaging and easy to understand.

By Levente B

Oct 7, 2016

I liked the way each assignment directly built on the previous one, and encouraged me to work on different aspects of a single game. While this is something I did, it was by no means mandatory, students were also free to create entirely new games from one week to the next.

By Shomudro G

Aug 9, 2020

This course as a whole was highly insightful! I didn't realize there were many intricacies and nuances that could be put into something even as simple as a game that can be made on a piece of paper! Especially the many storytelling elements and the factor of play-testing!

By Michele S

Jun 27, 2018

Great class! Instructor was fun and made his points clear. I learned a lot and, more importantly, I now *think* differently about games.You'll have to pay $50/month to get the certificate but I learned a lot from just watching the videos and doing the exercises on my own.

By Guillermo A D L C E

Sep 14, 2020

I love this course, I learn the essencials while you develop a game, what is important to keep in mind and whats are the parts in the creation of a game. I enjoyed make my own proyect game and I pourd my heart while i was developing alway looking how i could be better

By Ashley H

Feb 24, 2020

This course was an excellent introduction class. It was basic enough to easily understand the concepts without being boring either. If you're a lover of video games and of storytelling in general, this course is great to help identify key elements that make up a game.

By Kelly

Feb 14, 2016

This was a great course! Well put-together in terms of material, well made in terms of video quality (editing, etc.), and well laid out in terms of pacing. The homework assignments were fun and pushed you every week to change something about your simple paper game. A+

By Hein H Z

Jun 24, 2020

It’s a good opportunity for us during quarantine and I really enjoy the whole course. This kinds of courses don’t exist in our country. Now I feel like I have learnt something special and will keep on going to learn. This course helps one step closer to my dream.❤️

By Chomoi P

Jan 28, 2018

I found this challenging week one, but by the end I was flying. This course is brilliant and entertaining. You will really learn. A tip I found is submit your assignment early to get really helpful peer feedback. I wish I'd known that at the beginning. Good luck!

By Camilo A S R

Jan 25, 2021

Great experience before swim in the Game Design Ocean Deep!!!!!!!.... An interesting way to understand how the multiple settings, elements, and characters in a game must be thought through before delving into technical concepts. Great teacher and his assistant.

By Ng C L

Jan 3, 2019

It teaches very important basics, and has the information you need to help you get start on Game Design. Instructions are also very clear and simple for you to follow through, so even if you don't have a background knowledge, this will be a good starting point.

By Fernando C

Mar 15, 2021

The course was really interesting. Its design allows students to advance in the course smoothly and view their progress as they do. Feedback system is good as I think peer review is a great strategy to give and receive feedback. Would recommend any time. 10/10

By Marcus J

Jul 7, 2020

The course as a whole is fantastic. Information is easy to understand, and presented in engaging, humorous fashion. The idea of taking a single project and building on it across the different assignments suits the realm of game design and creation perfectly.

By Laureana S

Jun 7, 2020

I had a really fun time learning the introductory concepts to game design. The videos were easy to follow and very informative. The assignments each week built off each other well, and I feel like I ended the course with a final product I was very proud of.

By Jad M

Nov 28, 2016

This course was my first one on this website and I can say that it was a really great start. A very engaging and fruitful course that brings back to you the positive stress and excitement of the college phase.

I recommend it to everyone; even for doctors (:

By Chloe C

Feb 14, 2016

I loved how this course built on the same assignment every week, so I ended up with a really fleshed out game idea by the end of the four weeks. Also, the peer feedback was useful and pushed me to be clear about my game rules, which was definitely a task.

By Dominique M J

Sep 15, 2021

Me encanto poder aprender como hacer un juego, ya que cambio mi perspectiva que tenia al inicio. Ahora veo la importancia de tener una historia, hacer reglas , construir el escenario del juego, incluir npc,etc. Fue una experiencia enriquecedora para mí.

By Tania A

Nov 15, 2015

Even if simple (it's an introduction, after all), the contents are well structured and I appreciate how the assignments can derive from the previous one and peers' feedback. It's satisfying to see the initial idea evolve into something more developed.

By Ivan G

Nov 8, 2015

I really enjoyed taking the Introduction to Game Design course. Looking each week how other follow student's (including mine own) game designs was inspiring. A lot of creativity boost through simple ideas. Doesn't require any special/advanced skills.

By Madison T

Dec 1, 2016

This course was an excellent intro to games from the artistic point of view. I was looking for a course that could teach me the fundamentals of what a game should have to be good and this one was spot on.

My plan is to finish all five Calart courses!

By Piotr K

Feb 7, 2021

It's an interesting option for someone who has a passion for creativity and gaming. In very simple and thoughtful videos you will learn differences in games and how to build a simple board/videogame (on paper of course). I can highly recommend it.

By Maribel

Jul 31, 2020

¡Me encantaron las clases! Son divertidas, te enseñan y te explorar tu creatividad. Utilicé además los conocimientos para transladarlos a la evaluación de varias soluciones de otros proyectos y me encantó la experiencia.