Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

51 - 75 of 475 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Madison T

Dec 01, 2016

This course was an excellent intro to games from the artistic point of view. I was looking for a course that could teach me the fundamentals of what a game should have to be good and this one was spot on.

My plan is to finish all five Calart courses!

By Isac d V O

Mar 02, 2016

This is a superb course for those interested in starting with game design - or just knowing more about games. The teacher is fantastic and the teacher's assistant is... well... as fun as a muppet. Hats off to CalArts, Cousera and Fran Krause!

By Marina Z

Jul 31, 2016

I wasn't really interested in basic concepts of game design, but couldn't stop watching videos until the very end of the course! Blue pal is awesome! Also, I was glad that the assignments are open even for those who don't pay for course

By Alexander G

Feb 13, 2016

Very good course. Learned new information that proved to be useful regarding game design and also designed a board game to play with colleagues at the office. If you want to learn game design this is a great and easy way to start.

By Diego G

Jun 01, 2020

It was a really fun and educational experience. Improving the game from the simplest possible one player game to a narrative driven multiplayer experience week by week gave a lot of insight and practical challenges to learn from.

By Xavier E

Apr 02, 2020

Brilliant course ! It goes straight to the point, and the videos are super fun ! I've progressed a lot in my game design comprehension ! Thanks "Calarts" and HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thanks to Fran Krause for this wonderful course !

By Samuel S

Nov 08, 2015

Great introductory course! Everything is very well explained and you really feel how your project develops through the week. I expected it to be a bit more technical and less theoretical, but everything is still very well made

By Sarah P

Sep 27, 2015

I have been really enjoying this course! The professor is engaging in the videos and he explains things well. I also really like the assignments and the games are fun to make and review. I am learning a lot from this course!

By Матюшенко У А

Apr 19, 2020

Это было полезно и познавательно. Подача материала очень простая, но при этом я узнала много новых вещей о геймдизайне. Программирование в курсе не нужно! Вы просто знакомитесь с азами создания механики игры, ее нарратива.

By Aripov L

Sep 10, 2016

Only just pass, but I was very interested in since the first week! Fun and cute teacher and his puppet assistant! Everything taught is easy, with the mind and can quite understand even to those who don't know English.

By Sofia A M

Nov 16, 2016

The course is incredibly well done, the video lessons are great, the teacher is very good and the students are participative. The only thing that got a bit behind was a deepening, although the tasks were laborious.

By Daniel J C

Dec 04, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. He made the class interesting. He introduced interesting concepts and made them enjoyable for the class. The class made me dabble in art which something I wish I could do more. Thank you!

By Thomas D

Oct 09, 2015

Good course, gets you thinking about the important things in Games - why we play them in the first place. Great teacher - mad as a hat! Kept things jovial and fun with good explanations in a professional course

By Xin P

Jan 04, 2016

Interesting course! Game design is a pretty important idea for my major and this course give me further insights into the topic and I get to know more about how to design a better game for my target audience!

By Herman B

Apr 25, 2020

This course allowed me to make the first step to doing the most important thing in being in the games industry; making games. Thanks to Prof Kruse and all the others for making the content engaging, and fun!

By Wallace N O

Jan 29, 2016

I was a big fan of the character design for video games course, and i thought i wouldn't like any other more than that... but i was wrong, i loved completing this course, and loved the result of my own game.

By Jahleel K B

Apr 13, 2017

I have learned a lot. Very simple and direct to the point lessons and assignments were very helpful to deeply understand each week's lesson. All the peers are very open and helpful as well. A+ community!

By Tahseen M N

Apr 13, 2020

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Pedro A

Aug 07, 2016

This was a very enlightening course! I have played some games through my life, but now I have the knowledge of a person who studies to the develop my own game. I'll recommend it to all my friends.

By Mikael L G

Jul 02, 2016

Probably the best course I've studied at Coursera. Fran Krause makes this little trip incredibly enjoyable and fun yet still keeping it very educative and challenging.

Really loved this course!

By Victor A O S

Mar 10, 2017

this course is amazing the teacher is cool , funny and he explains the class in a really cool way with puppets and stuff and i learnd a lot and the best part of all is that it was fun

By Dolapo A

Oct 09, 2017

Excellent course.

Fran is such a good teacher. He addressed all my previous concerns regarding game design and explained the fundamental features in easy to approach and direct ways.

By Dana C

Nov 02, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The assignments helped me think about games in new ways, and I developed several that I will be able to use with my high school language arts students.

By Aditya M B

Aug 04, 2019

It was a really informative course which helped me build up my fundamentals. The assignments were fun and interesting as well and the feedback received for them was very useful.