Back to Welcome to Game Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Welcome to Game Theory by The University of Tokyo

This course provides a brief introduction to game theory. Our main goal is to understand the basic ideas behind the key concepts in game theory, such as equilibrium, rationality, and cooperation. The course uses very little mathematics, and it is ideal for those who are looking for a conceptual introduction to game theory. Business competition, political campaigns, the struggle for existence by animals and plants, and so on, can all be regarded as a kind of “game,” in which individuals try to do their best against others. Game theory provides a general framework to describe and analyze how individuals behave in such “strategic” situations. This course focuses on the key concepts in game theory, and attempts to outline the informal basic ideas that are often hidden behind mathematical definitions. Game theory has been applied to a number of disciplines, including economics, political science, psychology, sociology, biology, and computer science. Therefore, a warm welcome is extended to audiences from all fields who are interested in what game theory is all about....

RR

This course is amazing for beginners for no prior knowledge about game theory. I especially love the recommendations given at the end of the courses and the honour problems given in the course.

FR

Sep 16, 2020

I enjoyed this course a lot. It gives a very good theoretical background to the concepts of game theory as well as providing extra challenges for people with more of a maths background.

26 - 50 of 350 Reviews for Welcome to Game Theory

By Eshaan G

Aug 21, 2020

I can't express enough gratitude for Professor Michihiro for instructing this course. The course was well-paced and easy to understand. Looking forward to more coursera sessions with Professor if possible. I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in probability and decision making in the same light.

By Ben C

Jun 30, 2020

This course is very interesting and provides plenty of examples into how Mathematics is applied to many real life situations. The lecturer was very engaging and the practice quiz's helped me to stay focused for the end of weeks tests. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and would highly recommend it.

By Jeremy D

May 21, 2016

I looked into the course because I'm an Ecology and Evolutionary Biology student that got into Evolutionary Game Theory. I wanted a more basic and fundamental understanding of game theory. Really good lectures - I particularly think the examples/applications are interesting.

By Saharattaphom P

Apr 04, 2020

The instructor explained the content of the course clearly and in a simple yet profound manner. You may not find many technical terms or mathematical proofs here but will definitely grasp the concepts of game theory well in order to proceed to more advanced course later on.

By Axel E G M

May 02, 2017

I really liked this course. It is short, useful, fun and really objective. I started the course because it was an evidence from another course I am taking, but I ended completing it just for satisfaction. Great explanations, great teacher, great platform. Thank you!

By Arsenie M

Sep 02, 2016

In taking this course, I have been guided by a fully knowledgeable professor and straightforward explanations provided with the help of powerpoint presentations. The material is exciting, and the delivery is great. I will now dig deeper into this awesome subject!

By Juna H

May 02, 2020

Thank you for this amazing class! It was so easy to follow and the diagrams and examples were both amusing and easily understandable. This was my first online class and I am so happy to be able to gain insight of what I may be able to learn at college!

By Jorge R

Feb 10, 2020

El curso es genial. La forma que tiene el profesor para enseñar y la profundidad con la que se explica y razona cada detalle es notable. El profesor es un genio ya que proporciona el ejemplo idóneo para entender cada aspecto de la Teoría de Juegos.

By Vithal G

Oct 10, 2020

This is a great course to introduce anyone to game theory. Helped me a lot in understanding it but if you want to maybe do research, consider looking for more stuff as this is still just a beginners course and not a lot of math is covered here!

By Alireza Z

Sep 29, 2017

It is a great introductory course about game theory which helped me to understand the its variety of applications in different fields. My only concern about this course was that I wish there were more mathematics and calculation presented.

By Skanda D M

Jul 22, 2020

This course allowed me to open the pandora box about a theory that has fascinated me for a while and helped me begin my journey going forward.

I highly recommend this course to everyone who wishes to begin their journey in Game Theory

By EDUARDO T B

Jul 09, 2020

the different games are very usefull for different real problems, plus it shows the game theroy logic behind economic models compared to a traditional "rational" logic or explanation given in traditional university economic course

By JINTO T

It's the best course for those who love the game theory. I'm a economist student and i have only very few knowledge about game theory. But now after this course i understand more about the game theory thank you sir and coursera

By Cliff S

Sep 25, 2016

Excellent introduction to game theory, high on concepts and practical applications, low on math.

TA's are active in the forums.

Quizzes usually have 4-5 very easy questions from lectures, 2-3 which require a little thought.

By ADAMS A A

Aug 24, 2020

This course has been very great in giving a full overview of game theory and letting the student paddle forward if he wants to continue studying the subject at the advanced level. A great introduction to game theory.

By Rodrigo A M G L

Feb 06, 2017

Excellent introduction to game theory. I started from zero and I was looking for a general sense of how game theory was applied to modern situations. This course gives you just that, so you can continue your journey.

By Alexander D A B

Sep 25, 2020

Is a great course, spite that my english is not very well I understood every lesson perfectly and it's a great course for everyone that want introduce to theory game and know the concepts, Specially for economics.

By PRABHAV A

Sep 02, 2020

being from science background and taking this course was a good decision. Learnt a lot about Nash Equilibrium that plays important role in solving social issues all over the world by providing very simple methods.

By Sanjit C

Jun 26, 2020

The best brief intro on Game Theory out there. Simple Examples. Precise explanations and insight into how game theory could help whatever field you are specializing in. Thank you, Dr. Michihiro Kandori!

By Joaquim S

Oct 14, 2016

Nice introduction, light and easy to follow without being completely trivial. Questions are a bit too easy or too loosely asked in the quizz but for an introduction it's better to avoid disgust student.

By Jasper H

Nov 27, 2015

A very interesting introductory course to Game Theory, which is a very complex subject. Professor provides a easy-to-understand approach and daily examples, which can raise a big interest for students.

By Rodrigo A

Jul 22, 2017

Excelente curso introdutório para quem está começando a estudar teoria dos jogos e tem algum conhecimento de inglês, necessário pois apenas as duas primeiras aulas possuem legendas em português.

By Rainer R

By Gabriel S D d A

Jun 28, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. It has inspired me to continue to study game theory, especially in my area, economics. Big thanks to professor Michihiro Kandori for his teachings. Thank you.

By Frances v R