Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

FL
May 22, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

BM
Jun 16, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

576 - 600 of 688 Reviews for Gamification

By Mary B

Nov 5, 2020

Overall, I felt the course was really interesting. There were two things that bothered me though....

I felt that the course could be updated, a large number of the examples and resources mentioned were almost 10 years old. This course would be a lot more relevant if the info was updated.

2nd - I almost didn't finish the course, I took a long break to avoid one of the peer assessors. Even though I saved my writings as a PDF in case someone didn't have word - the same person gave me a zero for the first assignments because they couldn't open the file. No one else had a problem, but both times this one person did that. I felt penalized because they were incompetent.

By Reetika

Good course. The entire course structure is well designed. I really liked the level of assessment questions, subjective scenarios and peer-grading method. My only complaint is with the evaluation method of MCQ Quizzes. I felt the passing criteria for the Quizzes is way higher from an average limit (a 60% would have been a good choice). 80% passing criteria with NO scope of an error made the assessments difficult and sometimes frustrating to move ahead. It's not the questions which are difficult but the score counting method. So, my only suggestion is please work on the scoring method so that it doesn't spoil a learner's sense of achievement.

By Christi R

Feb 16, 2020

I found the course very engaging and thought provoking. I enjoyed the units and was highly motivated to complete the course, even though it is really on the peripheral of the kind of work that I do at the moment. The only reason I did not give the course 5 stars is because I feel it is a little out of date. Most everything is relevant, however the statistics in week 1 is out of date and could easily be updated. I also think some of the specific examples could be updated, and maybe something on social media as this has exploded since the course was created.

By Ximena M

Oct 22, 2017

This course is very well design. The professors seems to be talking to you directly which makes and emotional conexion. Then he structures the parts of the course telling you what is the hierarchy between them. He uses the methods he is explaining us with us: The scaffolding, the course starts fun and easy and becomes harder in the end. The assignments evolve by adding the information from the new classes with what we already mastered. The only reason why I don't put the 5 stars is because the videos and the presentations are not as well designed as the rest.

By Xavier C

Oct 5, 2020

It needs to be updated, only a single piece of date is from 2016, most of the content is pre-2012, it needs to fit everyone around the world, most students dont seem to be from the US, assignments need to be updated and focused on creating and less on sellingand business models. The exams are hard to understand, involve new examples that are not greatly explained, some answers are very subjective, either when i missed them and even when i got them right. Needs a bit more information on gamification in the classroom, is very focused on business.

By Andrea G

Oct 23, 2016

Very interesting course, the 5th and 6th week are a little less complelling than the others but overall it is very useful, well explained and easy to understand even for non-english mothertongue speakers such as myself.

I don't give five stars because the course is 4 years old now (it was made in 2012), and even though the general informations are still effective, I think that it should need an update for what concerns the examples and the new experiences gamification has gone through during these last years.

By Charlotte D

Feb 14, 2016

A fascinating insight into the concepts, theoretical contexts and frameworks of gamification; Kevin Werbach presented the lectures clearly and eruditely. I would have liked more in the way of 'handouts' to accompany the lectures, and perhaps some more links to background reading (for those of us with a more 'reflector' learning style). Also, as this is such a fast-moving field I think it would be helpful for the course to be updated periodically with new developments and emerging ideas and trends.

By ALESSANDRO S C

Nov 28, 2018

Good course, rich of contents and turning points to reflect and create new things after the course.

Good interviews with the special guests to enrich the entire course.

Some parts in the end (module 5-6) are explained too quickly and i think that there is material enough to do a larger course about that.

Thx for the opportunity of learning with the staff of a prestigious university in a funny and immersive way.

I will bring notions and knowledge in multiple ways to do my best with it. Thx again.

By Jason T

Dec 2, 2015

This is a great course that challenged my views on gamification and its application in the sphere of business. I enjoyed thinking through the theoretical principles taught in the lectures and then assessing the potential of gamification to solve for specific business goals. Engaging with classmates to hear different perspectives on the same presented material also added to the depth of insight I gained. I definitely feel my sense of the applicability of gamification has been sharpened.

By Kelly

Apr 1, 2016

The material in this course is great. The material is very thoughtfully structured and presented.

My one, huge comment to the professor is that all of the drawing on the slides is SUPER distracting and unnecessary. If you've got a slide with bullet points of topics you're going to talk about, you really don't need to underline or otherwise indicate them as we go along. Additionally, drawing (images) on the slides will never be better than having a slide with an image already on it.

By Erik H

Oct 12, 2017

Explains the concepts of gamification from different angles. To me it gave a lot to both discuss gamification from a psychological as well as a game design perspective. What motivation is there, what is intrinsic motivation and much more. I also like that the course had good exercises, which let you use what what you had learned in each chapter. What I didn't like was that it was sometimes hard to get meaningful criticism from the other peers on the written exams.

By Gary R B

May 13, 2020

This course was great. I loved all the lectures, how it was facilitated and the connections between each week were solid. I do think that doing this in 2020 is a bit dated now in many places. The psychology and behaviour stuff is always relevant but many of the examples are now old and in some cases newer models are out there. There are also huge jumps in gamification examples (think Pokémon GO, Ingress and more) that now exist that would be good to see explored.

By Manuel M

Jul 29, 2018

The course is really well done and gives an excellent overview over gamification.

If you are already familiar with Game Design, be aware that around 50% of the course talks about Game Design basics. (Which is fundamentally important to understand Gamification).

My only critique is, that sometimes the assignment-rating-cards did not leave much room to distinguish a really good submission from one that only "checked all boxes".

By Kenny S

Jan 13, 2016

I liked the content and the way is was presented with simple drawings. I like the real live examples. I think about the game of zombies and flowers to analyze onboarding.

I felt that behaviorism and dopamine was not put in context with the rest of psychology and neurotransmitters. It made me feel disappointed.

The interviews were great ! Love them, great question, great answers. BRAVO !

By Sonya B

Jan 19, 2016

Kevin's course delivery & explanation brings the kind of clarity in concepts & application, a learner truly desires. Very well explained. Thanks, Kevin.

I wish,

1. there was an advanced course to deep dive into areas of choice

2. there were ways to directly interact & work on a real life project with Kevin & other selected classmates/others learners/practitioners from offline world

By Ildiko W

Jul 27, 2019

I really liked the course, the professor, the book and the issues it's discussing. It's a super interesting topic!

The course itself could use some updating (it's already a couple of years old) and some of the links in the final exams don't seem to work anymore (they direct you to the same concepts, but the video's referred are not there anymore).

By Francis P

This course was helpful in introducing gamification to me in a manner beyond the surface level of it, and it provides a well-rounded view of it's potential short-comings. There is also a lot of useful extra resources mentioned in the lectures and other experts' work you can take a deeper dive in explore more gamification related concepts.

By emre s

Sep 24, 2017

Should be a 4-weeks course. Universities offer 4 weeks courses for teaching R Programming, a six 6 weeks course for gamification? The final exam should be easier and less time consuming. "Check all that apply" obsession unnecessarily makes passing harder. Time is scarce, we want to learn in little time breaks we create for yourself.

By Micael J

Dec 10, 2015

It is a good but also basic course. Well structured, good ideas, good exercises. But there is not much things to say about this subject in general. Unless you get specific on building gamification for sales force, or for students, etc... Conclusion: It's a great course, but could be more objective and maybe more focused on an area.

By Ana V

Nov 9, 2020

I would have preferred to apply in the last assignment (#3) the concepts on a personal project/experience I want to improve through gamification, not on a generic case study.

It would be useful to update some data to 2020. The course was developed in 2011 and since then gamification evolved, as well as the data presented.

By Liudmila N

Mar 8, 2017

Great course, but I didn't like assignments - what is the reason to make it over complicated - for instance, when you are given multiple choice questions with the only one correct answers. Almost all questions had long descriptions, which together with multiple unswers was a nightmare for not native English speaker.

By Nicholas S

May 5, 2016

This course is a fantastic introduction to gamification concepts and how they may apply to business or even learning. My only criticism is that the critiques of gamification came at the end of the course, which did not lend a nuanced view of gamification as you are learning about it. Otherwise, great course!

By Stephan C

Mar 14, 2017

Very interesting course. Very in depth teachings, like the behaviorism, psychology etc.

Didn't much like the peer reviews. Not everybody is giving the needed feedback and it was not easy to follow the schedule. If it's a course I do on the side, I find it more appealing if I can do it on my own tempo.

By Zoltán S

Mar 12, 2016

I really appreciated the assignment tasks and the interviews, the material itself was ok as well, although was not intensive enough for me. I really missed nice, structured and illustrated transcripts of lessons, such kind of written material could be useful for a reader-type learner as me.

By Naoise G

Mar 10, 2017

Thorough and well structured. It's a bit dated and could benefit by updating some of the examples, but it has many interesting examples from where to see practical applications of what is taught. The interviews are also valuable although they could be recommended as side material.