Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 235 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Kyle L

Aug 10, 2016

Really great and thorough content. A wonderful introduction to the dense and exciting history of design.

By Valentina C

Oct 06, 2016

Great course! Interesting & very well put together. Thank you!

By Zackary A K

Jul 06, 2017

Very interesting, introductory lectures on the history of design. It really helped my get my footing, so that reading further has been easy.

By Abhilash V

Dec 24, 2016

This course has a great overview of the history of graphics design.The assignments are really fun to do.You will think and research about ads that are reiterations of the 19th century ads.A great course for those interested in the field.

By Estefanía

Oct 15, 2017

Me sirvió mucho, gracias

By Sooyang K

Mar 13, 2018

This course helps to improve my basic knowledge of graphic design.

By Iole M

Feb 03, 2017

A concise course with very meaningful visual contents. English spoken in a very understandable way, even for a non-native speaker.

By Mariagabriella L

Jul 02, 2017

I learned a lot, especially how to research and understand other designers

By P Z C

Jun 03, 2017

I learned so miuch. Best course of all last 4 in the Graphic Design so far. Let me test the last one.

By Kristen F

Aug 20, 2017

This class was very interesting and it gives some background for a lot of the stuff that you learn in the other courses in the specialization. I liked that the assignments weren't difficult but were interesting and informative. We were able to learn from each other and learn in the process of researching topics.

By Kseniia T

Aug 22, 2016

The course is very well-structured, and makes it a pleasure both to learn and work on assignments. There are a lot of examples from the history of graphic design - a huge field of potential inspiration for the ones working in the graphic design field!

By Manash G

Jan 19, 2017

very informative

By Claveau

Jan 18, 2017

I learn a lot, thank you !

By Pavel S

Feb 23, 2017

Great course! Definitely a must-visit for anyone interested in graphic design. Even though I am myself a practising graphic designer for about five years now, I did learn quite a lot of interesting and, most important, useful information there. Highly recommend it.

By Martin S

Aug 23, 2017

This course gives us opportunity to explore within us that creating a project based task for a client or own startup. It can also be used as our portfolio. Opens up door for the career.

By Xinlin L

Sep 12, 2017

good course

By Balaji A

May 08, 2018

Wonderful course, helps a lot in understanding the historic perspective in design and helps reflect the same in our modern design

By Astrid S

Feb 14, 2017

Loved this course! Super interesting content and motivating lecturers! Awesome!

By ognjen r

May 07, 2017

nice

By Camila D

Nov 11, 2016

A really good course, it even help me with some classes in university!

By Polina

Nov 10, 2016

Super cours ! It is very interesting ! enjoy!

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Nadia A M