Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

176 - 200 of 235 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Vikram

Oct 01, 2019

REALLY HELPFUL AND ENLIGHTENING COURSE

By namrata

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By Egle H

Dec 03, 2019

Great course, learned a lot.

By Valentina S

Dec 05, 2019

That was very informative and inspiring. I wish all the courses could be like this one.

By Bamprasetio

Dec 04, 2019

this is really great, small bites at a time

By John M

Dec 06, 2019

This was a great foundation course to graphic design. I enjoyed it.

By Alexandra K M

Mar 06, 2019

I't was good

By Joly F Z

Aug 08, 2018

It gives a quick overview of key milestones in graphic design history through examples. It is very enjoyable and I have learnt to analyse the design thinking behind different work and appreciate design more.

By Tereza K

Aug 13, 2018

I've learned a lot thanks to this course. It is a great part of whole specialization because of the brief introduction to the history. It is very clearly described and inspiring. Actually I would appreciate to continue with my education about history :) So I can just recommend this course.

By Teri L

Jul 21, 2018

A really nice set of lessons to teach you about what brought about graphic design in the first place. Peer-reviewed assignments and quizzes make sure you're understanding every part (especially the most essential). Really enjoyed it!

By Joy S

Oct 01, 2018

I am not into art. Nevertheless, this class and the others in this specialty were surprisingly interesting.

By 当英直

Oct 24, 2016

Clear pattern of graphic design history!

By Olena

Jun 29, 2017

The course is informative and develops analysis skills.

By Clara

Jul 27, 2016

it gives a good understanding of graphic design evolution from post second WW to contemporary time. Very focused on American design.

By Lauren M

Jul 18, 2017

I didn't feel like I learned much from this course that I didn't learn in the intro course. I understand there are a lot of way to make and display images, but I didn't think the assignments were that helpful.

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Interesting and informative. More historic and research based than creating and doing. The professeur's lectures were bit fragmented and scattered at times which made it more difficult to follow, but great information overall.

By MARISOL P V

Oct 04, 2017

Great!

By E. C C

Apr 06, 2017

Solid, if minimal introduction to some points from the History of Graphic Design.

By Maria B

Sep 12, 2017

i would prefer more insight into the european design

By Egle

Sep 01, 2016

Really interesting and useful. Although some more information about the more post-modern approaches would be also great.

By Aishwarya V

Dec 08, 2016

Great content. There is a lot to learn from this course. Excellent lectures.

By Sushen W

Sep 05, 2017

It was great learning all about the foundation of Graphic Design,how it originated,where it started,about Bauhaus,about all the famous graphic designers of the 19th century,about the subcultures etc. It was a course that made me take a step back and learn about history.:)

By Maneesh P

Jun 04, 2017

It was interesting learning about the history of graphic design the only reason I didn't give the course 5 stars is the course didn't really have many opportunities for students to work on their own graphic design. Courses 1 through 3 were all about creation this felt more like a survey course studying the history of the field, while interesting I am more fascinated with the art of making.

By Karen

Sep 21, 2016

Good start for learning History of GD.

By Christine

Jun 22, 2016

Excellent presentation, engaging content, interesting and relevant assignments and quizes.