Back to Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities by Lund University

How can we shape urban development towards sustainable and prosperous futures? This course will explore sustainable cities as engines for greening the economy. We place cities in the context of sustainable urban transformation and climate change. Sustainable urban transformation refers to structural transformation processes – multi-dimensional and radical change – that can effectively direct urban development towards ambitious sustainability and climate goals. We will connect the key trends of urbanization, decarbonisation and sustainability. We will examine visions, experiments and innovations in urban areas. We will look at practices (what is happening in cities at present) and opportunities (what are the possibilities for cities going forwards into the future). We bring together a collection of diverse short films and key short readings on sustainable cities as well as interactive forums and a practical assignment to create an online learning community. This course provides key examples of activities to promote sustainable cities in Scandinavia, Europe and around the world. We utilize films and reports by WWF, the Economist Intelligence Unit, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, UN-Habitat, C40 Climate Leadership Group, Arup, Sustainia, the Rockefeller Foundation, and ongoing research projects. This course is produced by Lund University in cooperation with WWF and ICLEI. It is available for free to everyone, everywhere! The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE) at Lund University is an international centre of excellence on sustainable solutions. The IIIEE is ideally suited to understand and explain the interdisciplinary issues in sustainable cities and greening the economy utilising the diverse disciplinary backgrounds of its international staff. The IIIEE has been researching and teaching on sustainable solutions since the 1990s and it has extensive international networks connecting with a variety of organizations....

SV
Sep 28, 2019

This course has been approached not just for academic purpose but also it is a moral oligation to carry forward what has been taught. I thank the authorities and faculties who have made presentations.

MB
Mar 14, 2019

Really interesting course. I recommend it for all people who want to now how are cities need to act for sustainable development of our cities, how to prevent earth from fast increasing c02 footprint.

51 - 75 of 624 Reviews for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

By 杨天娇

Nov 7, 2016

I really enjoy this course. it presents us a lot of wonderful ideas and practices about the future. with some famous NGO participated in,like WWF,, the class content gets more colorful.the overall view of sustainable cities really impressed me...I would like to share the course to my friends

By michelle s

Apr 19, 2020

Excelente curso. Tiene información bastante actualizada y práctica. Si como alumno llegases a considerar que algun contenido es dejado por fuera o simplemente te gustaria profundizarlo, los profesores y tutores encargados te responden en seguida con muchisimo mas material sumamente util. Fue muy gratificante.

By Nora M

May 19, 2017

Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities has been truly an eye-opening educational experience for me as a graduate architect and citizen of Mother Earth. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about sustainability from concept stage to implementation stages and on the multitude of resources presented during the weeks.

By Ali A E B

Oct 19, 2018

This course is very useful and helpful, when you take this course you can understand what is sustainable development and how it is very important for us today to understand this meaning and how we can apply it to our cities to improve the standards of living and live in a clean and sustainable environment.

By José J M F

Feb 8, 2016

This course is very easy, but the content is excellent and engaging. The assignment really makes you reflect about what is your city making for sustainability and also is inspiring to know what other cities around the world are doing for it. It should be part of our continuous education in sustainability.

By Alex L

Mar 14, 2020

I think this course is very clear in its purpose, pedagogic and comprehensive of the topics treated. It helps you realize both the big efforts being made within cities around the world to tackle climate change, and the challenges ahead to successfully achieve the goals proposed by cities, agencies, etc.

By Stefanía T D

Oct 6, 2019

I got a much better understanding on how sustainability can be developed in cities and why it is actually essential to do so. This course offers a very complete outlook on all of the areas that encompass urban sustainability and how each of those can be approached, and for that I highly recommend it.

By YADAV N D

IT HAVE BEEN A PLEASURE TO LEARN HOW TO GREEN THE CITY AND WHY ARE THEY NEEDED. THE FOLLOWING TACTICS AS SHOWN IN THESE COURSE ARE MUCH APPRECIABLE AND HELPFUL FOR THE LIVING SO I MYSELF WILL HANG UP WITH THESE IDEAS AND TRY TO PROVIDE THE HELP NEEDED TO HE CITY TO THE WORLD FROM MY SIDE, THANK YOU

By Abril G S P

Jun 9, 2020

Its is very interesting all the concepts of sustainable cities that can be understood in this course, and how they defend the idea of colctivity in their documents, certainly innovative and considers real aspects of economic growth and citizens as part of the development of sustainable utopias

By Roes R L

Nov 24, 2020

It's a nice primer on the concepts of sustainable cities. While not really going into deep and technical aspects, it gives you some concepts that you can explore by yourself later on (ex. urban labs & sharing economy) and discusses a lot of case study which makes these concepts reliable.

By M H

Nov 11, 2020

I was able to broaden my perspectives on sustainability. This course is rich not only theory but shared experiences that solidifies the positive outcomes from a sustainable future. I was left feeling motivated and ready to live more sustainably and share my experience and new knowledge.

By Valeri Y

Feb 16, 2016

Motivating and inspirational. Now I also do have a dream! The week 5 movie: The Sustainability Challenge, especially the part with the Energy & Water Science Center and all the kids exploring sustainability through games - those 30 seconds really are a light in the tunnel! Thanks!

By Fatemeh B

Feb 8, 2020

With the help of the course I took, I got to know some good resources. It has helped me to get better and better visions of the subject. I got to know different points of view. In the research section it helped me get access to the topics I was looking for. Thank you COURSERA :)

By ANDREW S

May 4, 2020

The knowledge gained from this class only scratches the surface of what is out there to learn about creating sustainable cities. This type of class is vital to learning how to become more involved in local communities to input positive social, climate, and environmental change.

By NAGAMALLA . T

Apr 18, 2020

I'm so glad in completing this course, as it enlighten the knowledge on sustainability, urban infrastructure, energy conservation schemes and also ways to reduce carbon foot print. This course provides a pathway for the 'change' in the cities heading to sustainable development.

By Mohit J

Jun 5, 2020

This course explained sustainability and urban planning not just by theory but by using case studies and examples. This made it easier to understand and showed that these practices are already being followed in some cities so why can't they be done in the rest of the world.

By Onu

Jun 5, 2020

The course content were precise, very relatable and made me see how several cities around the world were developing towards green sustainability. furthermore, i learnt of urban living labs and how they can be useful models in deciding how we shape sustainable societies.

By Sebastian S

Mar 28, 2016

Great course, and great lectures! I would make the quizzes and coursework more rigorous for those who'd like to learn a bit more and be challenged. From this course, I'm interested in pursuing an online Master's degree sometime in the near future! Thank you. - Sebastian

By Michelogiannaki P

Mar 2, 2017

Ιt was a very interesting course.You will learn many things in an accesible way ,especially through videos.It is not necessary to have much knowledge on this subject ,to create a general point of view for sustainable cities and to become more sensitive on this matter.

By Pirovich N M

This was a great experience! I thank the whole team for their work that has been done well! In this course I've learnt what unfortunately I didn't get in my university but I strongly needed this knowledge to understand what the next step I need to do to reach my goal.

By Львова М Н

Oct 9, 2020

Great course in order to understand the key aspects of green economy and sustainable urban development. The course also includes the experience of cities around the world that makes it not theoretical but a practical one. Thanks the Lund university for this work!

By Christian G

May 30, 2017

Excellent course! I highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in a sustainable future. The transition from polluting to clean energy will be won or lost in the cities. Not in the mega cities but in the smaller ones. The course is very inspiring!

By Niyati C

Sep 9, 2016

Exceptionally good. For those who wish to know the base of sustainable cities and how to make them reality in the future, this is the best course to lookout for.

Good supplementary reading material and good presentations on on-going research in this field.

By Ulrike S

Sep 4, 2017

This was an interesting course with an excellent blend of videos, excersices and peer reviews. Not being in the energy sector, I learned a lot about greening the economy, and the course definitely raised my knowledge and the desire to learn more about

By Leiriane P R

Oct 22, 2017

Now, I can say that I can really think “out of the box”, as I have heard from many recognized and knowleadgeable professors and professionals from all over the world while attending to Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities. Thank you very much.