Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

SM
Sep 11, 2020

If you want to learn guitar no matter which guitar you want to learn acoustic or electric if you are a beginner then quickly join this course it will really help you to upgrade your skills in guitar.

MH
Apr 4, 2020

This course was a brilliant experience. My special thanks to Thadeus Hoggart for his patient and well organized course. Highly recommended for all those who are planning to start playing the Guitar.

126 - 150 of 592 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

By Maxim N

Aug 12, 2017

The course is great for all the beginners. Thaddeus Hogarth is super cool and I enjoyed his way of teaching very much. Thank you, Coursera and Berlkee!

By Chris G

Aug 30, 2015

Content was a good range of beginner to more advanced. As a guitarist of 7 years I have learned a lot more that will help me advance my guitar playing.

By Cristopher G

Oct 28, 2020

This is an awesome place to begin with despite you don't have any idea how to play acoustic or electric guitar. I'm very thankful to take this course

By john t

Jul 2, 2020

This is a very good course for beginners with absolutely no experience on playing guitar.

Thaddeus is brilliant at explaining everything from scratch.

By Luis F R

Jan 24, 2021

es un metodo excelente para aprender lo basico en guitarra acustica y electrica, muy satisfecho con el curso y lo que he aprendido 100% recomendable

By Samanta G P

Jan 12, 2016

Me gusto muchísimo! Voy por las primeras lecciones y creo es excelente! De cursarlo personalmente lo haría lastima no tengo los recursos económicos!

By Michael L

Nov 11, 2015

I was unable to complete the course, however, the sections that I did engage were very helpful and well designed for motivated beginning guitarists.

By David G

Sep 10, 2015

I'm new to learning guitar. This is a great mix of information and practicing. Love his method of teaching and what I've learned. Very well done.

By Amol D

Jun 24, 2020

Great Teacher and great teaching style!! Very happy!! Very professional approach!! A true teacher!! Love you Sir!! Want to learn more from you!!

By Yevgen G

Mar 21, 2017

That's a great course! I learned scales, pentatonics and how it is related to chords shapes. The assignments are very interesting and useful.

By Linda W

Aug 24, 2017

This was a fabulous class and I am really happy it was available. I hope to continue learning music theory and how it applied to the guitar.

By Sujay t

Nov 8, 2020

Learned a lot about guitar this is the most detailed and descriptive course on the whole internet. Got deep knowledge about guitar basics.

By Pedro F C d S

Oct 30, 2015

It's being great to follow this course. It's inspiring me to learn how to play and to learn a little more by myself. Very complete course.

By Artur H

Jun 7, 2020

Very well put together, professional, easily understandable course. Fun to play through and many useful and interesting things to learn!

By Eileen A

Jan 27, 2021

I loved the professor’s calm confident demeanor. He explained things clearly. I look forward to taking another guitar course with him.

By Setiamurti R

Jul 25, 2020

I like the pace of the course. The portion increases slowly, but the result is big depends on how you spend you time for practicing.

By Thomas B

Jun 17, 2020

A fine opportunity to slow down and pay attention to important details in guitar technique. Great material, excellently presented.

By Алексей Р

Nov 29, 2016

I really liked it! Teacher is great and material is pretty acheavable. I'm glad I made it through. Now I know more! Thanks Coursera!

By Trixia

Mar 15, 2016

Every week, it becomes harder and harder and I love it. I am also teaching this course to my brother so we can play guitar together.

By Priya T

Dec 29, 2015

Amazing :) Really beneficial and really great. Clears all the basic and makes me excited and inspired to learn how to play guitar :)

By Rahul R

Nov 22, 2015

Well structured, hope theres more guitar courses out there with more advanced topics, plz do consider making one, will be waiting :)

By Norberto V T

May 3, 2020

Excelente curso, grandes profesores que tienen claro como debemos empezar en el maravilloso mundo de la guitarra. Gracias por todo.

By Cory R

Sep 1, 2018

Great course for a quick start into Guitar. The music theory part of the course really helped understand rather than just memorize.

By Tim M

Dec 21, 2016

Excellent introduction to guitar. Well presented practical instruction with good advice regarding practice and further development.

By SANJAY G

Jul 1, 2020

Its a Excellent course for Basics of Guitar , in this i know the different types of sounds at different levels and the the rhythms