Back to Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Health Across the Gender Spectrum by Stanford University

This course offers an intimate, story-based introduction to the experiences of six transgender children and their families. Through illustrated stories and short teaching videos, learners will gain a better understanding of gender identity and the gender spectrum. Stanford physicians, K-12 educators, and transgender faculty members offer practical tips for parents, teachers, healthcare providers and anyone who wants to help create a more gender-expansive environment - one in which all people can live authentically. As a global community of unique individuals, we can begin to build a world that is ready to nurture and love each and every child. Due to the sensitive nature of the story-based course content, we have chosen not to offer course certificates for this course. Simply put, we feel that the thoughts, ideas and sentiments of these remarkable children and their families... are priceless. We are confident that, like us, you will end up learning more from them than you could ever imagine. Together, we can lay a stronger foundation for all children. Join us as we explore health, across the gender spectrum. Additional note: When submitting answers to quizzes, you may be asked to enter your "full legal name". This feature is primarily for verification purposes for courses that offer a certificate on Coursera, so it does not really apply to this course. We recognize that, for some individuals the name they use does not match the one on their legal documents. Please feel free to enter the name you normally use in these boxes....

PB
May 10, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. My stepson (born a female) is transgender. This course has helped me understand things more and gave me a lot of pointers on how to do things. Thank you so much!

CM

I love how concise and easy to understand the videos were. They all get straight to the point and it was really a mind-blowing experience to learn about the differences and what we can do to support.

451 - 475 of 506 Reviews for Health Across the Gender Spectrum

By Terezia B

Jun 11, 2017

This course was very interesting and it taught me a lot, but sometimes I felt that it is not always women-sensitive or I just simply wasn't assured that it is, for example in the "What is a girl?" video when the little girls tells that girls should clean while boys should eat and sleep. This scared me a little bit, because in that moment I wasn't totally sure how to understand this, is it literally meant like that or is it just making fun of the gender roles. I mean for me it pretty much reproduced those roles that deprive women from their freedoms (having to cook and clean after a sleeping and eating man).

By 刘俊

Jun 21, 2020

I really appreciate the efforts the whole course team put into this course to try to make a story-based case study. I think it can prepare and aid parents with new tools to nurture their children, also it educates general public about transgender and invites more empathy to people whose gender identity falls between two pole of a diverse and beautiful spectrum. However, I find the course content not so much enriching and deep, it does not cover the neurological function from which our self awareness and gender identity emerges, nevertheless the course is very practical.

By Julianna S

Jun 18, 2020

A very good course that clearly and concisely explains the foundational terms and topics related to gender and individuals who are transgender/non-binary. I already knew much of the information found in this course, but I still found it valuable. I would have preferred if the course went into more depth on some topics (e.g. more information about gender-inclusive health care, more statistics to explain the health disparities between cisgender and transgender people...).

By DORIS I A

This course is very good and important to me. I can explain what transgender is and how disastrous it could be for someone when people refuse to accept his or her desired identify.

I have also learned that aside the persons family, schools and hospitals also have important role to play in order to make the decision possible without having to go through so much pains and stigmatization

By Anna S

Aug 15, 2019

It turns out this course didn't really teach me anything I didn't already know, and I was hoping it would be more 'advanced'. However, I would still highly recommend it to anyone who is new to this world and wants to learn more about the technicality as well as hear people's touching stories. Listening to people's experiences is the best way forward :)

By Nelly S

Apr 15, 2017

To be honest I believed that this course would help me understand better transgender individuals, but it didn't. It feels like the instructors assumed I already accept this condition without question, the course is thought provoking of course, but not as informative as I thought it would be. I am more open to learn more about this topic though.

By Екатерина Ф

Jul 20, 2017

I do not feel like genderfluid (or transgender) people are making up problems just to annoy me. Not anymore.

Mercifully I have never met them in person before so I have not disgraced myself by making some rude comment or stupid remark. And now I am prepared! Thank you!

By Atakan S

Jun 1, 2017

It was helfull about what feelings transgender people during especcially childhood. Course was basic and I guess it can be more detailed. Good for person who need basic idea and wonder how to approach to their child.

By Deborah L W

May 15, 2017

Health Across the Gender Spectrum is a good introductory course for anyone who is interesting in learning more about transgender individuals and what challenges that they face growing up.

By Gabrielle G

Apr 20, 2020

This course covers only very basic information regarding the gender spectrum, but it is vital information for everyone to learn in order to create a more inclusive and supportive society.

By David S Y C

Oct 4, 2017

So good course for understand and know more about a specific type of ´´community´´who are the transgenders.

Thanks to the Stanford´s University for giving this new opportunity of knowledge

By Grace C

Jul 6, 2017

Great course for learning more about transgender issues and healthcare, but I was disappointed that intersex people were not mentioned considering the title of the course.

By Maria

Jun 7, 2020

There's a really paternalist view over the children and, as I don't have children, I can find some ideas too binary.

Anyway, it's a great course! I've enjoyed it a lot.

By Irema M J

May 6, 2020

I'm very satisfied with this course because I have learned a lot about the Gender Spectrum. I believe that all the teachers should take some course like this.

By Lisa P

Sep 12, 2017

I wish that this course had addressed the medical research findings related to transgender health and illness issues of hormone therapy in childhood.

By Ignacio J T M

Feb 5, 2018

Fácil comprensión, con una introducción básica a los conceptos y excelentes experiencias de personas. Falta la profundización de los temas.

By Jack E

Nov 25, 2019

Not very in depth. It's no complex sociology class, but all in all it's a thought provoking, sensitivity building course that I enjoyed.

By Sheila R

Nov 17, 2019

I felt I was able to learn more from this course since it offered first hand thoughts and feelings from transgender people.

By Denise I

Apr 29, 2017

Well presented and easy to understand. It would be good to see more information relevant to high school aged children.

By ALEXA F G

Apr 17, 2017

this course is very complete in the aspect to learn different things to orientation in our lifes

By Jasmine J

Mar 16, 2018

Really good course to take for individuals that work with youth. This course was very helpful!

By Sairah M S

Nov 11, 2020

would have been nice to get a certificate of completion after, other wise course was great.

By Emma K

Oct 29, 2020

A good introduction course into gender identification and how to create an inclusive space.

By Evelyn J

The content is great and very inspiring. However, it only covers very basic information.

By Prashanthi K

Jun 10, 2020

I enjoyed the course. Assignments helped to recollect and reflect on the learning.