Back to The Importance of Listening

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Importance of Listening by Northwestern University

In this second MOOC in the Social Marketing Specialization - "The Importance of Listening" - you will go deep into the Big Data of social and gain a more complete picture of what can be learned from interactions on social sites. You will be amazed at just how much information can be extracted from a single post, picture, or video. In this MOOC, guest speakers from Social Gist, BroadReader, Lexalytics, Semantria, Radian6, and IBM's Bluemix and Social Media Analytics Tools (SMA) will join Professor Hlavac to take you through the full range of analytics tools and options available to you and how to get the most from them. The best part, most of them will be available to you through the MOOC for free! Those purchasing the MOOC will receive special tools, templates, and videos to enhance your learning experience. In completing this course you will develop a fuller understanding of the data and will be able to increase the effectiveness of your content strategy by making better decisions and spotting crises before they happen! MOOC 2 bonus content in the paid toolkit includes access to Semantria's analytics engine to extract some data on the markets you are developing and have it analyzed. As a student in this course, you are being provided the opportunity to access IBM Bluemix® platform-as-a-service trial for up to six months at no-charge with no credit card (up to a $1500 value). NOTE: By enrolling in this course, given access to IBM's Bluemix technology for one month for free as well as Lexalytics' Semantria tool. For those earning a Course Certificate, you will be given an additional five months of Bluemix and three months of Semantria at no cost with a special key code. By enrolling for a Course Certificate for this MOOC, you are acknowledging that your email will be shared with Lexalytics for the sole and express purpose of generating your individual key code. After the key code has been generated, Lexalytics will delete your email from its records. Additional MOOC 2 faculty include: * Steve Dodd (SVP Business Development, Effyis - dba BoardReader and Socialgist - Global Social Media Content Access) * Seth Redmore (CMO, Lexalytics, Inc.) * Chris Gruber (Social Media Analytics Solution Architect, IBM) * Russell Beardall (Cloud Architect, IBM) * Tom Collinger (Executive Director Spiegel Research Center and Senior Director Distance Learning, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern) * Tressie Lieberman (VP Digital Innovation, Taco Bell)...

WL

May 26, 2018

I am enjoying the journey. I anticipate being a better digital marketer than ever before. Thank you for helping me to be better all the way around: personally, academically, and professionally.

AF

Nov 05, 2017

This course is great because you get hands on experience with social listening tools. If you work in social media marketing and want to know more about listening, this class is worth the time.

226 - 233 of 233 Reviews for The Importance of Listening

By Kathryn B

Jan 08, 2017

I am a bit frustrated, as the course is built around this amazing tool: IBM Bluemix, that gave us high hopes of extracting super useful information, but it is impossible to use. The instructions seem outdated and not relevant to the actual tool, there are lots of different sets that make it even more confusing and even after getting round a lot of the technical difficulties, the tool doesn't seem to be very useful... :( I feel like I wasted a lot of time trying to get this to work, with no results so far.

By Myriam M

Oct 31, 2019

Está desactualizado por completo

By Jill M

Apr 30, 2019

This course provides out of date information, including on the peer-reviewed assignment. Google+ and Klout are gone--have to wonder what else is no longer up to date? Many of us found that SocialMention is all but useless--the keyword and hashtags are far too general, and/or irrelevant to the subject being searched. And the video seem endless! A list of the different free analytics tools for different media would be sufficient--we don't need 6-10 minute videos of them all. This class needs to be updated and streamlined. I would include a few quizzes that require brief hands-on exploration of some of the analytics tools for twitter, youtube, etc.

By Bilge C

Sep 10, 2018

An outdated course

By Sarah D

Jul 03, 2017

I quit doing this course half way through because of continued lack of support in accessing the tools that were necessary to do the course. I wrote multiple requests for help and when they were eventually answered, I was continually told to try things I had already tried and written detailed descriptions of the steps that had not worked. I tried every avenue and eventually gave up. Ironically, this course is called the Importance of Listening. I was extremely disappointed and frustrated.

By Bonnie W

Nov 07, 2015

Disorganized.

By Palle C

Mar 24, 2018

I regret to say that this course is not up to date any more. I sadens med to say so. The other courses I have take where superb. But this one is a dissapointment sadly to say.

I hope the can make a now version with up to date tools and interviews. You must remember this social media is moving very fast.

By Candace H

Oct 07, 2019

I felt that this course threw a lot of resources at us, but did a poor job of explaining the resources. For instance when using Keyword Finder, how do I determine which keywords would be better to focus on in trigger communities versus passion communities? What do the various abbreviations/acronyms mean? How do I understand the value?

This course seems like the instructor tried to make updates about 2 years ago, but it ends up leaving the whole thing feeling choppy and inconsistent.