Back to Introduction to Cyber Attacks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Cyber Attacks by New York University

This course provides learners with a baseline understanding of common cyber security threats, vulnerabilities, and risks. An overview of how basic cyber attacks are constructed and applied to real systems is also included. Examples include simple Unix kernel hacks, Internet worms, and Trojan horses in software utilities. Network attacks such as distributed denial of service (DDOS) and botnet- attacks are also described and illustrated using real examples from the past couple of decades. Familiar analytic models are outlined such as the confidentiality/integrity/availability (CIA) security threat framework, and examples are used to illustrate how these different types of threats can degrade real assets. The course also includes an introduction to basic cyber security risk analysis, with an overview of how threat-asset matrices can be used to prioritize risk decisions. Threats, vulnerabilities, and attacks are examined and mapped in the context of system security engineering methodologies....

HI
Mar 3, 2020

I'm so glad I could complete this course as I look forward to continuing other courses on Cyber attacks. Its been helpful as it gave me the background knowledge as to what is needed in Cyber Security.

PH
Jun 27, 2020

Ed is a very engaging instructor and tries to make the content applicable and understandable. I would recommend this course for anyone who is looking for an introduction to the world of cybersecurity!

51 - 75 of 488 Reviews for Introduction to Cyber Attacks

By Ross B

Oct 11, 2018

Great course. Nice overview of frameworks and models to view security with perspective and then develops further on risk models. I felt the final quiz was a little too subjective.

By Ján Š

Jan 19, 2020

Great lecturer and great content. Only thing I missed were presentation slides with structured content. Thank you for the course.

By ARUL G C S

Apr 5, 2020

It is very help full for me. I have learnt many new thing from this course. It helped me a lot to develop in my career.

By Mahdi b

Apr 6, 2020

As an introdution, its an optimal course.

By Enida C

May 3, 2019

Great course.

By Weston B

May 16, 2020

Overall, I give this course a 3 out of 5 stars (I would say really 2.5 but the system doesn't allow that so I rounded up). The content of the course is great. The presentations and most of the readings really mesh well together. For those looking for an introduction, this is a good start. I took this course to round out my own experience in Cyber Security and will continue the other courses. I removed one of the stars due to links to some of the readings no longer working and one of the optional readings being, in my opinion, misplaced for this course. To explain the latter, there is an optional reading with a time frame of 30min for two chapters. This is far from the correct time frame and the book is pretty dense. On top of this, it really isn't connected all to well with the course materials. It kinda felt like a waste of time. The other start removed is based on the quizzes themselves. In some cases questions had assumptions made or wasn't clear on the question itself. The ones with assumptions didn't have such info revealed to the student resulting in confusion in getting answers wrong. So, I believe that if the course is revisited to be cleaned up and the quizzes are void of questions with assumptions (unless they are defined) and to be less confusing in wording, this would get a 5 stars from me.

By C A

Sep 2, 2020

I enjoyed the beginning of this course. The material really set a foundation for the rest of the course. However, I do think that much of the required readings are not essential to the course as they are incredibly advanced (despite this being a beginner's course) or loosely related to quizzes and lectures. Also, the discussion forums are mini ghost towns. The moderators are not active and there is this feeling that you are the only one taking the course. I do think that I would have had the same satisfaction of completing this introductory course if I had just read the professor's book on cybersecurity, which I really enjoyed. Also, it is written that no prior programming experience is needed, but to understand some of the readings, you definitely need some knowledge of the C language.

By Anthony M

May 3, 2020

Overall I enjoyed the course content and learned a few new things. The weekly assessments and final project on the other hand need work. There were several questions in the weekly assessments that could not be answered correctly and the final project, even though it was emphasized that there are no right or wrong answers if justified correctly, was in fact graded on a right/wrong answer key.

By Leonard A

Mar 9, 2019

I understand that getting the big picture of threat/asset matrix is important, and yet I think it should be mixed in with some more interesting areas of cybersecurity. Maybe mixing the second course with the first would make it more interesting? Anyways, I thought it was tedious, and also boring and very subjective coming to the end of it.

By Andrea R

May 5, 2020

Some issues in the access to course documentation and no moderator presence in the Forum to support questions. Course is really an introduction useful to catch some basic concepts and glossary also if, in some part, is presenting quite deep arguments in programming not easy understandable to the full platea.

By Stan T

Mar 4, 2020

I was hoping for more "meat." Perhaps the other courses in the specialization will delve more deeply technically.

By Symeon M

Apr 3, 2021

Developing robust software applications in every industry sector, e.g. Finance, IoT, Insurance, cyber security best practices are a must. Excluding them give potential access to unauthorized users access to sensitive data, jeopardizing the integrity of any information you might provide. Nevertheless, cyber security is a very vague area, as trying to fix any possible attack could be proven very costly. The course gives a very good theoretical understanding of when and what actions should a company do in order to protect their system and give priorities to any potential threat.

By Shawon P

Apr 2, 2021

Trust me! At the beginning, I thought it was just a common cybersecurity course that we find online now-a-days. But as the time progresses, I found the concepts and information provided in the course very interesting and at some point changed my entire view of the security management ideas. I am so driven that I decided to take the other courses of the same teacher because I believe I would find some hidden treasure there which can help me redesign my academic knowledge and career development.

Thanks a lot for this incredible knowledge sharing.

By ADEBAYO A

Aug 30, 2020

The world of Cyber security is that of a cat and mouse. Anything is actually possible and a lot is happening in this budding world. Watching some of the recommended TED talk videos left my mouth ajar as they depict the sheer power of curiosity, patience and technology combined. The course helped in bringing to unison the garble of a thought I have of cyber attacks and security. It's everyone's duty to be information security conscious. With IoT, your blender might just be the asset that gives of your credit card details. Fascinating right !

By JAMPANI R

Apr 18, 2020

This course is student friendly and it is not required for you to have any background in the subject. But you do need passion towards the subject and interest in the field. The instructor Sir Edward Emoroso is so cool and has such a good grip on the subject. His teachings are straight and simple and he made it easy to have fun learning the subject. I am looking forward to pursue my career in this field and I would be grateful for any further guidance by the instructor or anyone in my field.

By Andrew Z

Nov 26, 2017

I'm happy with the overview this course has provided me as I begin to study more about cybersecurity. Prof. Amoroso is fun to listen to and has a sensible seeming approach to breaking into the material. This course is broad strokes and I think applies to many areas of our lives, not only cybersecurity. Each module took me about three to four hours. I completed this course in about two weekends in my spare time. I am a software engineer and have a background in computer science.

By Mujeeb u R L

Jun 28, 2018

Loved it !!! Such a great course with concise and best approach to security-cybersecurity specifically.I was absolutely new to getting into a course on cyber security. Before this I had the same idea which everyone, student individual person, has in his mind that security course means go and learn hacking and attacks and all that. But this course gave extremely amazing look and image of what actually cyber security and Risk management in terms of security actually is.

By Debayan D

Sep 22, 2018

This is amazing course. Instructor and the course content is just perfect.

A student will learn many new technologies like Man in the Middle attack , RISKS and THREATS , CIA i.e. pillars of security , Password protection and much more.

Thank you instructor for helping us to know so many things . I am surely gonna go through all the courses .

I also wish to be the course Mentor. As an individual i have learned how to manage presentation and also how to teach others.

By Nguyen T

Jun 19, 2020

Dr. Amoroso is amazing! This guy has so much passion for Cyber Security, you can see and feel it in his presentation style. Dr. Amoroso is like that really cool uncle who wants to break down Cyber Security in an easily digestible way so that you don't embarrass him if you meet some Cyber Security professionals at conventions. I have learnt a lot from this course. Oh, and have you bought his book yet?

By Ian B

Aug 21, 2020

This course was highly informative and also very well designed and organized. Dr. E. Amoroso did an exceptional job in presenting the somewhat technically complex content in a really enriching and engaging way. All of these aspects positively contributed to my deeper comprehension of the content and otherwise, facilitated my successful course completion. Thank you to all who made it possible!

By Gustavo L D

Jan 17, 2021

Very interesting MOOC with an excellent instructor who is passionate about cyber security. Some of the readings did require further CS knowledge (e.g. the buffer overflow one) and some of the quiz questions seemed to go beyond a week's content. Otherwise, this course helped me to gain a better basic understanding of cyber attacks and risk assessment.

By Youssef J

Feb 12, 2019

Great course for beginners who want to learn concepts regarding cyber attacks. The professor Edward is great at simplifying the terminology by using day to day examples or analogies.

I really enjoyed this course as I learnt a lot and already signed up for another course called ''real cyber threat detection and mitigation''

Thanks!

By Odival I Y

Aug 18, 2020

I think as an introduction it was pretty good. I could learn the basic in cyber security, but I still need deeper understanding how to analyze different types of risk in the threat-asset matrix.

For the reading sessions, I don't think the established time to finish them is right, especially for the TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I

By Claes S

Mar 12, 2021

Very good introduction to the world of cyber security with interesting examples of current and yesterday's threats. The course also gives a good overview of the tools and concepts suitable to do security analysis for a business or organization. Well produced videos with an inspiring and enthusiastic teacher.

By Michael B

Aug 4, 2018

Excellent introduction to the concept of cybersecurity. The lecturer explains key concepts clearly and, sometimes, with a sense of humor which makes it easy to follow along. Along the way, one learns about some actual data breaches that occurred recently and how these were made possible. Highly recommended.