Back to Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems by University of California, Irvine

The explosive growth of the “Internet of Things” is changing our world and the rapid drop in price for typical IoT components is allowing people to innovate new designs and products at home. In this first class in the specialization you will learn the importance of IoT in society, the current components of typical IoT devices and trends for the future. IoT design considerations, constraints and interfacing between the physical world and your device will also be covered. You will also learn how to make design trade-offs between hardware and software. We'll also cover key components of networking to ensure that students understand how to connect their device to the Internet. Please note that this course does not include discussion forums. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Define the term “Internet of Things” 2. State the technological trends which have led to IoT 3. Describe the impact of IoT on society 4. Define what an embedded system is in terms of its interface 5. Enumerate and describe the components of an embedded system 6. Describe the interactions of embedded systems with the physical world 7. Name the core hardware components most commonly used in IoT devices 8. Describe the interaction between software and hardware in an IoT device 9. Describe the role of an operating system to support software in an IoT device 10. Explain the use of networking and basic networking hardware 11. Describe the structure of the Internet 12. Describe the meaning of a “network protocol” 13. Explain MANETs and their relation to IoT...

ME
Sep 17, 2017

good course :)\n\nplease review my assignment to complete my course :(\n\nhttps://www.coursera.org/learn/iot/peer/qYW91/module-1-peer-review-identify-and-analyze-a-device/review/VBUuMpl_EeeuPhL2ByDlUA

PK
Oct 26, 2020

This course is full of benefit. Content of the course is very accurate. Teacher who was teaching was also good. I would suggest to all the beginner to learn this topic who are interested in IoT field.

2701 - 2725 of 2,847 Reviews for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

By PASUPULETI S B P

Aug 2, 2018

good

By Murali C

Jul 19, 2018

good

By SAMALA N K R

Jul 10, 2018

good

By kathimamatha

Jun 30, 2018

nice

By Hemanth_Nair

Jun 22, 2018

good

By MORLA K

May 12, 2018

Good

By Makireddi D K

May 2, 2018

Good

By Srujan R

Sep 16, 2016

good

By anuranjan k

Jun 28, 2016

Mar 10, 2018

A

By Sam B

Oct 22, 2015

I thought the content was great, but I thought the assignments were too onerous. I did the first one, but I didn't feel like I learned from it and peer feedback was very slow. I looked at the other assignments, but I thought they only asked me to put to paper things I was already thinking about anyway. Given the untimely and low quality of peer feedback on the first assignment, I didn't feel like I'd learn anything from completing and submitting any assignments. I refuse to buy a webcam for Coursera (I have a phone with that capability but the Coursera app doesn't support it for identity verification), so I can't get a certification anyway. I thought the content was interesting, but too basic to pay for. The major value I see in the certification path is extensive feedback on the capstone project, as I thought peer feedback came too late and wasn't extensive enough to be valuable. I do think the instructor does a good job of presenting the content

By Soo X W

Aug 14, 2020

The course introduces the basics of Internet connections, communication protocols and IoT boards. Quite comprehensive. Felt a little boring with all the technical stuff. Some videos are outdated.

I learned some things but the peer assessment aspect of this course is trash, I see so many plagiarised answers, incomplete answers, many of the answers have little to no effort put into it. I gave some people low marks and I received extremely unfair grading, I got 0 for a marking rubric like this "Did they provide a URL?" despite including URLs

The assessment questions should be overhauled. I did not learn much from the assignments and it was a chore to complete and pass them.

By Alok M

May 7, 2016

This course is OK for introduction if you're not already familiar with the IoT devices and embedded systems. But if you already have done some projects in IoT and Embedded systems and are familiar with what they are then you don't need this course. This course is designed for a complete beginner who doesn't have any idea what IoT and embedded systems are (and now that you're researching about a course on IoT you probably have an idea what they are) and as a guy who had already done some projects in this area in undergrad, I found the content to be very simple and lacking any new things to add to my knowledge. But if you are a complete beginner then go for it.

By Matthew S

Aug 16, 2016

The content of the course is reasonable and gives an introduction to the uninitiated. The peer review sysetm however relies on the experience and knowledge of others which is a flaw in how some of the coursera modules are evaluated.

If you are looking to expand your technical knowledge, opt for a course the has an automated test system (such as the courses on Data Structures and Algorithms).

If you are just considering studying engineering, this course and specialization will be a decent and simplistic introduction into the field.

By Sohran E

Feb 23, 2021

Overall to basic introduction, only few lectures had good content where you learned important topics. The instructor is good at explaining and clear, but the contents were mostly to easy. Assignments were not good at all, way to basic and simple. Unfortunately, I noticed many cheating on the assignments as well which made me think if Coursera is a serious learning platform??..

By Pratik P

Jun 12, 2016

Reviewing process is quite slow, thus you have to wait until someone review your assignment and grade it, even if you complete this course in just 1 week but you can't pursue certificate in just 1 week because review of assignment 3-4 days minimum for each one.

Coursera should improve that problem, but overall teaching quality was great.