Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

CS
May 14, 2017

All the theories are presented in an extremely organized way.\n\nThe dramatic representation has been rather memorable.\n\nSeeing myriad theories from the lens of time has helped my knowledge stick.

1351 - 1375 of 1,443 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Erick L

Sep 28, 2016

The course is well done and will definitely serve many teachers who would want to draw from history and gain some tested approaches to teaching English. The teaching method can be not so academic but for many people, this perhaps serves best.

By Nelson A R A

Sep 14, 2016

Great for new teachers as it gives them the fundamentals of langauge learning theory. Also very good memory refresher and knowledge connector for experience teachers as it is well summarized and integrated presentation of such theories .

By Susan D

Jun 7, 2017

Loved it!

Although the characterizations really helped me to retain a lot of the information easily, I personally found that they went on for a bit too long sometimes. However, great course and method of teaching all around.

By Eugenia V

Feb 10, 2016

Very informative course. It helped me to get a systematic view on SLE theories. Yet I wish the course was a bit longer and less dense, for the lack of a better word. Too much information was squeezed into very short modules.

By Paul J M

Jun 12, 2016

Lot's of interesting background to language teaching and learning. The material is presented clearly although the instructor may not be to all students' taste. Keep going, however, as the later courses are even better!

By Sigfried T

Jun 8, 2018

While there was a lot of good content, sometimes the dramatizations were long on performance and short on good information. As an avid debater the Devil and Angel "arguments" were cringe worthy most of the time.

By Robby

Aug 27, 2019

Great content, reviews, and quizes. Dr. Dixon was ridiculous in the videos, which helped me retain the information, for which I'm not angry, but it made me cringe! Ha! I need to meet him in real life.

By Sarah u s c

May 20, 2019

There's some unconfortable sexism in some of the lessons. They are dramatizations but still it's not welcoming or funny for female students and would not be considered ok if it was "jokes" about race.

By Ana M C

Nov 4, 2019

The course is well prepared, however, you could include more material to read and more examples about the activities some teachers have already done applying the techniques learned.

By Michelle M M

Jul 18, 2020

I enjoyed all parts of this course except the angel/devil video clips. I did not find them helpful and at times felt they actually were a distraction to mastering the material.

By Victor H

Mar 18, 2017

I was never a good learner of theories...they presented these lessons well. They use many American idioms. If you can get past that, the course is a good learning experience.

By Daniela W

Aug 24, 2017

I liked this course and learning about the history of all the different approaches. On a side-note, there are some typos in the quizzes as well as in the English subtitles.

By isariya s

Jun 5, 2017

I appreciated the animated approach to lecturing (theory sounds boring... I know), but it could be presented in a slightly different way; interview, panel discussion etc.

By Kevin M

Feb 1, 2016

Not happy...the peer review assignments people choose to comment but not grade, honestly I think the tests are enough to show understanding of concepts and approaches.

By Andrea H G

Mar 8, 2016

I really enjoyed the creative way the theories were presented. Some of the presentations seemed a bit repetitive unnecessarily, like in the Angel and Devil debates.

By John P

Apr 23, 2017

Good stuff so far: hoping to get more in-depth about specific types of classroom situations (all that pesky cognitive stuff) beyond just the history of approaches

By LC

Sep 24, 2020

It was well put together and enjoyable to take. The 8 theories covered are thoroughly explained. The chart infidelity helped for the 25 question exam.

By David L A

Apr 7, 2016

I appreciate the video vignettes and e-enactments as part of the instruction. Many are tongue-in-cheek (on purpose) and enliven the learning process.

By Sophia V

Mar 27, 2017

Nice course. I only wish you focused on the target audience a bit more, and did not asume we all need to be "amused" with weird antics.

Thanks.

By JENNIFER O

Jun 1, 2017

Like the first course in this series, this is very easy to understand and the instructor delivers the lesson as if he is in a classroom.

By Diana A

Mar 27, 2016

Some of test questions are vague and create a kind of misunderstanding. I hope this will be considered as a frienly advice, not a claim.

By Obinna A

Jul 23, 2018

It was quite refreshing to have an insight about the history of language learning and the different approaches employed. Good course!

By Dan B

Jul 19, 2020

The course was well done overall, but I was surprised by the number of English grammatical errors in a class about teaching English.

By Eric B

Dec 24, 2016

The course was well presented and used great instructional design. It provided a good overview of various teaching approaches.

By Martha L R A

Oct 1, 2016

Very well presented. Helped me remember a lot from what I studied in my university and gave me a clearer and new perspective.