Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

126 - 150 of 230 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Oscar F M

Feb 20, 2017

Dr. Kathryn Wingate provides a thorough explanation. The course is very interesting! The practice of making entire video in form of notes is very efficient for a student to grasp everything the teacher wants to convey.

By rahmi

Feb 09, 2018

The Machine Design Part I covers a huge amount of basic concepts/theories in a short time.It was very useful to get a clear understanding of engineering design. Dr. Kathryn Wingate used a clear language and I appreciate her. I am looking forward to MD Part II. :)

By venkateshwaran

Aug 28, 2017

thanks for the lecture. awesome

By sumit s

Nov 28, 2017

one time study video's

not only knowledge about the subject but also provide learning towards the deep knowledge about subject environment's

By Ahmed E S

Feb 09, 2018

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By PRABHAT K

Feb 01, 2017

Dear teacher… you are the best because you brought out the best in us.

By José M M G

May 28, 2017

This is a very dynamic and easily followable curse that allows you to review quickly the basis of the machine design. I´m really satisfied with it

By sherif e

Jul 12, 2017

excellent course content

By Xin S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course! I learned a lot of examples, and this course help me to make some concepts clear. It's very useful. It will help me to calculate when I am working.

By kevin s

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent course for recap all the considerations about failures types, given to you real world examples. Higly recommended, very thankful.

By Dhruvil P

Jul 31, 2017

This course really help me to enhance my knowledge about machine design and material selection. I hope this course is beneficially to all those who are pursuing their graduation in technical field especially for mechanical engineers.

By Swagath

Feb 12, 2017

Thanks

By Rohan S

May 06, 2017

This course was very fruitful for me. The teacher presented the study material in an exciting and orderly manner. I thank Georgia Tech, and Dr. Kathryn Wingate for this course.

By Vivek K

Jan 14, 2018

very nice and benifitng course

By Aditya S

May 17, 2018

Absolutely Loved the Course . Looking forward to Machine Design Part 2 and 3

By Janarrtanan J

Apr 19, 2018

Excellent teaching and use of examples and real-world problems/case studies.

Waiting for the other part 2 and 3

By Taninki v v k

Apr 15, 2017

These course gave me brief idea about the machine design.And the teaching is great.I hope these is best place for learning and gaining knowledge.

By David H B

Nov 16, 2017

Excelent course. Very useful to review the basics of fatigue.

Hopefully Part 2 & 3 will be published.

By Dnyandeep M

Aug 09, 2017

I am very grateful, that I got this chance of completing this course. Dr. Kathryn Wingate was very persuasive throughout the course and the way she taught is completely commendable. I got the complete knowledge about the machine design process with all minute detail.

By Gadhave R R

May 20, 2017

very nice course

all the concepts are explained very well.

example given are very instresting.

By Anuj N

Jul 16, 2017

Awesome course

By Norwin J G R

Jan 31, 2018

THIS IS AN AMAZING COURSE, THANKS FOR HELP US TO IMPROVE OUR KNOWLEDGE

By Niklas W

Jan 09, 2018

It's not a very "heavy" course (I completed it in 5 evenings, spent about 3-6 hrs per week, but I learned most of what's in the course several years ago - I took this mostly as a refresher - your time requirements may vary) but it is very good for what it is. If you have the basic knowledge needed prior to starting the course, e.g. a basic grasp of materials, strength/strain etc, it's a quick way to learn some methods and formulas that will be useful in real life design work. Dr. Wingate does a good job explaining it all.

By Vinay S

Jan 27, 2018

This is a very comprehensive course on machine design and the instructor is very good with explanation .

By Logan P T