Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

176 - 200 of 434 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Mauro C

Jan 16, 2017

Syllabus very well organized. Professor is completely aware of the subjected being taught.

By Balaji K

Nov 20, 2016

An excellent course. Excited to see the follow-up courses of Machine Design (Part-II, etc)

By Rasika A C

Apr 28, 2020

Great course! Really liked Dr. Wingate's teaching style. Looking forward to doing part 2!

By Jeong S H

Jul 4, 2018

Very good machine design course to summarize what we have learned in our undergraduate!

By Pedro G

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course. I would really recommend it for all engineers. I am already doing it.

By Antonio C

May 7, 2020

excellent course, a little hard on the tests but still a great choice. I learned a lot

By Diego L

Oct 7, 2018

Excellent course! It helps you to understand real problems and apply your knowledge.

By Tamas S

May 15, 2017

It was fantastic, easy to understand, I am waiting for Part II. Thank you very much!

By Cesar H G R

Sep 21, 2020

Great course, an overview of a lot of the principal knowledge in mechanical design

By (22) M O

May 1, 2020

This was a very efficient and practical course. I have learned so much. Thank You.

By SAYAN D B

Sep 1, 2020

Being an automotive engineering student it is a great learning experience for me.

By Dhanush S

Jun 1, 2020

It's completely useful and knowledgeable

I'm happy and satisfied with the learning

By Widmore Y

Aug 17, 2017

It is the first course.I think it is very good and easy to understand ,thanks.

By JAYESH K 1

Jun 3, 2020

Awesome course. Waiting for new machine design part course by same instructor.

By Prithvi P G

Apr 5, 2020

The course strengthens the core basics required for further designing process.

By Mario E T B

Sep 14, 2020

an excellent course, i reget some concepts that i had forgotten in my carrer.

By Syed K

Jul 14, 2020

Very Very good Course. Dr. Katherine Wintage explains every thing very well.

By Arhab H A

Oct 22, 2018

The course is very organized. I enjoyed the material as it was very helpful.

By Aditya S

May 17, 2018

Absolutely Loved the Course . Looking forward to Machine Design Part 2 and 3

By Vinoth J A

May 8, 2019

This Course is a great Learning Resource in the field of Mechanical Design.

By Sarvesh J

May 1, 2019

I learned a lot of new things which will definitely help in me in my future

By Renad N

The high-quality course that every aspect of machine design was explained.

By Gaurav P

Jul 27, 2020

Very well explaination for component design in fatigue and static loading

By Anchitkumar J K

Jul 20, 2020

good learning, very nice explanation about the course specially examples.

By harshit j