Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

201 - 225 of 230 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Venkata S G

Dec 18, 2018

Very good course to refresh the fundamentals of machine design. Course content is lucid and quiz's are also very impressive. I am looking forward to enroll the next course of the series.

By Priyanka F P

Feb 12, 2019

A good technical course!

By Juan P G

Feb 14, 2019

It has been very useful to recall this knowledge.

By Syed A A S

Mar 06, 2019

This course of machine design from Georgia Tech is a nice combination of revising the concepts of material properties, design and temperature considerations, design theories for static and dynamic loading situations for a safe design. The instructor knows her domain and my time went well. Thanks to Georgia Tech. and Coursera platform for the effort.

By Daniel L

Mar 13, 2019

I enjoyed the practical and summarized approach (both static and fatigue failure). I would have liked developing skills about the aluminum and composite parts, materials commonly used in aeronautics.

Thank you very much for your involvement in these e-learning courses

By Felipe W

Dec 22, 2016

Es un muy buen curso para comprender los conceptos generales en el diseño mecánico, me gustó el enfoque que se le dio a los módulos de fatiga.

Aunque en algunos momentos faltaba un poco más de detalle en la explicación de los módulos.

By Benjamin D

Jul 07, 2018

Very well explained and well paced. Sometimes instructor's answers are wildly different from your own because she uses exact numbers but only writes rounded numbers.

By Bharath

Jan 30, 2018

A full fledged view on machine design.

I being an average learner learnt a lot in Machine design through this course. The user interface and lectures are really great! I wanted to thank Dr. Katheryn for her support.

By Rajadurai N

Aug 06, 2017

Great! First time I hear about Ashby plots and love the case study method. Dr.Wingate was excellent in conveying the concept throughout the course!

By KHODABUCCUS M M

Nov 08, 2017

Overall course quality, approach and content were satisfying. i enjoyed doing this course. it helped me understand some critical factors i need to consider in the mechanical engineering field as far as design of a component is concern.

Looking forward to do more courses in Coursera to increase my knowledge.

By Joshua K

Dec 28, 2016

Great look at fatigue failure. Looking forward to Parts II, III, etc

By juan a c b

Aug 26, 2017

very important for mechanical engineering, for keep in mind all the topics of strength and stress.

By Simon L

Aug 22, 2017

Give it a 4 top notch, the examples where explicit quite challenging needed some nimble thinking and prompt responces. Just the Discussion forum was a bit biased and the questions where somehow not understood

By Syed T H A

Sep 08, 2017

Very helpful course with comprehensive overview of design and techniques in Engineering Design. Beautifully designed course.

By Jacob.shi

Apr 08, 2018

good class,beautiful teacher

By Nissan G

Dec 28, 2017

A great intro course to basic failure theories and more engineering analysis skills. There are lots of worksheets and if you do them all you'll gain from this course.

By Gary U

Dec 23, 2016

A good introductory course to gain an appreciation of some of the theory and techniques that goes into designing mechanical systems in our modern world. Real world cases are discussed, and I have become aware of some of the failure mechanisms in airplanes and in the body skeleton, so I am a bit more leary of taking airplane flights , and not jumping off high places while twirling. You need to be familiar with basic theory of stress and strain before taking this course, there is a series of courses available on Coursea as pre-requisite. The way the quizzes are scheduled makes it advantageous to watch the videos early in the week and take the quiz as soon as possible, since you get only one attempt every 24 hours. Enjoyed the course.

By Brian L

Jun 13, 2018

Very clear in objectives and to the point when discussing problems. Lectures are not spent deriving formulas but discussing meaningful and insightful problems for the practical engineer.

By TUSHAR C

May 11, 2018

Its a very good course , a lot of things to learn

By shyam m s

Oct 07, 2018

good explain skill

By MOHAMMAD A K

Jun 30, 2019

I enjoyed the course. It was an amazing experience to learn concepts one by one in small- small videos.

By Carlos A C C

Jun 06, 2019

El curso fue muy bueno para recordar y mejorar algunas de las habilidades en el ambito de la ingenieria estructural. A pesar de ser un curso introductorio fue muy bueno, puesto que lo aprendido es la base para continuar con conceptos mucho mas complejos. Me agrado mucho la metodologia, y la forma de ensenanza de parte de la profesora la cual intenta por todos los medios que se entienda la materia. Ahora estoy en espera de que en algun momento se abra un curso de Machine Design II.

By Isaac S

Aug 09, 2019

I enjoyed the course, it was good to recap on areas that I'd forgotten, and also learn some new skills. The lecture videos were very clear and concise and all the material was well explained.

Negatives - There did seem to be some errors (in my opinion) in some of the combined stress questions (or at the very least some bad explanation / errors in the solutions documents which seemed to be contrary to what was taught in Georgia Tech's Mechanics of Materials IV course on coursera). Also, the lecture slide pdfs were sometimes missing bits that were in the videos. There were also seperate pdfs for each short video, so there are around 40 pdfs that cover all the course material which was a bit of a pain, I think It would've been much easier to have a pdf of all the slides for each week.

By Rohith