Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 455 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2

By RAJAN K

Aug 15, 2020

This certification course is really best for mechanical engineering and it will going to help in my career thank you so much coursera for providing us such type of quality content i am very thankful to you.great experience.

By Oscar F M

Feb 20, 2017

Dr. Kathryn Wingate provides a thorough explanation. The course is very interesting! The practice of making entire video in form of notes is very efficient for a student to grasp everything the teacher wants to convey.

By Fernando L G

Feb 22, 2021

Worth the time, even if you are just an engineer that needs to refresh concepts (it was my case).

I enjoyed the course a lot, clear explanations, fair quizzes (but not just free passing grades).

Thank you Dr. Wingate.

By Redouane L

Jan 20, 2020

Thank you Dr Kathryn and Georgia institute for this amizing cours, i enjoyed the journey of learning with Dr Kathryn, i had many new informations and techniques about machine design, i'm waiting for the second part.

By Ekamjot S T

Mar 24, 2020

From material selection to variable stresses, it was step-to-step progress, which elevated my learning for the desired course easily. It was very good experience and I hope that you will be able to learn a lot too.

By Tran L H

Nov 23, 2019

An interesting and informative course, providing some fairly advanced skills based on basic knowledge and understanding of the Engineering courses. Highly recommend for people wanting to expand their skillset

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By Theófilo M d N d S

Feb 17, 2020

I'm really grateful for the opportunity of learning from a high quality intitution and it's professors, i really wish to participate in the next mechanical design course. Tanks alot and best regards.

By Javier G

Feb 13, 2017

The course present a good explanation of the fundamentals of design in static and fatigue failure. Also the course is well organized with an easy explanation.

Looking forward for parts 2 and 3.

By DR. V B

Course is designed very well. One can learn many important aspects of machine design in a short span of time. Case studies included in the course are very informative and interesting.

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By LUIS V

Apr 8, 2020

It is a great course, you really need to have a great knowledge about the mechanics of materials to better understand the concepts, but you can do it if you have the basic knowledge

By Tejas B

Feb 26, 2019

Loved this course. Very informative and challenging. This course taught me concepts that are usually avoided in my collegeand the ssignments enabled me to get my fundamentals clear.

By Ángel H G

Oct 16, 2018

It is easy to follow the lectures. The didactic content is well organized and the problems during the lectures help to understand and internalise the concepts previously explained.

By Connor M

Jan 8, 2021

A great class for reviewing the fundamentals of machine design. The instructor provides good examples, both real world and practice problems, that help with learning the material.

By Ayush N

Mar 16, 2020

This course was extremely good as my basics were weak and this course helped me to build it up from the foundation. I learned about a lot of new things and in a very calm manner.

By Satnam S

Apr 26, 2020

It is good course for under graduate students and explains the static and dynamic loading in an excellent way. I wish to thank the instructor Dr. Kathryn Wingate for her efforts.

By vinay s

Mar 19, 2017

This course is both intensive and challenging. Dr. Wingate does a fantastic job with real life examples and explaining subtle points that will help get ahead in the weekly quiz.

By Bryan J

Jul 28, 2017

Great review for degreed ME that has not worked in this particular field since college. I would like to see more courses from Dr. Wingate-both in other areas and more advanced.

By Rohan S

May 6, 2017

This course was very fruitful for me. The teacher presented the study material in an exciting and orderly manner. I thank Georgia Tech, and Dr. Kathryn Wingate for this course.

By Luis M M G

Apr 25, 2018

Wonderfull course! Very instructive and well paced knowledge that is shown in this course. For me this is the beginning of a long journey in mechanical design. Thanks a lot!

By Sumved R

Aug 17, 2020

It was an exceptional course. I was able to understand more about machine design and aspects or stages in analysis. The course touches almost all aspects of design analysis.

By Zelieus N

Jun 6, 2020

If you pay attention to all lectures and with all the notes and make your equation sheet, you will understand everything. The course is spread out with the right examples.

By Aditya K

Mar 22, 2019

Course material is well organized. Real case analysis is perfectly solved. A lot to learn. Overall very good course for Industry and Students both.

Thank you Prof. Kate W.