Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW
Mar 23, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM
Jul 14, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

301 - 325 of 442 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

Oct 24, 2016

Good !

By JEEVARATHINAM S

Aug 14, 2020

good

By Joseph V

Jan 10, 2017

Not being an historian on the Middle Ages, Magic in the Middle Ages seems like an accurate and well planned course. Week-4 and week-5 were the most interesting, with week-5 delving into the knitted relationship of magic in Islam, with roots and lineages directly connected to contemporary practices of "magic" (which is something I did not know and was very curious about regarding the context of political and religious tensions evolving throughout the middle east). I would have liked more activity-based and practical instructional units on how magic and rituals were conducted, especially information on healing, medicines, and alchemy. Geomancy was the only practical component with explicit details on how to cast figures, and it needed to incorporate how it was used with astrology in a practical way. A unit on Astrology and the Astrolabe was needed as well since the videos and literature often referred to astrology, and without a basic working and understanding of how an astrolabe was used to calculate a chart, the student is left hanging on having to figure way too much on their own (which becomes rife with problems and miscommunication). The quizzes and assignments are fun but often awkwardly worded which became confusing, and can easily be cheated on. Grading of assignments was a bit nebulous and put into question others abilities to accurately and fairly grade. People paying money for course content should be separated from students not paying because engaging, stimulating, and critical analysis as discourse cannot be maintained in fidelity. Of course, the credibility of ALL courses on Coursera are at stake because little to no universities and businesses accept the certificates as valid credentials for jobs or career ladder mobility. Ultimately, one is paying for a piece of paper that is not really valued or even usable at the very same institutes that put together the coursework; and that is a very lame proposition! The final kicker is that I needed to submit highly sensitive, personal identification just to get a PDF of the certificate--absolutely ridiculous, especially considering that the topic of interest for this course neither necessitates nor warrants such high-end secure methods.

By Janet T

Jun 18, 2019

I enjoyed this course greatly and significantly expanded my knowledge of medieval times and associated magic. I particularly liked that the course included the relationships of magic in Christian, Islamic and Jewish religions.

The lectures were clear and focused and always accompanied by appropriate literature ensuring that they were at the appropriate academic level.

To help with the continuous improvement of the course which you obviously undertake regularly I make the following comments.

It would be useful to include specific clarification of the relationships between

· Miracles and magic.

· The Science of Letters and magic

· Geomancy and magic

I always like to have a rubric presented before I attempt an assessment. This helps you to ensure that the assessment is on target.

I have certainly expanded my knowledge of this discipline and my experience with this course encourages my to do other courses on history.

By Harel R

Apr 7, 2020

Great course, very interesting information. A few problems I found though in the course:

1 Some of the lecturers spoke very fast. That's solvable with the 0.75 speed, but still.

2 The Islamic videos were hard to follow because it felt like information that should have been spread over 2-3 modules was crammed into one module - too much information all at once.

3 I found some of the info about Jews and magic/demons to be imprecise. It was unclear on which Judaic sources these certain claims were based on.

4 The final peer-reviewed assignment included taking notes on an image from a medieval blockbook. This particular image featured a naked figure representing the moon, which i sadly glanced at unknowingly. I think that to make the course more appropriate for all people, it would be good to choose a different blockbook image.

Other than all of these points, thank you very much for the fascinating course!

By Reina M

Feb 22, 2021

I did enjoy the course very much and learned a lot. There were some points that I think need to be improved:

- Instructions for the papers that need to be written for peer review are really not clear. For the second one, the links of the images that are supposed to be analyzed are not working.

-there is no feedback from any of the mentors to many questions. It is like everybody left the building.

If you are planning to take this course, my advice is that before you start a unit, you take a look at the questions in the forum and then go to revise the material. That will help you to understand it better. Specially on lesson 4, unless you are very known with Arab history, take a look first at the extra videos and then look at the lesson. In the extra videos you get the historical background that maybe you don't have (at least I did not) and make it much easier to understand.

By Belinda S

A very interesting quick dip into shifting perceptions of magic in Christian Europe and how other cultures such as Islam enriched the practices of divination, calculation and astrology. For me, the two most interesting aspects were how the authority of the church through the inquisitors worked to divorce earlier belief systems, such as the tradition of nocturnal beings familiar to the illiterate classes, from the practices and beliefs of the Christian Church. Thus, consolidating the purity and integrity of the Christian doctrine, as distinct from previous beliefs and practices and laying the foundations of Christian orthodoxy. A good overview of a number of different aspects of magic. Thank you to the University of Barcelona, the Magic in the Middle Ages team and Coursera

By Victoria B

Jan 24, 2021

I really enjoyed this course! I thought the lectures were really informative, and I feel like I definitely have a more rounded knowledge of Magic in the Middle Ages. Two criticisms that I have is that I think week 4 needs a bit of work in terms of emphasis and focus on overarching points. I also really hope that the instructors are able to fix the criteria on the first assignment (assignment instructions and rubric are different), and the links on the second assignment (two were broken links and didn't work, despite being essential to the completion of the assignment). I think these assignments definitely would discourage people from finishing the course. Beyond that, though, the course is great and I highly recommend it!

By Frans Z

Jun 19, 2020

When signing up for the course I didn't realize the course wasn't about magic, but about the history of magic in the Middle Ages. Once I had overcome my disappointment, I actually liked the course content quite a lot. My only quibble is that the videos contain very little visual material .I would recommend, for the next iteration of the course the embedding of illustrations in the videos, or making available supplementary illustrated material in pdf form and/or hyperlinks.

The part I liked most was the chapter on Magic and Islam, which was very well thought out and presented. The supplementary video with the cut-out figures of Arab scholars was (unintentionally?) quite funny.

By Manuel

Jan 28, 2018

Los profesores han demostrado una imparcialidad difícil de ver hoy en día en temas históricos y se han proporcionado muchas fuentes para ampliar información. La única crítica que hago es respecto de las tareas calificadas por compañeros. Las considero muy dirigidas en tanto que se espera una forma de responder muy concreta y, en mi opinión, va contra el sentido crítico independiente, además de que ser calificado por otras personas que son, al igual que uno mismo, alumnos, no me parece adecuado ("ciegos, guías de ciegos") incluso dirigiendo la respuesta por parte del profesorado hacia puntos clave. Salvo eso, el resto perfecto y en balance general, muy recomendable.

By Jemima B

Mar 10, 2020

This was a really enjoyable and interesting course on a subject I had not studied in much detail prior. It contained a lot of detail without being overwhelming, and the lecturers were personable and informative in their delivery. It was also a good length and workload to commit to. My only small criticism would be that I would perhaps have preferred more of the essay and analysis based assessments, as the quizzes only required reiteration of the videos and I think that it would be more helpful to future historians to practice forming opinions and arguments. Apart from that, I have thoroughly enjoyed this MOOC and would definitely recommend.

By Claudia I H

Apr 27, 2019

It has some very interesting lectures specialy those related to islam, astrology and astronomy.

I found language clear, even when they had a large number of foreign names and words and the idea of using maps and other materials to make easier to understand the concepts is a great idea.

I found too extremely and using fancy or stilted language, so I had to play several times some videos even when using the subtitlles to get a clear idea, bacause the questions are very specific.

I highly recommend to give audio in spanish or truly slow down the speed and kind of language used.

A bit less theorical would be great.

Thank you for sharing this course!

By Eva H

Oct 2, 2016

I really enjoyed learning about magic in the middle ages and am grateful for the opportunity offered by the University of Barcelona. The lectures were clearly spoken and the content was good.

However, I would have liked to go more into detail about the practices of magic, I missed that a little bit. For example, the specifics of several charms/ingredients/etc are only treated on a few occasions.

I have now also enrolled in different courses on Coursera and I can say that this course could have been organised better, with better assignments, quizzes, etc. So there is still room for improvement.

By Paraskevi G

Nov 12, 2017

This course is very interesting and provides objective information and "myth-busters" that prove the difference between what we think of Magic in the Middle Ages and what was most probably the reality. The lectors are all very enthusiastic and it is refreshing to have many different people with different specializations than just one lector. What I didn't enjoy about this course was having to peer review my classmate's assignments; as I often tend to complete a whole course in a short time , this process slowed down my progress and I wasn't enjoying the course as much as I wished to.

By Lisa D

Nov 7, 2020

The switch from witches, Christianity to magic in the middle east could have been better handled. Maybe in introduction of each instructor and their subject at the beginning would have helped. I also found the variety of accents a bit of a challenge. In other courses I have been able to downloads transcripts of each lesson. Having said that, I loved the course! Thank You. Very informative! I am a Canadian Indigenous women and I certainly would have been burned at the stake. You have given me such clarity on how Christianity has impacted my life.

By Angelica M A

Aug 14, 2020

It is an excellent course, I think it would be very good if they expanded a little more on Kabbalah. Check the link of the last work, it is actually http://www.billyandcharlie.com/planets/luna.html

Using graphic resources like the map in the section on magic in Islam was a great idea. Graphic resources help to better understand concepts and are great allies of memory.

I think it would be very good to add links to articles related to the subject and that the bibliography can be downloadable or written, rather than at the end of the video.

By E P

Jul 1, 2018

I really enjoyed the material of this course and the professors' careful attention to avoiding passing any judging past eras using today's standards. I was also glad that they did not only include European magic (Middle Eastern magic was also covered). The only issue I had with this course was that peer-reviewed assignments (i.e. the written ones) were difficult, in that it was not always clear what was expected of the answers (namely that fairly specific things were required of the answers, whereas the questions seemed more open-ended).