Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW

Mar 24, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM

Jul 15, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

151 - 175 of 397 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Masha

Nov 28, 2016

Just amazing ! Love it, will recommend it ti anyone interested by one of the topic of the course.

By Carlos S F

Sep 01, 2020

This course was very enriching, in addition to giving me a walk through magic in the Middle Ages

By Marta S B J S

Mar 06, 2020

Thank you very much! It was a very interesting course, that focused on various pertinent topics.

By francis f

Oct 19, 2020

Emocionante y exigente programa para aprender el pensamiento mágico religioso en la Edad Media

By David J M

Sep 30, 2020

i really like the topic very much and the information provided by the professor of university

By Peta A

Apr 07, 2019

Having issue with not being able to complete the assessment as it says I need to be enrolled.

By Breno O d S

Aug 12, 2016

Excellent course !!!

I want to keep learning

You are to be congratulated!!!

God bless you!!!!

By Julia S

I loved this course and am really glad I took it. There was a lot of cool information in it.

By Paola A M

Aug 06, 2018

This course is fantastic! I really enjoy it! thanks to the teacher, they did a very god job.

By Melanie d G

Mar 26, 2019

An incredible insight in the history of magic and the way people thought of such practices.

By manulukas

Aug 05, 2020

Francamente interesante. Muy sorprendente y asombroso. Más de lo que imagine al empezarlo.

By Lisa C

Feb 12, 2018

Very interesting look at the subject historically from multiple perspectives of the time!

By Carla L F V

May 09, 2018

this course exceeded my expectations in every way, I would take it a thousand times more

By Simone C D

Oct 13, 2017

I need another Magic in the middle ages course! this one was not enough. It was amazing.

By Nefeli

Oct 23, 2016

It was a great course with many details about a period in history we don't know so much!

By Walter J

Aug 17, 2017

Very informational - more about the threat paganism posed to Christianity. Fascinating!

By Yuliia H

Jun 26, 2020

Thank you so much for this wonderful course! Great teachers and interesting materials!

By Samuel d Z

Oct 22, 2017

Great, I really enjoy this and it is a good starter into the History of Magic. Thanks!

By Monia M

Mar 20, 2018

An interesting course, really concrete and a platform to share knowledge and skills.

By Eugenio D P

Sep 13, 2018

bien estructurado, muy ameno y agradable, bien documentado. Lo estoy disfrutando.

By Eleanor T M

Jun 11, 2018

Really interesting class, enjoyed all of the cool information I gained from this!

By Pedro L L

Sep 03, 2016

Just incredible. I am just learning a lot. 100% RECOMMENDED. Kisses from Spain!

By Katie S

Mar 19, 2018

I learned so many amazing and unusual things about beliefs in the middle ages!

By Prokofev A D

Aug 25, 2020

A really enthralling course with great lectures and fascinating assignments.

By Rahul M

Jul 19, 2020

A very nice learning experience. Thank you for all the teaching and support.