Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

SH
Aug 31, 2020

Coursera is an online learning platform with a focus on higher education. Much like its competitors Udemy, MasterClass, and Skillshare, Coursera is completely online and covers a wide range of topics.

MG
Mar 20, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

51 - 75 of 1,979 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Cynthia C Z

Nov 1, 2020

I really enjoyed this first. I didn't know that to be a good manager all of the mentioned in the course are required. Big thank you to Prof. John Budd for teaching us this course in an a fun but effective way.

By Dr. C

Dec 17, 2020

I thank Professor John W Budd, for his excellent insights in human resources subject and the way of teaching is excellent. the course was very informative and interesting.

By Pimchat P

Oct 28, 2020

This course is really useful for any managers who would like to know how to efficiently manage their teams or employees. It’s also useful for the one who would like to know the meaning of HR, how HR people work, the process behind the scene, and other things that one needs to know about HR.

After I finished this course, I realized that HR is a lot more than I thought and it’s really interesting. I can also extent my knowledge and continue searching for more resources and studying by myself easier since I’ve got all the basic knowledge from this course.

By Melissa P

Oct 28, 2020

This course was harder than I had anticipated. I learned a lot and definitely could have benefitted from a vocabulary outline/key.

By Sumaiya T

Jan 26, 2021

I'll be very honest and give my opinion. I gave 3 stars because this course overall gave me a lot of knowledge and taught me what exactly is the job of an HR. However, I didn't give 5 stars because of the lecture presentations. It was really annoying at first (when they showed trains running in the background and more) but after week 2, I got used to it and didn't have any trouble on focusing on the lectures.

By belgisu t

Jan 22, 2021

i think this course was very easy. instructor was not very engaging and dull and the assignment was not for everyone. Overall, thank you for this course i think I am gonna try to get in to HR.

By Valerie C

Sep 4, 2020

Did not expect it to be so economics-heavy. Would appreciate more practical tips and strategies with respect to interacting and managing employees. Thank you!

By Amy L B

Jul 5, 2020

Very difficult to follow the instructor.

By Niwech H

Dec 6, 2016

It is not what I was expecting to learn from this course. The course syllabus seems very good but the actual lectures are not good. I would not recommend this course to any one. I don't think we can call this as introduction of HRM because it doesn't give us any knowledge related with HRM. The only new term to me is the high-road vs. low-road, the rest is the common sense to me.

By Shaniqua P

Oct 20, 2020

There is no hands on activities with this course. It consist of watching videos and answering quizzes. I am more of a hands on learner so I got very bored with the course.

By Valerie V M

Jul 24, 2020

I am unable to rate this since I feel that this course if more theory and concept oriented and I was looking for actual guidelines on hiring and onboarding.

By Brenda E

May 5, 2021

This excellent course taught me how to be a managing leader, a strategic HR partner, and a human resource high-road taker. I would highly recommend this outstanding professor (John Budd) for his clear ways of explaining complex material. Professor Budd made it fun, interesting, and relevant. He connected his presentations with today's business cases and blog posts, and he also gave us relevant assignments to do that were thought-provoking and meaningful. The videos, blogs, and PowerPoint slides were all designed to help me learn the material as a career changer new to the HR field, and the practice quizzes, HR landscape assignment, and module quizzes provided good assessments. Thank you so much!

By Nisal L

Oct 31, 2020

It is a good learning ...what I did to have a beter comprehension I rewrite all the subject matter on papers sothat they may help me oneday to remind my lectures at works. I got to know about the people managing in addition, people are the most valuble thing on earth to deal with. All the things take place between humanbeings throughout this human living circle so therefore this coirse values not only for when we deal with workers in a organisation but in our lives also this can be applicable. At last I want to thank for your encoragous teaching and for the cultivation you as a teacher who plant a tree ( specific knowledge) in me. So now it is my turn to harvest it. Thank you very much.

By Mónica A S

Jan 28, 2021

Really great module, I learned a lot of new concepts, a lot of things that have an influence on HR, the different things that a manager should consider in order to be a great manager and so much more. I personally think that the interviews and "speed-dating with HR executives" were amazing and really helpful. As an undergraduate looking forward to specializing in HR, this introduction was amazing and I'm looking forward to complete the whole specialization course. AMAZING PROFESSOR and amazing explanations. Thank you very much.

By Sandra E

Aug 3, 2021

I previously submitted feedback. My name is Sandra Escalante, I am Human Resources Generalist at Lone Star Reel, Inc. in McKinney, TX. Our corp. office is Carris Reels, Inc. in Vermont. I am not a teacher, but I am working with our Production Manager to build training programs and standards for our current supervisors and shift leads. Most of them acquired their current roles through "battlefield promotions" Carris acquired the company and removed some people and others quit, but the ones that remained are not prepared.

By Apurva H N

Aug 24, 2020

This is a best course for someone who wants to learn what HR is about or explore the field. The course gives flavor of all the different areas in HR in a very easy to understand way. There are frequent quiz and assignments which actually helps to check our understanding a lot. The best part was indeed the peer graded assignments, which encourages to think creatively and helps to connect the theory into practical application. Plus, it allows to read responses by other students, which gives so many new perspectives.

By K V

Nov 23, 2020

Professor Budd is definitely a fun teacher. Everything is explained in detail without that much nonsense talk. Being someone who likes taking down notes, I actually filled up a whole notebook with all the awesome information he has taught. I definitely have a better understanding of what HR does now. I took his course so I can manage people better, and will definitely finish and do all the other courses under HR for People Managers Specialization, so I will be a better leader and manager.

By Douglas I

Feb 20, 2021

My review is based on what I have learned so far, bearing in mind that there could be a lot of details that I'm yet to know about, being new to the course. However, Professor Budd did a good job in the way the course was presented. He defined the subject, gave a good background of where economics, psychology and sociology come together in human resources management. He talked so much about strategy and how to be successful, and the pit-falls to avoid. Again, a very good start.

By Sucheta C

Aug 7, 2019

I feel that this course is an absolute commendable course as an basics to know what HR is all about. It can basically give an bird's eye view on how things work in an organization both from the worker's and the HR manager's side. By going through this course you'll realize how vast and dynamic this field is. I would definitely recommend this course to all the beginners like me who aspire to become HR as this would act as an introductory foundation class for your higher studies.

By ONI, T O

Sep 16, 2020

I am ONI, Thomas Olatunde a Nigerian and a Postgraduate Degree holder working in one Private University in Nigeria. The course Preparing to Manage Human Resources is a course that is loaded and contribute an educative impact to the live of learners. I really benefited from the course as it exposes me to many things which I dont know from onset. The facilitators of the course really did an impactful knowledge and I am grateful to them all.

Thank you.

By Shivam C

Oct 26, 2017

Dear Professor John Budd, thank you very much for this excellent course indeed! It is really interesting and very helpful. It helps me to improve my knowledge. Basically I am from mathematics background. This course contains all basics of HRM which is good for those students who are from different backgrounds This course provide interesting overview in very practical way . I would recommend this course to my colleagues who are interested in HRM.

By Diana N

Jan 25, 2021

Prior to pursuing this course,I had little knowledge and experience on the legal aspects of work and to understand that different approaches matters when it comes to managing people. I love the methods provided by Professor John Budd for his extensive teaching and materials provided,now I walk away with a vast amount of knowledge that can better assist me as a person and employee, thank you so much for this oppurtunity

By Ariane M

Dec 28, 2020

I am very happy you permitted me to learn this course. It was very beneficial to me. Now I have one of the element to look for a job. I found no difficulties with the course. What you people are doing to help people like, is very great. One thing I can say is , keep on and may the good Lord continue to bless you people for this.

Now I will like to continue and finish with the three remaining courses. What can I do?

By Win W S

Nov 9, 2020

I am not native speaker , so to learn with English I need more time. And would like to request to get the hand out and video what I have learnt because some lesson I forgot to download and I need to study again and read again. It will be great if I could get this. Thank you so much Coursera team for your course and teacher Mr.... . I really appreciate. Hope I could join next course with discount price.

By Sandra V P

Oct 30, 2019

Sandra Viviana Paiz Argentina

Es un curso de mucha importancia, que brinda una excelente preparación y despierta un gran interés para seguir incursionando en nuevas experiencias. Hubo mucho respeto entre compañeros, sus opiniones fueron muy valiosas, para poder llegar al final. Me siento muy feliz y agradecida a Coursera por haberme dado esta posibilidad.