Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

MG
Mar 20, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

SH
Aug 31, 2020

Coursera is an online learning platform with a focus on higher education. Much like its competitors Udemy, MasterClass, and Skillshare, Coursera is completely online and covers a wide range of topics.

76 - 100 of 1,985 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Shubham Y

Apr 30, 2021

Thank Dr. Budd for this course! It is really interesting and very helpful. It help me to improve my knowledge. I try to keep my HR knowledge up to date and that course is that I was liking for. It contain not only lecture, it have a task/homework. You can think about you, your job, work with people grime other countries. I recommend this course to anyone!

By Carlos A

Mar 26, 2021

Prof. Budd is amazing, clever, creative and nice. Very straight forward in each video but without making it boring. I genuinely enjoyed his classes and think is very important everything this main information on HR subject. I wasn¿t thinking on taking the other 2 courses but now for sure I will and hope his orher colleagues keep this level he established.

By Anton M

Nov 1, 2018

Great material. Detailed videos. The tests and reading really reflect on the materials given to us thru out the lessons. And the peer graded assignments felt great because there are actual others that are also interested in the same activities as this course and helped me understand more about their views as much as a more in dept understanding of mine.

By INDRANIL C

Feb 27, 2021

The course is really very helpful for front line managers . It helps to develop in depth knowledge on peoples, organizations , & legal framework which will help the manager to become good leaders.

Even if there is emphasis on HR strategies and practices but this is very helpful for any Manager in any field to accomplice hands on expertise.

By Daniel R

Jun 6, 2020

I thought this was a very informative, well-organized and useful course. I liked the way outside learning options were suggested as well. As a newbie to HR and Business in general, this was a perfect starting place for me. I was able to get the lay of the land and start to think about how my own experience could transfer into this realm.

By Praveena K

Jul 28, 2020

I've learnt many new skills from this course

1.Understanding alternative approaches to managing human resources and appreciating the diversity of factors that motivate workers.

2.Applying best practices for hiring and rewarding employees, and for managing employee performance

3. Avoiding key mistakes in (mis)managing human resources

By Donna M C

Sep 2, 2017

This course provide a comprehensive introductory overview on the basics of HRM. I very informative and started to apply the lessons learned right away. As a non-HR manager the course helped to be better understand the driving principals of HR and various theories upon which the discipline is built. I highly recommend this course.

By Suman B

Aug 2, 2017

Loved the course. It kept me engaged every week with so many things to take away. Highly informative and interactive. The practice quiz and the peer assignment was one of my favorite thing about this course. Helped to understand better. Thanks again sir. It was great. Looking forward to the other courses. cannot wait to enroll.

By Joyce C T

Jun 26, 2020

Me encanto el curso, muy detallada la información, muy buena la didáctica del profesor John Budd, excelente los consejos prácticos y los casos de testimonios de profesionales del área. Sus explicaciones te invitan a reflexionar y hacer lo correcto al gestionar los HR. Muchas gracias por sus enseñanzas profesor John! Un abrazo!

By Kelemedi K L

May 27, 2017

This is a course that will take you to the next level in the area of managing human resourse. You will be so glad to have done this course like me. It gave me a sence of complition understanding what MHR is all about. I can now boldly manage others well, undertanding worker's needs and how to help them work as great employees.

By Didimo E G T

Nov 30, 2020

Excellent course, one of the best I have had at COURSERA. I must also congratulate the professor for they entertaining manner in which the course is delivered. For years I had been curious about this field (I am an Electrical Engineer) and I am definitely interested, perhaps a career change! This course is highly recommended.

By Sowmya M

Jul 27, 2020

Excellent and very insightful course .Strtuctred very thoughtfully for freshers & experienced professional too. The university with Prof. John W.Budd has done a awesome team work !!!! Hats off for the indepth knowledge Professor and his love /affection towards the community of HR Professional is really admiring. Thank you ,

By Obi G J

Jul 1, 2020

The Professor in-charge of this course blended perfectly, in a summary pattern, all aspects of Human Resource Management. Basically, I learnt that a great business is nothing without highly managed humans and vis-versa. It was a revealing session, I must say, all throughout the course. I'm happy to be part of this journey.

By Jayasri S

Apr 27, 2021

Beginners best choice. If you are an HR aspirant looking for an opportunity to learn about people management, I suggest you this course right away. Prof. John W Budd, explained each and every concept with examples and we also have interactive exercises which helps us to enrich our understanding towards people management.

By KHAREN L V A

Mar 21, 2018

You won't regret investing your time in preparing to manage human resources (even if you are already in senior post in HR field). It is very helpful and informative. I really appreciate Mr. John Budd, it was a very good, interactive, reflective class. The assignments and projects are challenging and everyone can relate.

By Savannah D l

Feb 21, 2021

This was an effective course to understanding different types of leaderships and approaches to HR. It was also beneficial in understanding some basic dynamics of law in the workplace. Last, it was useful to learn about both internal and external impacts on HR decision-making through the use of a small assignment.

By Sourav G

Jun 24, 2020

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, Learnt a lot about HR strategies, all the modules are very helpful. John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos which makes the learning more interesting.

By Manuel O H L

Nov 20, 2020

This was a wonderful course, the knowledge imparted brought a broader view of the HR management that wasn´t taught in my career. The way John explained each topic was really clear and direct, and the information given by the managers who were interviewed, the recommendations and advises are really valuable.

By Hayley K

Jun 10, 2020

Top notch learning experience with super in-depth videos on HR management... really liked the professor and his easy to follow style. I learned so much and am grateful to start my HR journey here at Coursera with University of Minnesota! Can’t wait to get stuck into the next course in this specialization.

By Lynda E

Apr 29, 2021

I found this course to be a good foundation to start studying Human Resources. It covered a broad range of information and the instructor, John Budd, kept it interesting with current readings, interesting graphics, and relevant interviews. This is one of the better Coursera courses that I have taken.

By Felis H

Mar 9, 2020

This is absolutely a great and useful course,I learn so much from this course, and it did guide you the right way of thinking and managing situation and courses are so fun, it is not only about the academic lessons but also with experience sharing from the experts from HR filed.I would recommend it.

By Merapelo M

Nov 28, 2020

Well instructed, clear, FUN and presented course. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking into pursuing the HR or Management field. I am thankful to have learned a lot, which also helped me understand this field more especially that I am preparing to sit for a certification in HR.

By Abraham M R

Jul 27, 2020

I am really confident to offer a 5 star credit to the ongoing course - you know, I have always believed that the fame of any educational institution is prompted by her lecturers so to say. In other words I want to say that I am proud of my lecturer, he is actually proving professionally equipped.

By Esmeralda S

Oct 25, 2020

I have worked closely with HR managers in my field so I came into this course with a basic understanding of HR management and learned so much more from Professor Budd. I also enjoyed his style of animation and music and just a light hearted approach to some very important and heavy information.

By ADEWARA B O

Feb 8, 2018

Indeed, this is an interesting programme and I must confess that I really enjoy my time in studying these courses.

I want to thank you so much the Management of this Institution for this great opportunity to be part of this programme. Again, thank you and I want to say that Coursera is the best!