Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

LT
Apr 29, 2020

I enjoy studying this course , the material and video example are well made ,and easy to understand too . Overall this course is great and really helpful it also help me improve on my judgement skill.

76 - 100 of 502 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Tino

Jun 3, 2020

First of all I would like to thank Dr. Perry Wilson who has done an awesome job presenting that topic with such a great structure and passion. Secondly, I would like to thank Coursera for having free access to this module. Overall, I have learned quite a lot of things and gained a much better understanding in detail as well as in total of medical research. All the best!

By Seleem B

Oct 29, 2020

I loved this course! The professor was engaging and easy to follow, the graphics were entertaining and the overall structure strongly enhanced my learning experience. I especially liked the quiz-like questions throughout the lectures as well as the goals and take-home points, facilitating understanding and ensuring that I understood the lecture and main points.

By Elaine G

Apr 16, 2021

Professor Wilson was exceptional in describing and defining the vast amount of information in quite an entertaining and interesting way! This course has stimulated my curiosity about Medical Research. I will see things quite differently and more intelligently than before I took this wonderful course! I hope to take another course with Professor Wilson.

By Gerry B

Oct 21, 2020

This was an interesting and challenging course that provided a detailed way to evaluate a medical research paper and to intelligently critique a study, whether observational or experimental. I'm grateful for the instructor's expertise; I'll never be able to read a study I encounter in the same way again and I certainly won't take anything for granted.

By Luis C B L

Feb 28, 2021

An excellent course, in a very pleasant and professional way, it teaches that "not all that glitters is gold", you have to know how to read and interpret medical literature. It explains the whole process, from the question to the interpretation of the results, but especially what to look for in the studies for the results to be valid.Thanks a lot.

By Claudia

Oct 30, 2020

Fun way to highlight the important takeaways when reading preprints and peer reviewed studies. Makes statistics easy to digest. Reminds participants about conflicts of interest and retractions. Puts headlines in perspective. Wish this class had been available decades ago in nursing school. Statistics was required then but never put in context.

By Janna O

Oct 2, 2020

This was one of the best lectures I ever experienced during my whole life as a student in university. I've learned more about statistics and studies then I have learned in my entire time at my "normal" university. I also improved my English reading skills. Now I'm going to write my master thesis without any doubts about studies and research!

By Yuka K

Sep 9, 2020

The course is above my expectation and far different from the other statistics courses I have taken or books I have read. The lecturer taught me the importance of examining every research article critically, even published in renowned journals. There are lots of helpful contents, which I am going to review again for further understanding.

By Penelope L C

Sep 29, 2020

This is a long course, and it requires lots of attention but it is packed full of goodies. You do get another crack at the questions so that actually helps to cement the information in your head.

As people will sell you lots of things. make sure you do this course so you can understand what it is meant by "Backed by scientific studies."

By Yolany L B

Jun 8, 2020

This professor makes fun jokes that keeps me entertained, while providing valuable information in regards to research. This course is not only understanding medical research, but in other areas that I can incorporate what I learned in this class to other fields such as psychology and political science. Thanks for this course professor.

By Sabrina I

Aug 11, 2020

This course was wonderful; I feel more prepared to read medical manuscripts and research journals. I also brushed up on my statistical skills, which was a good review. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to expand their research knowledge while enjoying Dr. Perry's sense of humor. Thank you for the great course, Dr. Perry!

By DrMohamed M A

Sep 4, 2020

This was really a great course, I actually learned a lot about medical research. Now I can personally read and criticize published papers, I know where to read the peer reviewed articles and I can prove that my Facebook friend is wrong. And most importantly I can do my own studies. Many thanks to Dr F.Perry Wilson and the team.

By Maria T S

Dec 12, 2020

This professor is very engaging, his "data gathering" on the Yale campus was entertaining. His energy and examples made the course enjoyable and helped me to understand the concepts being taught. I'm still not a statistical expert but I now know that in some cases I may need to more closely review medical research results.

By Dr. A U

Oct 10, 2020

I’m writing just a quick note to say that I throughly enjoyed your class and it was never a chore to attend a class. I always learned something that challenged my perspectives and enjoyed doing so! Thank you, again, for such a wonderful learning experience, and I hope to learn from you again in the future semesters!”

Dr Anam

By Christine T

Apr 14, 2021

Not my favorite subject or class, I was not looking forward to the experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the engaging presentation of the course. It takes real skill to take a class about medical research and make it digestible. The instructor is quite engaging, stylish, part game show host and smart.

By Dewni A

Aug 21, 2021

Loved it! I learned a great damn deal. The only set back I saw was the title of the course as it could actually be one that captures your attention and one that makes sense at once by reading it. So thankful for this great opportunity to learn such interesting facts. The style of teaching is so great! Thank you!

By Marcin U

May 20, 2021

I found this course very interesting. I took up this course to refresh my research skills and knowledge and learn additional information about understanding scientific papers. I would definitely recommend it to other people, clinicians or health professionals to better understand how to read scientific papers.

By Maria E G S

Oct 11, 2020

Dr. Perry is very engaging as an instructor and he manages to simplify the concepts in such a way that it can be understood even by those who are not in the medical field. The examples for each video are also fun. The quizzes are very challenging so you have to listen very carefully as he explains each concept.

By Liliana B N

Feb 13, 2021

Este es un gran curso. Realmente lo recomiendo a todo aquello que desee saber cómo interpretar adecuadamente la literatura científica. El profesor siempre busca ejemplos que hacen fácil la compresión de los temas y es muy amable. Realmente se nota el trabajo y la dedicación en la preparación de este curso.

By Steve R

Nov 2, 2020

I just finished the course and it was one of the best I've taken on Coursera. Dr. Wilson was extremely knowledgeable, engaging and fun. The organization and presentation of the course was excellent...just the right degree of detail and complexity. Thanks so much to everyone that worked on this course.

By Eduardo R

Apr 9, 2021

It is the most interesting and fun research course I have ever attended. It provides information that is important with eye-catching details that are not always available in classes or books.

It is 100% worth the effort to take the course. The information provided changes the perception of research,

By Charles S G

Apr 21, 2021

Most of my previous knowledge in these matters was earned in the trenches through "on the job training." This course summarized the big picture and clarified/simplified for me the critical items necessary to judge the value and importance to give to a particular study. Thank you for the experience.

By Patricia P

Jul 19, 2020

Having had the chance to really get a glimpse of how Medical Research works, I believe that the knowledge you can acquire from this course is crucial not only for your future career, but also for your analytical approach. Loved going through the details with Professor Perry Wilson. We all thank you !

By Richard A

Sep 22, 2021

Dr P​erry Wilson delightfully illuminates the underpinnings of medical research reporting, skillfully and entertainingly exposing how even a skilled researcher meaning well can unintentionally mislead readers. Would that every health journalist were required to pass this course before reporting!

By Lloyd J

Jun 8, 2020

Enjoyed the way that this course presented the information. The examples used thru the course helped to reinforce the topic being presented. The presentation style of Perry is great, with his obvious real life knowledge of the topic at hand aiding to the course. Highly recommend this course.