Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

126 - 150 of 577 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Barbara P

Feb 25, 2019

Very interesting and informative, it provides you with all the informations. It gives you a really nice level of understanding so that you can carry on with your research. Very enjoyable. :)

By grecia a g

Oct 15, 2019

Muy buen curso, los conceptos de memoria y amnesia son muy bien explicados y ejemplificados por los distintos cortos de películas. Muy recomendado, el doctor es muy bueno y claro al exponer

By ananya i

Jun 18, 2020

he was a lovely instructor, enrapturing the most memorable moments in movie and conveying the topic in a most effect way, i was totally into the course. thank you for preparing this course

By Katerina K

Oct 31, 2016

Very intriguing and carefully structured course. It was pleasant and easy to watch and understand the lectures, even without having any backround knowledge on the field. Great work,indeed.

By Kayce M

Apr 19, 2017

Very good course, very descriptive and I learnt a lot of things I didn't know - plus, I developed some ideas and concepts I already knew about so that I have a better understanding for my

By qiu

Jan 27, 2018

The information provided in the course is retained after a year or two. I am in my early 40s. Memory wise I'm not in my prime state. And that said something about how good the course is.

By Jenny J P

Jul 3, 2020

Excelente tema, muy bien desarrollado y me motivo tanto, que compré el libro y otro que recomienda John Seamon.

Este tema me parece interesantísimo y aprendí muchas cosas que no sabía.

By Yina T

Aug 14, 2019

Very easy to understand and every week's video and quiz is very manageable too! Thumbs up. An interesting course to learn more about the basics of memory and cognitive functions.

By ADITI M S

A thoroughly rewarding course with stunning compilations. Dr. Seamon is a joy to listen to and ignites curiosity on a much more emotional level than you would typically expect.

By Danil K

Mar 15, 2016

Very informative and thought-provoking course. And also extremely engaging. I found the idea to use films as illustrations of concepts and myths of memory absolutely brilliant.

By Selma C H

Dec 14, 2020

Very engaging content, thoroughly explained and well connected with examples. Having this long list of great movies is awesome, especially with deeper understanding on memory.

By Isabelle V

Sep 6, 2016

Very entertaining way of presenting a serious topic. Although the professor speaks in a rather low voice, the many movie clips make this course very enjoyable. I recommend it!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Berenice J S V

Jan 5, 2017

So enjoyable with clear idea of basic memory structure and function. Loved it from start to end. It is a must for teachers and for anyone that wants to know how memory work.

By George G

Jun 5, 2018

Great Course, interesting subject, I liked the way the Professor presented this through movies. Highly recommended for people interested in memory and psychology in general

By Olga S

Aug 31, 2020

I've never cried so many times as watching this lectures! What great movies were taken as illustrations! Incredible material, creative form, clear and intelligible course.

By Patricia A

Apr 10, 2021

I found the course very interesting & was fascinated to learn how memory works.

As I'm 86 years old it gives me hope that I can keep my hippocampus functioning.

Thank you.

By Borbála B

Nov 4, 2017

Thank you so much this very amazing course. It is not an the everydays studiing. Very nice and well understanding the memory and all the problems with it through movies!

By Philippe R

May 27, 2021

Great teaching by Prof. John Seamon who effectively used movies to explain how memory works! This course was informative, enjoyable and imbued with wisdom. Thank you!

By Heather J

Oct 4, 2020

Really good course. Very well explained and the films made it more relevant and memorable. Challenging questions in the quiz made me think harder. Highly recommended.

By C H

Apr 4, 2019

Calm presentation that slowly helps you to understand the real workings of the mind and memory...good for teachers such as myself and homecare nurses such as my wife.

By Alexandra J J M

Feb 24, 2021

Extremely well put-together course. I truly enjoyed it, it was thought-provoking and the use of movies to illustrate the ways in which memory works was a great tool!

By Zeus S V

Jul 13, 2019

Very interesting, well presented, and the summaries at the end of each video makes easier to remember. I also wish you good memories John. Thank you for this course.

By Екатерина

Apr 18, 2020

It was one of the best courses I've ever studied. Amazing teacher, detailed material, perfectly matched films which you want to see after the lectures. Thank you!!!

By Jutta A

Jul 9, 2017

Very interesting course with up-to-date information on memory. As a big movie fan I really liked the combination of science and movies. Thank you, Professor Seamon!