Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

126 - 150 of 360 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Tilman J

Jul 28, 2016

A thoughtful and sometimes touching course. It gave me a lot to think about memory and the changes that occur in us as we age.

By Karthigeyan

Aug 30, 2017

The course was really entertaining. Came to know a lot of concepts related to memories and also some good movies. Thanks!

By Stegaru M P

Mar 09, 2017

The idea of linking the concepts to movies is really good. I hope to see a course that continues what I've learned so far

By Prateek R

May 19, 2016

Really liked the idea of using movie clips.. -- gives audio/visual illustration/example to textual psychology topics..

By Raluca M

Jul 06, 2017

This has been a very enjoyable course, well structured and entertaining. I have recommended it to some of my friends.

By Germán E C H

May 22, 2018

i BEGAN TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY IN MY CINEMA CHAIR.BY THAT PSYCHOLOGY AND MOVIES ARE MY BETTER WAYS TO STUDY HUMAN BEEN.

By RITESH G

Aug 31, 2018

Love the innovative way of learning the concepts on Memory through some excellent collection of movies. Thank you.

By Ronald M

Jul 04, 2017

This is great course about memory! I enjoyed all the movies that were used as examples in the course! Recommended.

By Christy L

Jun 27, 2017

This course was easy to follow and entertaining and it was especially useful for learning about ageing and memory.

By Mary H

Sep 14, 2017

Relating the concepts to movies made them easy to learn and remember. Very comprehensible and pleasant lectures.

By Jean S

Aug 06, 2017

Excellent course informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the film clips which illustrated the lectures

By Maria

Mar 31, 2016

Great course, i really enjoyed it. The material is very interesting and very well presented. Great job Professor!

By Janette F

Oct 06, 2017

This is an entertaining and challenging course. I learned a great deal about memory and enjoyed the movie clips.

By Kinga D

Mar 21, 2019

The course was very informative. My only complaint is that the audio was very soft when the professor spoke.

By William A

Aug 26, 2016

nice way of presenting materials. i enjoyed ever bit of them.

i will recommend this course to others for sure

By Alvaro P

Jan 13, 2018

Great way to learn about memory and the brain. This approach should be an example to follow by other moocs.

By Kaori M

Jul 27, 2016

Informative and entertaining! Yes, in this course you can learn about memory and have fun watching movies.

By Malathi J

Aug 30, 2017

An engaging, gentle course on a fascinating subject. Loved the treatment and the approach of Prof. Seamon.

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Vijay R

Jan 30, 2018

Extremely engaging and entertaining course that adds to my vocabulary and curiosity of human memory.

By Donna M J

Apr 12, 2018

I enjoyed learning about Memory through movies. It was a fun and intesting way to learn. Thank you!

By Дина

Dec 02, 2017

Very useful course in which you can learn a lot about your memory watching your favourite movies!

By A. E H

Apr 19, 2018

Really entertaining way to learn about memory, I really enjoyed this course. Thank you so much.

By Tran T H L

Sep 11, 2017

Very informative, entertaining and useful course for your own interest and personal development