Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

1 - 25 of 344 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Melissa P

Mar 19, 2017

By Manasa V

Dec 25, 2018

nice course :)

By Helena K

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interesting course, perfect way to understand memory thru film. Also, makes you learn and think about things and ideas that you wouldn't think that could come up in this kind of course. Very much enjoyed!

By Louisa T

Nov 25, 2018

If you are a movie buff, you would love this course!

By Ko S

Nov 11, 2018

GREA

By Elena M

Jan 05, 2019

Thank you! The course is really useful.

By Barbara P

Feb 25, 2019

Very interesting and informative, it provides you with all the informations. It gives you a really nice level of understanding so that you can carry on with your research. Very enjoyable. :)

By ARPIT B

Feb 21, 2019

The Concept of Learning with Movie Examples is Awesome.

By Silvia F

Mar 11, 2019

Nice course to explain and understand memory with movies as examples.

By Shivakumar

Mar 15, 2019

Liked the Course. Good one.

By Kinga D

Mar 21, 2019

The course was very informative. My only complaint is that the audio was very soft when the professor spoke.

By Rita d C A G O

Aug 06, 2018

Excelente curso. Muito bom para saber como lidar com trabalhadores seniores, principalmente com as novas mudanças na idade mínima da aposentadoria. Informações importantes para ajudar a lidar com funcionários jovens e seniores no mesmo local de trabalho. Muito interessante as informações sobre memória, principalmente pelo uso de recursos como filmes e livros.

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Shiela M

Aug 21, 2018

Fantastic!

By Roger M

Sep 03, 2018

Very entertaining and informative!

By Lvova A

Aug 25, 2018

Interesting doubly

By Anne P

Aug 26, 2018

I loved taking this course! The professor's creative use of films to illustrate the concepts he introduced in each of the lectures on different aspects of memory was very effective and enjoyable. I learned many facts and concepts concerning memory which I did not know and I am now able to appreciate films in a new way. I liked the series of short lectures to which I could attend whenever I wished and provided just the right amount of information so that I could remember it easily.

By PRASANNA P

Sep 10, 2018

Great!

By Sachin K

Sep 10, 2018

Perfect Course and detailed knowledge for each and every part of memory

By amira e

Aug 15, 2018

i'm in the first weak but i loved it already

By Teresa J S

Aug 30, 2018

At 61, was unsure about my ability to commit and complete a course of study. "Understanding Memory" provided the perfect opportunity to resume my education with, what I perceive to be, a unique presentation of the subject matter by John Seamon. This course held my attention, encouraged focus and provided information pertinent to my own life experiences.

I hope to be able to continue with additional courserses.

By RITESH G

Aug 31, 2018

Love the innovative way of learning the concepts on Memory through some excellent collection of movies. Thank you.

By Cedric P

Jul 14, 2018

Amazingly structured class, John Seamon's lecture is fluid and, together with the carefully chosen movie excerpts, even powerful at times. I initially took this class randomly and found it as profoundly informative as I found it enjoyable.

By Peter F

Mar 29, 2017

Interesting on the study of how we remember and when our memories play tricks on us.

By Avril

May 25, 2016

This is one of the few MOOCs I completed! I enjoyed the presentation of psychology mixed with movie excerpts. A great way to illustrate.