Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

1 - 25 of 428 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Melissa P

Mar 19, 2017

By Dr. S D

This course provides common sense and visual examples through movies that improves the level of awareness and understanding for my love ones as I transition. Thank you for sharing your research!

By Apurva D

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

By ADIDI C M

Nov 28, 2019

I have seriously considered myself having a severe memory challenge, whet I sat for an exam, in Daytona FL, five times without succeeding. I recall my then lecturer, Adil who was about 5 years younger than I am, telling me to go take a drug called "ginko". I ultimately felt slighted as I was the oldest in the class, as I was 36years old then, and the only one who took the exams multiple time and never passed.

Coming across this course has thrown much light on the possible causes of the problems I had remembering, and am glad I completed this course. A big thank you to the lecturer, John Seamon for providing and running through the course contents, also a big thank you to Wesleyan University for their willingness to share this course for free, and also to Coursera for giving the platform to be able to access this course. I can't for get to thank God for giving me effrontery to complete this course in flying colors too!!

By Beatrice A F

May 13, 2016

I was actually looking for filmstudy courses but i must say i really enjoyed this one. I learned alot about memories, remembering and how our brain works. I have even found a new way for myself to faster learn scrips for films or remember things, by using the methods from this course! very well done. Just wish Wesleyan would give out the certificates for free. I think its useful to have, but in my case not necessary to purchase for my study career. Besides i'm like most young people very limited in my finances. I'd suggest to rather ask for donations and give out a more detailed certificate for the ones that donate but give out a standard certificate for all students. And thank you to all people involved for making this course, especially prof. Seamon, he explained the material very well!

By Mary G

Apr 24, 2020

I was attracted to the course because of the use of movies. I found that the course was organized well and the information was more relative with the demonstrations of how movies depicted the various phases and descriptions of memory. The instructor was perfect for the course...somewhat humorous but factual and personable. Here are two suggesitions: Adjust the voice volume on the instructor. Even at 100 percent, his voice was very low. Also, I suggest that on test feedback, allow the test taker to see all the answers. It is easier to understand and learn if you see the wrong answer as well as the other choices. I appreciated being able to redo the tests too. Thank you. It was a very engaging experience. It is my second course with Coursera.

By Shailesh S

Nov 26, 2016

Excellent course. I signed up for this course only because of curiosity, after week 1, my interest grew, I had no idea about how the memory "works" (or doesn't), I binged on watching lectures for all weeks and passed weekly quizzes in 1st attempt (except week 1 where I needed 2 attempts), I'm so glad I pursued this and finished in 2 days' time. The subject content, intermixed with relevant movies, flow of the topics, depth and breadth, the way prof. Seamon explains (narrative, style) - all is very good. I'd certainly recommend this course to other students. And, I'll look forward to reading Prof.'s book to understand the topic a bit more. Thanks to all (Coursera, Weslyan U, staff).

By Stefan W

Oct 28, 2019

I thought this was an excellent course, well structured with excellent revision summaries, and very stimulating course material which made you see things from the viewpoint of others which I had not thought of previously. The lectures were informative, easy to understand, clear and delivered in a tutorial manner with just the right amount of repetition to underline key principles of Memory and what causes it to fail and break down in later life. Along with some good practical suggestions on how we might maintain a healthy lifestyle to maintain as efficient a memory as possible into old age. Great course - I enjoyed it - thank you Prof Seamon

By Mustafa S Y

Nov 26, 2017

This course is excellent. The information given is quite interesting and beneficial in understanding memory. The explanation of the various concepts presented in this course is done very well and in an easy-to-understand manner. The professor speaks in a clear, well understood language and in a friendly way. But the most interesting, and fun, thing about this course is how the aspects of memory are explained through the use of various movies presented as short clips and commented on by the instructor. Highly recommend this course for any person interested in memory or movies.

By Joyce S

Mar 20, 2016

I thought this was a wonderful way to explain the science of memory. Many Doctors are giving a dementia test as part of a yearly exam. You draw a clock and must put in the time mentioned plus three words. Frankly, I was annoyed as I was a former teacher, had to drive, park, and use a ticket machine to visit the doctor. I was even more annoyed when I asked him if he could give me a stent test and he asked me how I knew about such things. People in the eighties are very sensitive about their mental abilities.

Thank you for a nice experience!

Joyce Spier

By Elizabeth S

Apr 20, 2017

One of the best seminars I have attended so far. You don't have to be into the field to enroll it. The videos are well structured enriched with the essential material to get to into action. For me the best part was that cinema was used as a very useful tool for better understanding the main points of the course.

Thank you so much Professor John Seamon. I really hope I could follow another course of yours in the future.

Thank you Coursera.org for connecting people interesting in learning with each other in a worldwide scale.

Best luck to everyone

Elizabeth

By Ange R

Nov 23, 2016

The sections are interesting and informative without ever becoming dry. They include lectures, clips from films, and occasional memory exercises (which are short and fun). The professor also sends out emails with recommendations of other/newer movies and books that are relevant and to give some general info. He's involved, which is amazing for a program like this, and I really enjoy the 'psychology through film' aspect in general. Fun, easily accessible to those without a psychology background, and awesome to see related through media.

By Abimael S N

Aug 27, 2019

Very well explained concepts about memory, types of memory, deseases, myths revealed, examples using movies related to some kind of memory issue and real cases that give a deeper understanding about the memory case study.

So useful info applicable to my personal and profesional activities. It would be great to update this course with new info and research about Alzheimer deseas according to medical discovers and advices to face it in early and past ages.

Thank you very much for your dedication John!!

Wonderful course!!

By Osula U I C

Feb 11, 2018

Very interesting course. I sometimes got distracted by the movies presented in that I felt an on the moment urge to watch most of the films presented. What I noticed though, is that all I need to do now is think about one of the movies to remember the main points of the lecture!

I would really love a sequel to this course that would be based on memory maintenance research and includes things like the best physical and intellectual exercises , diet and lifestyle in gnl. -

Thank you for putting together this course

By Elke F

Mar 26, 2017

En este curso el Professor John Seamon nos explica con toda claridad y de manera entretenida cómo es el funcionamiento de nuestra memoria, brindándonos la información de los últimos estudios realizados. Da los elementos que necesitamos para comprender los trastornos, saber respetar y sensibilizarnos con las personas que los sufren.

Recomiendo el curso como parte de nuestra cultura general, y en particular a todas las personas que trabajan con familias que tienen un adulto mayor que convive con ellos.

By Linda B

Sep 27, 2016

This course about memory is very informative about a subject that everyone thinks about, around the world.

We learn about the different types of memory, and about how age affects our memory as we get older, there are lectures on dementia and Alzheimers Disease, and a lecture on how to live healthy to keep our memory from aging early.

The Professor uses movies to give us a visual on the topic discussed, which is a very helpful learning tool as well as entertaining.

I highly recommend taking this course.

By Shivani M

Jul 09, 2020

This course was well articulated, introspective, informative, and most of all a beautiful amalgamation of art and science dipped in philosophy. This course will incite pleasant emotions, better understanding of behaviour and fill you with a feeling of gratitude for the things in your life. For young neuroscientists and psychologists interested in this field, this is a wonderful course to start your journey, bolster your passion and appreciation for the brain and all it's intricacies.

By Janis F

Jul 07, 2016

Course was fascinating! Clearly presented. I loved the structure with a summary at the end of each lecture. The quizzes contained only information that was included in the lectures. Easy familiarity of the instructor made me feel like we were having a friendly discussion. Instructor intended to present information to the general public rather than psychology majors & he accomplished that goal. This is my favorite MOOC so far & I never expected to find one I liked more than the

By Anne P

Aug 26, 2018

I loved taking this course! The professor's creative use of films to illustrate the concepts he introduced in each of the lectures on different aspects of memory was very effective and enjoyable. I learned many facts and concepts concerning memory which I did not know and I am now able to appreciate films in a new way. I liked the series of short lectures to which I could attend whenever I wished and provided just the right amount of information so that I could remember it easily.

By Supreeth P N

Oct 02, 2016

This course is very informative and gives us a pretty good understanding of memory and its working in short amount of time. More over this course also entertain using movies. you will learn in this more effectively and the perspective of us looking at the movies changes. Thank you Professor Seamon for this creative course work, that you designed. Also we can understand our memory and our personality. Highly recommended course. Thank you Coursera

By Arun K

Oct 22, 2016

Great course, it is refreshing to revisit topic in psychology with a different perspective. I like that Professor Seamon demonstrates various phenomena associated with Hollywood films. It helps to look at the films and the psychological phenomena from a different angel and definitely enhanced my learning. If I am not wrong, he is teaching us psychology applying our episodic memory so that we retain the learning for long. Thank you.

By rosmi r

Mar 21, 2016

A wonderful course. I really enjoyed studying this. This was my first course on coursera. The lectures were interesting. It helped to clear many misconception I had about memory. Thank you for revealing the world of memory to me. I am not a psychology student. I am an engineer by profession. Just because of my interest in psychology I joined this course and it was worthwhile. Thanking the entire team of Memory and Movies.

By Teresa J S

Aug 30, 2018

At 61, was unsure about my ability to commit and complete a course of study. "Understanding Memory" provided the perfect opportunity to resume my education with, what I perceive to be, a unique presentation of the subject matter by John Seamon. This course held my attention, encouraged focus and provided information pertinent to my own life experiences.

I hope to be able to continue with additional courserses.

By Effrosyni P

Dec 20, 2017

This is by far the most elegant, effective and pure genius way to form a better understanding of Memory. With every new piece of information brilliantly connected to meaningful movie scenes, Dr Seamon uses memory to teach about memory! Highly entertaining, well organized and... probably the only course that can actually become a part of our episodic memory! Thank you (and excuse my inadequate English)!

By JASEEL C

Jun 02, 2020

Truly a wonderful course. Psychology often is thought of as being interesting before we take up the course and boring as we pursue it. This course somehow blends accurate information with entertainment. It also provide learners with a new outlook to movies. After this course, you will never watch movies the same way...

Thanks a lot to the instructor as well the ones who worked behind this venture.