Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

226 - 250 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Ronald M

Jul 04, 2017

This is great course about memory! I enjoyed all the movies that were used as examples in the course! Recommended.

By Dale G

Jun 19, 2018

Very Informative I loved the use of movies as visual examples of different types of memory loss and issue's that come with aging individuals.

By Muhammet M F

Jun 13, 2017

It is easy to follow, clear and informative. Thanks!

By Karina

Apr 14, 2018

excellent course! well-explained, briliant movie - examples and an outstanding narration! I ´ve learned a lot about how our memories work!

By Meetkumar J P

Apr 09, 2017

Thank you for giving me excellent information on psychological system.It is very helpful course for me. Thank you Wesleyan University and Coursera.

By Donald L G

Jul 23, 2017

I loved this course. It was informative and entertaining.

By ji e p

Jan 06, 2017

thank you understanding memory!i like this

By Zeinab D

Jun 05, 2018

I find it very very helpful and interesting to learn.

By Angela T

Jun 15, 2018

Thank you!

By Esthefanny V C

Jun 20, 2018

I really need that book.

By 蔚鹏霞

Sep 05, 2017

It's very helpful to me.

By Lindsay C

Jul 11, 2017

The way this course is presented makes the material meaningful and thus, easier to remember! Thank you for the wonderful course, Professor Seamon.

By Marisol B M

Mar 28, 2017

Buen curso, es exactamente como su nombre lo indica, a través de películas explica cómo funciona la memoria y también aclara que algunas películas no muestran lo que en realidad sucede en nuestro cerebro en casos como la amnesia.

By Jo-Anna E

Jan 29, 2018

Excellent! Although I study psychology at university, (and have studied memory in detail), it is great to watch and learn about memory through the cinematic lens. I feel that my perspective is broadened. Well done and many thanks.

By Prashant S S

May 03, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By daniela g v

Apr 22, 2019

So good to be true. I love the curse.

By Rashad a

Apr 22, 2019

I love it

By C M

Apr 05, 2019

Thank you very much for this opportunity to learn and expand our understanding of memory. I love films and any excuse to watch films residing with important concepts is a wonderful approach. Thank you Prof Seamon and coursera for this chance. I bought the book and it is one that I’ll treasure.

A room without books is a room without a soul.

Cicero

By Kezia R S

Apr 05, 2019

As a movie enthusiast who likes to study basic psychology, this course truly feels like a remarkable combination. It's personally not difficult for me to get engaged with the materials, very exciting, makes myself really have productive time learning. Thank you for the Professor Seamon. I have learned a lot from this course. Have many good memories!

By Christopher H

Apr 04, 2019

Calm presentation that slowly helps you to understand the real workings of the mind and memory...good for teachers such as myself and homecare nurses such as my wife.

By Stacey W

Mar 25, 2019

Best course on memory! And the use of movies reinforced learnings. Recommend!

By Krishna K

May 18, 2019

Very useful course. I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures. Thank you Professor.

By Murat A G

May 27, 2019

Thanks so much for the great course. I enjoyed it from the beginning. Most of the movies were my favorites too. The structure is great, language is carefully adjusted. I recommend the course.

By 성수민

Jun 09, 2019

Thank you, professor! the way you teach us, using the movie clip, was beautiful and attractive. I won't forget you. Happy to toke your class!

By Alfred M