Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

451 - 475 of 488 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Madelyn S

Oct 02, 2016

Enjoyed the content and examples through the movies

By Saisree M P

It makes "memory" a lot more interesting chapter

By Jouhans H G

May 27, 2019

Muy bueno, interesante, práctico e interesante.

By Mansi K

Jul 04, 2016

Liked the course, subject, content and faculty.

By John C

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Kousay a

May 18, 2016

Memory is an important topic to learn about.

By elisa G d R

Sep 17, 2016

Was very Interesting! I learned a lot!! Tks

By Janette V C

Oct 24, 2018

Muy buen curso sobre temas de psicología

By Britta G

Jul 06, 2016

Very interesting in an entertaining way

By Caroline B

Sep 01, 2017

Very interesting and easy to follow !

By Aleksandro d S S

Feb 23, 2020

Very interesting and useful course.

By Ivan

Nov 01, 2017

Fun and informative course.

By Eckstein B M

Aug 07, 2017

this subject is interesting

By Shirley K

Jul 07, 2020

fun course glad I took it

By George L

Oct 03, 2017

i

By Dorothy H

Jul 09, 2016

This "should be" a five star course. It is a great topic, with wonderful clips from movies and is well-written.

Why only 3 stars then?

For a class about film little was adopted from good storytelling and filming techniques. The Prof slumped in his chair and clasped his hands in front of his chest for most of the course and spoke in a wispy, pedantic voice that made me uncomfortable in my body to listen to. I kept on wanting to tell him to sit up and breath and speak naturally! On top of that, the sound quality was simply awful!

If the Prof were to take some acting or presenting lessons and improvements to the sound quality were made (or a professional actor hired to present the material) it could be one of the best courses ever, but instead, it was hard to get through for me even though the material fascinates me as I'm learning neuroscience and love movies.

The world of MOOCs are different than your old standard classroom style. Visual and auditory presentation really counts.

By Helen F

May 05, 2016

I appreciate the effort that went into making this course as well as obtaining the film clips. Having said that, if you want to go deeper into the psychology of memory this course is probably not for you. As I progressed through the weeks, I found myself becoming less and less interested since I already know the basics of memory and psychology. I felt I wasn't learning anything new but the clips of films allowed me to see the films in a new light. Maybe if I had bought the book that goes along with the course, i would have gained more insight but as a standalone course, it rates just three stars.

By David D

Sep 26, 2016

I liked this course for the wide range of movie excerpts which underscored a memory malfunction. The scenes were often emotional, quite surprising such a short moment could be so charged.

However the main emphasis of this memory module was to explore malfunctioning memory, to the side of pathology. This was done professionally without a doubt. However this was not what I personally was looking for although one learns about dementia, alzheimer, etc, which is interesting as they will affect most of us in someway or another.