Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

26 - 50 of 593 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Linda B

Sep 26, 2016

This course about memory is very informative about a subject that everyone thinks about, around the world.

We learn about the different types of memory, and about how age affects our memory as we get older, there are lectures on dementia and Alzheimers Disease, and a lecture on how to live healthy to keep our memory from aging early.

The Professor uses movies to give us a visual on the topic discussed, which is a very helpful learning tool as well as entertaining.

I highly recommend taking this course.

By Wendyj B

Nov 6, 2020

This course was enlightening and very informative. It helped me recognize that no aging brain stays perfect and buying a bunch of pills or playing brain games can undo the damage of Alzheimer’s, so it’s best to enjoy your life and hopefully as mentioned in the Bucket List you have experienced joy and gave joy! Very very pleased and the lectures were interesting and straight to the point. The movies selected clearly explained how movies can help you understand how memory works.Great job Professsor!

By Shivani M

Jul 9, 2020

This course was well articulated, introspective, informative, and most of all a beautiful amalgamation of art and science dipped in philosophy. This course will incite pleasant emotions, better understanding of behaviour and fill you with a feeling of gratitude for the things in your life. For young neuroscientists and psychologists interested in this field, this is a wonderful course to start your journey, bolster your passion and appreciation for the brain and all it's intricacies.

By Janis F

Jul 7, 2016

Course was fascinating! Clearly presented. I loved the structure with a summary at the end of each lecture. The quizzes contained only information that was included in the lectures. Easy familiarity of the instructor made me feel like we were having a friendly discussion. Instructor intended to present information to the general public rather than psychology majors & he accomplished that goal. This is my favorite MOOC so far & I never expected to find one I liked more than the

By Anne P

Aug 26, 2018

I loved taking this course! The professor's creative use of films to illustrate the concepts he introduced in each of the lectures on different aspects of memory was very effective and enjoyable. I learned many facts and concepts concerning memory which I did not know and I am now able to appreciate films in a new way. I liked the series of short lectures to which I could attend whenever I wished and provided just the right amount of information so that I could remember it easily.

By Shrutika M

Oct 9, 2020

This is a very interesting and innovative way to study memory functions and in general, know more about it. It is much more clear because the material or the movies make it more relatable to study, they provide a basis and form an understanding about what we are going to study, they also work as an elaborate example which clarifies the practicality rather than just focusing on the theoretical aspect of memory.

The professor makes it so much more fun.

Amazing course.

By Supreeth P N

Oct 2, 2016

This course is very informative and gives us a pretty good understanding of memory and its working in short amount of time. More over this course also entertain using movies. you will learn in this more effectively and the perspective of us looking at the movies changes. Thank you Professor Seamon for this creative course work, that you designed. Also we can understand our memory and our personality. Highly recommended course. Thank you Coursera

By Tarun V

May 27, 2021

A​ very Interesting Course. Got to learn many new things and most importanly am able to remember most of them(since the prof presented them so well that i was able to remember them while watching the video lectures itself). A heartly tahnks to the prof and the staff of westland university for providing such a wonderful course. And also thanks to coursera for providing such a platform so that we got a chance to learn from such courses.

By Arun K

Oct 22, 2016

Great course, it is refreshing to revisit topic in psychology with a different perspective. I like that Professor Seamon demonstrates various phenomena associated with Hollywood films. It helps to look at the films and the psychological phenomena from a different angel and definitely enhanced my learning. If I am not wrong, he is teaching us psychology applying our episodic memory so that we retain the learning for long. Thank you.

By Ros

Mar 21, 2016

A wonderful course. I really enjoyed studying this. This was my first course on coursera. The lectures were interesting. It helped to clear many misconception I had about memory. Thank you for revealing the world of memory to me. I am not a psychology student. I am an engineer by profession. Just because of my interest in psychology I joined this course and it was worthwhile. Thanking the entire team of Memory and Movies.

By Shauna B

Sep 8, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. I liked the teacher's laid-back style. He chose fabulous movies to illustrate his points - looking at their accuracies and inaccuracies. I learned some new words - didn't know what anterograde amnesia was but realize now that this is what people most often present with. It's memory formation that we see in dementia. Great course. I took it for fun as well as interest and was not disappointed!

By Teresa J S

Aug 30, 2018

At 61, was unsure about my ability to commit and complete a course of study. "Understanding Memory" provided the perfect opportunity to resume my education with, what I perceive to be, a unique presentation of the subject matter by John Seamon. This course held my attention, encouraged focus and provided information pertinent to my own life experiences.

I hope to be able to continue with additional courserses.

By Rose B

Dec 20, 2017

This is by far the most elegant, effective and pure genius way to form a better understanding of Memory. With every new piece of information brilliantly connected to meaningful movie scenes, Dr Seamon uses memory to teach about memory! Highly entertaining, well organized and... probably the only course that can actually become a part of our episodic memory! Thank you (and excuse my inadequate English)!

By Jaseel C

Jun 2, 2020

Truly a wonderful course. Psychology often is thought of as being interesting before we take up the course and boring as we pursue it. This course somehow blends accurate information with entertainment. It also provide learners with a new outlook to movies. After this course, you will never watch movies the same way...

Thanks a lot to the instructor as well the ones who worked behind this venture.

By Karen N M V

Feb 25, 2017

Excellent course!

Thank you very much.

As a student of pedagogy, it has helped me to complement topics on cognitive functions and learning. The time devoted to each topic may seem short, but it gave me the information I needed to understand the basic terms and delve into them in the future.

For the moment, I'll wait for my copy of the book.

Again, thank you teacher.

Make another course :)

By olivier r

Apr 17, 2018

Bon cours sur le fonctionnement de la mémoire, les différents types de mémoire, les difficultés rencontrées avec l'age, et les principales maladies liées à la mémoire. Une fin positive, avec quelques conseils pour travailler sa mémoire. D'une façon générale, ce cours permet de relativiser les petites difficultés de mémoire que chacun rencontre, et qui restent rares à présager le pire.

By Angie P

Jul 4, 2019

This course is amazing! The information given by the teacher is complete and accurate. The way of explaining every topic is very good, anyone could understand this course, you don't need to be a psychologist, psychiatrist or a neurologist to enjoy this course and to acquire all of the knownledge offered. I'm currently studying psychology and found it really helpfull. Thanks a lot! (:

By Qudsiya

Jul 31, 2020

I must first mention the fact that John Seamon has a wonderful manner of narrating. Part of the learning that takes place in this course is because of his style. I am sure to take more courses designed by him.

I will definitely read his book because the knowledge and information shared through the course increases your curiosity to know more. Thank you . It was an awesome course.

By Angie Z

Jul 5, 2016

This is an excellent course with a very knowledgeable instructor with the course information laid out in a simple and organized way. I definitely recommend this course to others who would be interested In an interest section of psychology that affects us all, memory. The movies help illustrate the points and concepts that are in the lecture so that we can a have grasp of them.

By K R A

The course covers memory and its many facets in a very lucid manner so that even a lay person can benefit. The course material is presented exceptionally well by the professor..making us want to continue to continue to progress. The movies have been selected very well indeed to illustrate concepts and also to keep us engrossed...I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thank you.

By Valentina D R

Jul 24, 2020

Enjoy a course I can watch and learn, as I like to listen to interesting facts while I sew or paint.

I loved that I could repeat the quiz, so then I ended up learning.

I have concluded that my semantic memory is faster than my episodic!

The fact that John spoke slow and clear helped a lot.

Thank you John, you have a lovely energy and was like having my dad tell me stories xx

By Gaivilė K

Jan 21, 2018

This is my first course on Coursera. Rate it 5 stars, because I learned some new and useful information about memory and our brains. Also, the presentation of course is highly creative and therefore more memorable. What is more, the professor's speaking and teaching way really helps to memorize as much information as possible! I highly recommend this course to everyone!

By Alpa M

May 16, 2017

This is a wonderful course and a very nice way of learning about memory. Professor Seamon's narration and teaching was simple and easy to understand. The lecture were of just the right length to hold attention and not cause boredom.The course was funny and had some very touchy moments. The films shown are really interesting. Thank you for such a wonderful course.

By Rita d C A G O

Aug 5, 2018

Excelente curso. Muito bom para saber como lidar com trabalhadores seniores, principalmente com as novas mudanças na idade mínima da aposentadoria. Informações importantes para ajudar a lidar com funcionários jovens e seniores no mesmo local de trabalho. Muito interessante as informações sobre memória, principalmente pelo uso de recursos como filmes e livros.

By Vassia D

May 24, 2016

A very useful course, and not just for psychologists. I have a mother that has memory problems, and this course helped me identify her illness and help her in any way I can.

Also, as a movie fanatic, it was so much easier to understand the complex ways our mind works through all the great movies our instructor used. Thank you so much for this course!!!