Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

26 - 50 of 343 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Rita d C A G O

Aug 06, 2018

Excelente curso. Muito bom para saber como lidar com trabalhadores seniores, principalmente com as novas mudanças na idade mínima da aposentadoria. Informações importantes para ajudar a lidar com funcionários jovens e seniores no mesmo local de trabalho. Muito interessante as informações sobre memória, principalmente pelo uso de recursos como filmes e livros.

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Jo-Anna E

Jan 29, 2018

Excellent! Although I study psychology at university, (and have studied memory in detail), it is great to watch and learn about memory through the cinematic lens. I feel that my perspective is broadened. Well done and many thanks.

By Maria-Anastasia A

Jan 14, 2017

The course was very interesting and easy most of the times to follow. The idea to use films in order to show some facts about memory is unique and makes the course very attractive. I would highly recommend this course. I learned a lot and i did it in a very pleasant way. Thank you for the opportunity to follow this course.

By Peter F

Mar 29, 2017

Interesting on the study of how we remember and when our memories play tricks on us.

By claudia m

Jul 01, 2018

Extraordinary

By Avril

May 25, 2016

This is one of the few MOOCs I completed! I enjoyed the presentation of psychology mixed with movie excerpts. A great way to illustrate.

By Jessica

Sep 04, 2016

Such an interesting course, would definitely recommend.

By Evelina S

Apr 15, 2016

Very interesting and valuable course

By Beatrice A F

May 13, 2016

I was actually looking for filmstudy courses but i must say i really enjoyed this one. I learned alot about memories, remembering and how our brain works. I have even found a new way for myself to faster learn scrips for films or remember things, by using the methods from this course! very well done. Just wish Wesleyan would give out the certificates for free. I think its useful to have, but in my case not necessary to purchase for my study career. Besides i'm like most young people very limited in my finances. I'd suggest to rather ask for donations and give out a more detailed certificate for the ones that donate but give out a standard certificate for all students. And thank you to all people involved for making this course, especially prof. Seamon, he explained the material very well!

By Ermanno G

May 15, 2016

Very interesting and intriguing way to show, by movies, how much our memory ability means in our everyday life. Thanks to have share it. For me is first of all a stimulating way to train my english fluency

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Gerardo R G

Jun 09, 2016

Excellent class, valuable information and emotional contents. Great teacher and great presentations. I would recommend this class to anyone.

By José M B G

Jan 13, 2018

Un curso fantástico, muy ameno y recomendable. Con rigor científico y la relación que hacen con el cine me parece completamente genial.

By Simone E G

Oct 31, 2016

I loved the way the course was given, with film examples.

By Jesús M

Dec 07, 2016

The course was entertaining, didactic and emotional. This was my first experience in Corsera and I am thankful to Professor John Seamon for his didactic quality and for his humanity in dealing with such sensitive and dramatic subjects.

By Janette F

Oct 06, 2017

This is an entertaining and challenging course. I learned a great deal about memory and enjoyed the movie clips.

By rosmi r

Mar 21, 2016

A wonderful course. I really enjoyed studying this. This was my first course on coursera. The lectures were interesting. It helped to clear many misconception I had about memory. Thank you for revealing the world of memory to me. I am not a psychology student. I am an engineer by profession. Just because of my interest in psychology I joined this course and it was worthwhile. Thanking the entire team of Memory and Movies.

By Vasiliki D

May 24, 2016

A very useful course, and not just for psychologists. I have a mother that has memory problems, and this course helped me identify her illness and help her in any way I can.

Also, as a movie fanatic, it was so much easier to understand the complex ways our mind works through all the great movies our instructor used. Thank you so much for this course!!!

By Hasan P

Jan 26, 2017

It is a very informative course for memory.

By Jing Y

Apr 07, 2016

Very interestingly designed with theories about memory and films with related topics.

By Tran T H L

Sep 11, 2017

Very informative, entertaining and useful course for your own interest and personal development

By Joyce S

Mar 20, 2016

I thought this was a wonderful way to explain the science of memory. Many Doctors are giving a dementia test as part of a yearly exam. You draw a clock and must put in the time mentioned plus three words. Frankly, I was annoyed as I was a former teacher, had to drive, park, and use a ticket machine to visit the doctor. I was even more annoyed when I asked him if he could give me a stent test and he asked me how I knew about such things. People in the eighties are very sensitive about their mental abilities.

Thank you for a nice experience!

Joyce Spier

By Elke F

Mar 26, 2017

En este curso el Professor John Seamon nos explica con toda claridad y de manera entretenida cómo es el funcionamiento de nuestra memoria, brindándonos la información de los últimos estudios realizados. Da los elementos que necesitamos para comprender los trastornos, saber respetar y sensibilizarnos con las personas que los sufren.

Recomiendo el curso como parte de nuestra cultura general, y en particular a todas las personas que trabajan con familias que tienen un adulto mayor que convive con ellos.

By 杨阳