Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

51 - 75 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Leung P C

Jun 10, 2018

Changes in memory can occur as we get older, so I think everyone should know more about it. This course give me the chance to learn more about memory through the Psychology way and the interesting movies. It give me the idea to develop my personality and improve (inspiring) my life, thank you!!

By Yenai J

Aug 13, 2017

I have fully enjoyed this course. I have learned a lot and the movies were great examples for the topics that were being discussed!

By Borbála B

Nov 04, 2017

Thank you so much this very amazing course. It is not an the everydays studiing. Very nice and well understanding the memory and all the problems with it through movies!

By Mustafa S Y

Nov 26, 2017

This course is excellent. The information given is quite interesting and beneficial in understanding memory. The explanation of the various concepts presented in this course is done very well and in an easy-to-understand manner. The professor speaks in a clear, well understood language and in a friendly way. But the most interesting, and fun, thing about this course is how the aspects of memory are explained through the use of various movies presented as short clips and commented on by the instructor. Highly recommend this course for any person interested in memory or movies.

By Bárbara M

Mar 10, 2018

It is an interesting course, it allowed me to practice my knowledge in reading and understanding the English language and learning about memory in a didactic and entertaining way. Thanks so much

By Kayce M

Apr 19, 2017

Very good course, very descriptive and I learnt a lot of things I didn't know - plus, I developed some ideas and concepts I already knew about so that I have a better understanding for my

By Joann T

Dec 21, 2017

Excellent course! Professor is soft spoken and his delivery is fantastic. Fascinating class that answers questions about memory in a clear concise manner.

By Thomas d S

Apr 09, 2018

Came for Memento, stayed for the soothing, sexy voice.

This course is a perfect example of how to use entertainment for education.

By Antonio M

Feb 14, 2017

Interesante, ameno y bien explicado. Recomendable 100%

By DR.santosh k p

Jul 11, 2017

its unique course .i m fan of professor. thank you sir for so nicely explaining memory.

By Zhiying W

Sep 27, 2017

This course is very good, learning a lot of memory knowledge, especially through the way the film about memory, very novel, very fond of!

By A. E H

Apr 19, 2018

Really entertaining way to learn about memory, I really enjoyed this course. Thank you so much.

By George G

Jun 05, 2018

Great Course, interesting subject, I liked the way the Professor presented this through movies. Highly recommended for people interested in memory and psychology in general

By Priscila L

Nov 15, 2017

such a complex topic, explained calmly and dynamically. Congrats, professor!

By احمد ا

Mar 12, 2018

one of the most enjoyable & informative courses

By 吴秀琛

Apr 27, 2018

The course is informative and really good for beginner .

By Yuyun X

Dec 15, 2017

Really wonderful, enjoyable, worthy course, I learned bot just about the memory things, also the storytelling way to share knowledge, and the passion to do things. Thanks a lot for this course.

By Gaivilė K

Jan 21, 2018

This is my first course on Coursera. Rate it 5 stars, because I learned some new and useful information about memory and our brains. Also, the presentation of course is highly creative and therefore more memorable. What is more, the professor's speaking and teaching way really helps to memorize as much information as possible! I highly recommend this course to everyone!

By Akshat J

Jun 29, 2018

A brilliant course. It is a must do course.

By Imane f f

Feb 19, 2018

very joyful and fun to learn, I loved every lesson so far.

By Effrosyni P

Dec 20, 2017

This is by far the most elegant, effective and pure genius way to form a better understanding of Memory. With every new piece of information brilliantly connected to meaningful movie scenes, Dr Seamon uses memory to teach about memory! Highly entertaining, well organized and... probably the only course that can actually become a part of our episodic memory! Thank you (and excuse my inadequate English)!

By WIJDAN A

Jun 03, 2018

it is the first course I actually took...... your memory are you and I think every one have to take this course

thank u very much .... I can't thank you enough

By Ronald M

Jul 04, 2017

This is great course about memory! I enjoyed all the movies that were used as examples in the course! Recommended.

By Dale G

Jun 19, 2018

Very Informative I loved the use of movies as visual examples of different types of memory loss and issue's that come with aging individuals.

By Muhammet M F

Jun 13, 2017

It is easy to follow, clear and informative. Thanks!