Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

151 - 175 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Ajaan R K

Jul 15, 2016

Easily Understandable... VERY Interesting... Thoroughly Entertaining...

By Jean S

Aug 06, 2017

Excellent course informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the film clips which illustrated the lectures

By Monika M

Oct 23, 2017

Excellent learning program

By jinxiu

Nov 07, 2016

特别喜欢这个课程,让我了解很多原来不知道的知识,也让我知道一些大脑的运作规则,我向很多身边的朋友,同事推荐了这个课程,值得认真的学一学。

By KEERTHI R

Nov 23, 2016

An awesome experience with the team. A big THANK YOU!!!

By Rehab S

Oct 26, 2016

An informative class put together in a very interesting

By Sara M S

Feb 23, 2018

It was a very dynamic course, I refreshed many subjects that I had forgotten, but this time I learned with more sense and emotion. Thank you very much, professor!

By Melissa R

Mar 31, 2018

Es excelente!

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By Apurva D

Mar 10, 2017

By Berenice J S V

Jan 05, 2017

So enjoyable with clear idea of basic memory structure and function. Loved it from start to end. It is a must for teachers and for anyone that wants to know how memory work.

By Karen N M V

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent course!

Thank you very much.

As a student of pedagogy, it has helped me to complement topics on cognitive functions and learning. The time devoted to each topic may seem short, but it gave me the information I needed to understand the basic terms and delve into them in the future.

For the moment, I'll wait for my copy of the book.

Again, thank you teacher.

Make another course :)

By jane b

Jul 13, 2017

This is a wonderful course. I really enjoyed the presenter and have purchased his book so I could continue learning. I love movies and I love to learn to it was a perfect combination. A very fun course with a wealth of knowledge.

By Danil K

Mar 15, 2016

Very informative and thought-provoking course. And also extremely engaging. I found the idea to use films as illustrations of concepts and myths of memory absolutely brilliant.

By Cynthia M

Mar 13, 2016

Definitely worth the time!

By 周融

Feb 17, 2016

wonderful

By Maximus R

Jun 05, 2017

Very interesting!

By María T A C

Dec 23, 2016

Increíble y entretenido curso para aprender lo que implica recordad y tener memoria.

By Pritika G

Mar 03, 2017

excellent course, the topics are taught in a creative and memorable way. Thank you!

By Wilma J

Jun 18, 2017

P

By Susan H

Jun 15, 2017

I learned so much from this course. I now know how to take care of myself. And not to worry about my 80 year old parents so much. The use of movies to illustrate memory was fantastic in that the subject was entertaining. I liked the professor and subject so much I bought the book. What a nice combination to teach a subject. Movies and memory.

By Erin S

Oct 03, 2016

Very insightful

By luisa f m

Nov 15, 2016

an excelent and useful course I really like it

By Donna M J

Apr 12, 2018

I enjoyed learning about Memory through movies. It was a fun and intesting way to learn. Thank you!

By Ondina F P

Aug 09, 2016

Es un curso muy interesante, sencillo y entretenido. Ideal para principiantes.