Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

MS
Feb 6, 2021

This is a great course.I'm a film lover and a psychology student.This method of learning [learning through movies] more effect than the usual learning. Hope to see more courses like this in future.

151 - 175 of 593 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Екатерина

Apr 18, 2020

It was one of the best courses I've ever studied. Amazing teacher, detailed material, perfectly matched films which you want to see after the lectures. Thank you!!!

By Jutta A

Jul 9, 2017

Very interesting course with up-to-date information on memory. As a big movie fan I really liked the combination of science and movies. Thank you, Professor Seamon!

By Hana B

Apr 9, 2020

An excellent Professor, very nice personality, great choice of movies. One of the best courses I had.

Thank You, I will always remember this course :-) (I hope...)

By Sara M S

Feb 23, 2018

It was a very dynamic course, I refreshed many subjects that I had forgotten, but this time I learned with more sense and emotion. Thank you very much, professor!

By Dany P

Aug 28, 2017

It was super entertaining and cool but the best part is that I understood many things I didn't know and now I know some things that are helping me with my memory.

By Nicola D

Jun 2, 2017

Excellent pacing on this course, with lots of movies to aid in understanding and remembering the basic principles. The lecturer was very responsive in the forums.

By Sandra L

May 2, 2016

A traves de las peliculas sentimos empatia hacia ciertas circunstancias y aprendemos con el ejemplo de la experiencia de otros. Este curso ha sido muy instructivo

By STAUROFOROS

Jan 1, 2021

Dear John, I would really like to thank you for creating this series of courses! it was both informative and enjoyable ... With kind regards, Stavos Baltiranis.

By WIJDAN A

Jun 3, 2018

it is the first course I actually took...... your memory are you and I think every one have to take this course

thank u very much .... I can't thank you enough

By Mariya C

Mar 4, 2021

Prof. Seamon is wonderful and I really enjoyed his course on memory! Thank you so much for all your effort and the time you took to prepare this course for us!

By Anna M D

Jan 2, 2021

Excellent course, I really enjoyed every part of it! I've learnt very useful facts about how memory works, amnesia, dementia etc. Many thanks to the professor!

By Ellen P

Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed learning about how memory works through the movies. Having a 'picture' of each memory topic helped it come to life and made learning more enjoyable.

By Joan A

Apr 26, 2020

This course was filled with functional information and informative facts. The course was entertaining and keeps the learner engaged throughout!!! Thank you!!

By Anahita I

Jun 30, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and learnt a lot from it, as the concept of memory was presented and explained in a very interesting and unique manner. Thank you!

By Chris B

Aug 19, 2020

It was a a great idea to illustrate the various concepts with movies. This made a more enjoyable exercise of what could be a fairly dry subject.

Thanks

Chris B

By Sam R

Sep 14, 2017

An eye opener to my ignorance about memory and how it functions. Using movies as a gateway to explain the intricacies of memory is a great idea.... Thank you!

By Gracie M

Nov 30, 2020

First time taking a psychology course. Highly recommend this--especially for film majors looking for a fascinating course outside their preferred discipline.

By Prabodh K

Aug 13, 2016

excellent and very interesting course. Loved the concept of understanding memory by watching movies. and the movie selections are fantastic. Great course.

By Angel J

Jul 2, 2018

Very informative and easy to understand. I have enjoyed learning with Professor Seamon very much. I feel grateful to have studied the course. Thanks a lot!!

By Joann T

Dec 21, 2017

Excellent course! Professor is soft spoken and his delivery is fantastic. Fascinating class that answers questions about memory in a clear concise manner.

By Kieron N

Jul 9, 2020

Very informative course on memories, teaching the psychology and biology of memory, using a familiar media of movies to explain these more complex topics.

By Katherine Z

Apr 5, 2020

Excelente curso!! Mucho aprendizaje!! Gracias por la oportunidad de brindarme este conocimiento! Me encantó el tema y todas las lecciones! Agradecida!

By Vivek S

Jun 30, 2020

Lovely Course! I would recommend it to all, especially to those who are into Psychology, Neuroscience and Behavioural Studies with a touch of Philosophy!

By Chris N

Jun 23, 2020

This course was so good! Now I have finished it I want to learn more about the subject, and I will also be buying the book accompanying the course. Would

By Shehariyar B P

Jul 9, 2018

The most difficult part was remembering our Professor's surname, not a very intuitive one for a Memory Psychologist! Beautiful Course, thank's a ton Sir.