Back to The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness by University of Toronto

Learn how social factors promote mental health, influence the onset and course of mental illness, and affect how mental illnesses are diagnosed and treated. This course explores how our understanding of mental health and illness has been influenced by social attitudes and social developments in North America and around the world. The course begins by situating our contemporary mental health practices in historical context, then looks at different aspects of mental health, mental illness and mental health services and their connections to what’s going on in our social environment....

AW
Sep 27, 2020

A very enlightening course. This opened my eyes a lot more to what Mental health is all about and how patients with diverse mental illness struggle through their journey to healing and recovery.

HA
Aug 18, 2020

This is a very interesting and eye opening course. Professor Williams explained in such a way that students like me with zero knowledge could understand and be interested. Highly recommended.

26 - 50 of 106 Reviews for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

By Magdalene J

Nov 9, 2020

Thank you Coursera and University of Toronto for this excellent course on the Social Context of Mental Health and Mental Illness. The lectures, readings and other resources provided in this course under the admirable guidance of Prof. Charmaine Williams is deeply appreciated.

By Adrien P

Thank you for this amazing course! After a few years out of school (I completed a Bachelor of Psychology 5 years ago), taking this course reignited my drive to expand and open my mind. The course covered so much in six weeks that I savoured the last of it, not wanting it to end!

By Marc S M

Oct 1, 2016

This course brings some great awareness for the full spectrum of mental health with regards to families, individuals, and societies. I would say it's a good course for anyone as we all have connections to ourself and other people with regards to mental health and illness.

By Amalia B

I absolutely loved this course! What was the core of this course was who was teaching it. My professor was clear and easy to obtain information from. Thank you for expanding my mind when it comes to the social context of mental health.It was an amazing course!

By Steven D

May 22, 2020

I suggest to anyone who wants to better understand mental illness. The historical context is covered and in my opinion a key element to understanding where we are today. This course will be more then adding a certificate, you'll gain valuable knowledge.

By Julia T V d C

Nov 13, 2020

I really liked this course! I study Psychology and I believe that the course brought many different aspects of mental health, which helped me broaden my comprehension on the subject. It was very well sctruture and left me wanting a second course!

By Kyle D M

Feb 25, 2019

This has been a wonderful course and I am glad that it is offered here through Coursera. I learned a lot and am able to apply my new skills into my current career position. Thank you Charmaine for a lovely experience and platform of learning.

By Diane W

Apr 11, 2020

Excellent Professor! Course is well presented and videos are easy to watch and learn concepts. I have taken several on line courses and the work on developing a comprehensive course is evident. Thank you for a great learning experience.

By MANDIRA Z

Mar 1, 2021

brilliant, detailed and a very detailed view of how we treat mental illness as a society and what are the necessary actions required to treat mental illness through a social context.. This course has been an eye opener.

By Kristen T

Nov 21, 2019

Absolutely love this course!! The professor provided very clear outlines for the discussions and assignments - I'm happy to end these 6 weeks with more knowledge about the social context of mental health and illness.

By SAKSHI C

May 14, 2020

This course was extremely helpful in not only expanding my knowledge base but also to better understand my own surroundings. As an aspiring mental health worker, this certainly proved to be of significant value.

By Amarachi C W

Sep 28, 2020

By Oscar A

Aug 19, 2020

By Fini S E

Apr 27, 2020

It was a great learning experience, I gained a lot of information that will be of great benefit to me in my social work carrier. I will definitely recommend this course to my friends.

By Zhou C

May 23, 2017

Awesome course by Professor Williams who taught us a lot about how to consider health issues under the social context to explore the interaction between health and social factors.

By Nishtha J

Dec 11, 2019

An excellent course which can cater to all kinds of learners who are interested in mental health and its evolution over time along with the impact of society on mental health.

By Donovan L A B R

Apr 25, 2017

The content and activities are very well designed and professional. I higly recommend thsi course to any person interested in learning more about mental health and illness.

By Carolina

Nov 25, 2019

Great course if you want to think about how to develop an intervention in mental health in a small place while knowing the history of mental illnesses and treatment

By Venkataraman R

Feb 26, 2021

I loved the course. I have learnt A LOT from this course and it has opened up a lot of new dimensions of life for me. My sincere gratitude to Professor Williams!

By Shravani B

Feb 21, 2019

It was so structured and meaningfully engaging. Loved every part of it . Thank you Charmaine for bringing this course to coursera. Lots of best wishes to you.

By Pooja R

Dec 15, 2019

Charmaine Williams is a natural communicator and the course material is varied and detailed, however, I would prefer less video and more texts material.

By Stephany C O

Jun 29, 2020

Very nice. A good opportunity to learn about mental health and illness and discover how these two concepts are seen in others places around the world.

By gianluca g

Jan 2, 2021

Priceless learning of ones health, inspirational, appreciation of the struggle and reasons for internalisation stigma have changed my life

By Toluwanimi

Oct 26, 2017

Facilitator is very engaging and brings the subject to life. Will definitely recommend to anyone with any remote interest in mental hea

By Freddy A P V

Sep 28, 2020

I like it because i learn to be more human and consider other things, with a different perspective and tak in count the social context