Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

76 - 100 of 295 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Seyed M H M

May 19, 2017

I learned alot and Got a grasp of some useful model

By Hengeveld

Jun 25, 2017

very good course i will recommend it to all the people i coach

By Filipe G

Jan 04, 2016

Really good. Fantastic overview.

For my taste it was a bit too easy and it could have gone more in depth in some topics. But I understand the need to keep it general also.

By Gladstone M A J

Mar 19, 2018

The message that models are a very good way of thinking about the world is not mere rhetoric. It's clearly the best option in the house. This course gives us a overview of some of the more important models that exist. It made me miss my university times, where I learnt most of them in other contexts. It was amazing to study these models again in such a broader view of their application.

Enjoy.

By Michael O

Oct 17, 2017

Excellent exposition of a variety of mathematical models.

By Dzmitry P

Dec 10, 2016

Love this course! Thank you a lot!

By Jakub K

May 09, 2017

fantastic

By Zhu L

Oct 12, 2017

This is an amazing course for high school students and undergraduate freshmen, especially for students without STEM backgrounds.

Know that it's a very basic introductory course, like an appetizer, it's up to you to research more into all those models (rigorous definition, mathematical formulae, technical papers, real-world application, etc.).

By fiona c

Jul 06, 2016

Clear concise and very interesting. I can't believe it's free

By 孙超

Jun 01, 2017

这个课程太强了,值得学!

By Andrey R

May 24, 2017

This course is a great introduction to simple but useful models. The prominent feature of the course is an intuition and practical examples based one the models provided. Many thanks!

By frank y

Mar 19, 2016

Very inspiring! Brings me into a whole new world, to look at things from brand new perspective.

I love this course and would like to be posted on any update on this subject.

By Gokul K

Feb 25, 2017

By Rishi

Oct 12, 2015

Amazing Course.

By Shahnawaz S

Feb 19, 2017

The instructor does a very good job in explaining difficult concepts and is amazing in his teaching ..

By Godwin K

Oct 22, 2016

Broad & Simple to follow - some basic math is required. Many models introduced and extremenly useful to have in your toolbox.

By KeLi

Mar 31, 2017

The most inspiring course I've ever watched. Millions of thanks and respect to professor Page. I will absolutely watch it again until I understand everything he says and be capable of explaining the models to my friends.

By Olesia S

Feb 05, 2016

Very srtuctored, informative course. Is definitly useful for students from diverse specalties.

By Eduardo A S J

Nov 14, 2015

Great course. Useful for a broad range of subjects. Helpful even in life.

By Adrian A

Jan 29, 2017

Simply excellent from start to finish.

By Aleksandr

May 21, 2017

Very dinamic, interesting and useful course, that many people from various spheres of work and interests could take with benefits. Although few questions in quizzes are doubtfull, the very lections of course are great! Many thanks to Scott E. Page and all other course team members!

By kim c

Sep 04, 2016

this course keeps the basic line for thinking on platform. And the You can get the Idea of resol

By Noha A A

Oct 08, 2016

Very informative and interesting!

By miguel b

Jul 12, 2017

I really love how this course covers this interesting and useful subject.

By Mohamed Y

Feb 16, 2016

This is one of the best courses I have ever take in thinking.