Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

151 - 175 of 296 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Oliver R S

Aug 17, 2016

love it great general start, gentle introduction in all the right ways

By 米建

Feb 05, 2016

this is a excellent course that helps you inproving your thinking quality.

By 李俊

Dec 12, 2016

This course really informs us a great idea ----- the value of a model

By Ioan

Jan 30, 2016

Very good.

By conanar

Dec 07, 2016

It really opened my mind.

By Rajvardhan D

Nov 09, 2017

Great material and clear explanations with a lot of relevant examples

By Peter M

Jul 11, 2016

What a refreshing portfolio of perspectives on modelling! This course answered a lot of questions that I've been accumulating overtime in the 'unanswered' log in my brain. Doing this course felt like a long overdue spring clean.

By Aleksey E

Oct 21, 2017

Great course, thanks.

By Esteban G

Apr 28, 2017

Great!

By Gustavo S d S

Apr 02, 2018

Great professor and resources, relevant concepts about different Thinking Models, Markov, Lyapunov, Blotto, Linear, Categorial, Nash Equilibrium, Paretto Efficiency, etc.

Useful to apply on workplace and daily life as well...

By Mark

Jun 09, 2016

This course is simply AMAZING!!! Thank you Michigan University, & Mr. Scott for your meticulous efforts in bringing to the world quality education in the most simplified pattern!!! Kuddos to Coursera!!!

By yinyue171

Nov 25, 2016

very nice.

By Marta K

Jun 06, 2017

An eye opening walk through different models that govern our lives, both personal, political, social, economic and... [insert any industry, academic discipline]. It'll help you become a more rational person, pay attention to fallacies and patterns that appear around us. Might also turn you into a selfish bot evaluating everything rationally, unless that's just me ;-)

By gaocen

Dec 24, 2017

perfect

By Rafia N

Jan 13, 2016

This course is just amazing.

By Cliff S

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course, wide scale application, highly recommend.

Also :

-clear presentation

-no technical issues with quizzes or content issues

By Yuan X

Dec 05, 2017

awesome

By Zina P

Jun 27, 2018

This course is changing the way I looked at analytics and modeling for businesses. Great experience.

By 李勇