Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

76 - 100 of 310 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Filipe G

Jan 04, 2016

Really good. Fantastic overview.

For my taste it was a bit too easy and it could have gone more in depth in some topics. But I understand the need to keep it general also.

By Carla M

Mar 07, 2016

Very interesting! The teacher explains really well and even though his expertise is social science, he always explains how this thinking can pertain to other realms.

By Ameri

Sep 21, 2018

All the way 5! I am a last year Ph.D. candidate and this is one of the best courses I have ever had in my whole life! The instructor is amazing! I highly recommend.

By Philip W

Nov 19, 2016

Clear. Well paced. Methodical. Ideal balance of mathematics and practical application. Mathematics not too overwhelming although it did push my thinking hard.

By Iftikhar A K

Sep 30, 2016

A very good course. Need time to be completed. It should continue on and lectures should be available every time regarless of end of quizez or assignments.

By Andres M

Sep 07, 2016

I enjoyed this course a lot; it is very comprehensive and let you gain a lot of perspective through the models discussed in it and how you can apply those.

By Omar S

Aug 07, 2017

Well done, the professor has a great personality which makes it fun to understand the topics. Using math to solve practical real life problems. Amazing!

By Clemens S

Jun 08, 2016

Succinct, useful in day to day life, easy to understand and yet complex. A great course I would recommend to everybody (and frequently do recommend).

By Annabella R

Dec 06, 2016

Il loved this course-- what I could finish of it. I come back to it again and again. Clear, great referernces and resources..and excellent Profes

By Bojan K

Jun 11, 2019

Don't let the length of the course discourage you. It is worth it by the end. Very informative and useful in both professional and personal life.

By Weigeng L

Jan 19, 2018

A really useful and interesting lesson. Learning through numbers of simple but meaningful models, providing me an introduction to model thinking.

By Anton O

Jun 05, 2017

Great lectures, but I would appreciate the course much more if it went deeper into the mathematics and how to model things from that perspective.

By 庄宇州

Oct 07, 2015

It’s really funny,and we can learn a lot from this course,even without any awareness.Just a few words that we cannot get it indeed frustrated us.

By EDUARDO M

Oct 05, 2019

Excelente curso. Aprendí bastante de los tipos de modelos que existen las realidades en las que se pueden aplicar y cómo aplicarlos. Sigan así!

By Aloys F T

Jun 28, 2016

My favorite course of all time.. It has a lot of interesting concepts and a fascinating perspective on this weird thing the world/society is.

By Aelita M

Nov 30, 2015

A comprehensive course that goes into different areas of science to demonstrate why and how modeling is used. Fun to watch and very clear!

By krishna m

Jun 28, 2019

Excellent course to understand how to use different models to think and make decisions, in general and in a work setting, in particular.

By Cliff S

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course, wide scale application, highly recommend.

Also :

-clear presentation

-no technical issues with quizzes or content issues

By Armand R

Apr 09, 2016

Eye-opening cross-disciplinary program with an outstanding teacher. Cannot be better, thank you Internet for bringing this to everyone.

By Alan Z

Jun 08, 2016

Very cool course shows me how to model many real world examples, tons of modeling techniques, and most importantly, how to think inde

By Emily M

Jan 04, 2016

This course is brilliant. Organised, well paced and has really consolidated the direction of study I would like to pursue. Thank you!

By Şükrü B

Jun 02, 2017

This was one of the best courses I've taken so far. Thanks for providing this great material and information to students worldwide.

By Taffy E

Jan 06, 2016

Excellent course. Even just the first two weeks are worth 5 stars. The math can be intimidating later on. Take what works for you!!

By Otávio B d S S

Jun 02, 2019

Really great course. Thanks University of Michigan and Professor Scott Page for sharing such interesting material with us. Bests!

By İsmail k

Nov 12, 2019

It was great introductory course to the awesome world of models. I've enjoyed and learned a lot. Thanks Coursera and Prof. Page.