Back to Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music by Berklee College of Music

4.4

This course shares practical tips and strategies to help you take your first step into launching your career as a musical artist. We’ll cover everything from developing your unique identity as an artist and how to lead a band all the way to planning and recording your first independent record with the help of crowdfunding. The course curriculum is modeled from the real-world experience of Leah Waldo (also known as the emerging country artist, Elisa Smith) and features interviews with industry executives, artists, producers, and engineers — all designed to help you navigate the music industry....

AA

Oct 04, 2020

This course has helped me a lot in finding put the driving forces to accomplish my career goal as a musician. Moreover it helped me to identify the various music brand partnership around the globe.

AM

Jul 17, 2020

This course is really helpful for those who want to build a career in music or want to build a band and managing them. Great Class, simple concepts, and connecting it all to your dream.

51 - 69 of 69 Reviews for Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music

By Dan C

Jul 27, 2018

This is a good course. I really appreciated used her personal experience as a living case study to teach and demonstrate the material.

By Abu S M F

Jun 15, 2020

You get to know a lot about crowdfunding, would like more in-depth methods and mechanics

By James c

Jul 30, 2020

Informative and good advice. Thanks alot

By AADIL K

Jul 01, 2020

Great course

By Stephanie A

Sep 28, 2020

I took this course as part of the Music Business Specialization and am not a musical artist myself. This course was geared towards musical artists and although I learned a lot of valuable information, some of the assignments were unnecessary for someone in my position including the final project. They should consider making it so non-artists can just do the peer-review portion and not the submission.

By Rohit V R

Jul 29, 2020

Instead of making me sit through Q&A sessions, I felt that these sessions could be used as research for the instructor and put forward to me as a more comprehensive maybe point wise instructions on what I need to do so I can make better note of things.

By Karel P

Aug 30, 2020

Creo que el curso tiene algunos conceptos desactualizados y otros muy personales. Por ejemplo, existen muchos casos de éxito de artistas cuyos ingresos dependen solo del streaming.

By Elihú R M

Jan 23, 2019

Esta bueno el curso; sin embargo, tiene algunos errores como la entrega final.

By Andrés F G

Jul 08, 2020

Its cool, but I would like that the instructor already have more trayectory

By Leonardo R

Oct 22, 2020

Good... but basic, not updated and not deep

By Juan C C L

Sep 18, 2020

Good intention, good vibe. Nice try.

By Eileen

This course is good for someone who is just starting out in their artist journey and is geared for someone who is a vocalist who is also a band leader. The budgeting and networking tips are very rudimentary and could have been left out, in my opinion, in place of more artist-relevant things - there are much better resources out there for learning these skills. The thesis in the first week about not seeing the "business" side of your artistic endeavors as a chore that is separate from your creative side as well as making sure you have a cohesive "elevator pitch" that shows your identity, vision and intention was good. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there.

By ASHNA G

Jul 05, 2020

Good course i wish it should have social media tips to build brand in music instagram

By Mohammad K H

Jun 02, 2020

The full course is boring,.The total course is based and focused on the lecturar.

By Daniela Z Q

Sep 28, 2020

DO NOT, please DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME (& MONEY) IN THIS COURSE. IT'S OUTDATED and BORING. The instructor just talks about her band ALL THE TIME, and is not even a big or a good band, they have barely 8 listeners per month on Spotify. So how can you trust her? She also talks about growing your fan base by asking people for their email to make email lists..... really??? is 2020 not 2008. This course does not teach you anything you can't google and I'm pretty sure you could get better results and ideas there, or watching youtube videos.

By Brianna S

Jun 29, 2020

I hate to give such a negative review, but I think this course is an absolute waste of time. First off, this is in the music business specialization on Coursera, however this course is really made for artists and not managers (like myself) or anyone else in the music field. In addition, the course is basically making you follow the steps that Leah did in her career, but when I researched her band I found that they are not successful in the slightest. Therefore this kind of invalidates the course as a whole.

By Kaitlyn C

Apr 27, 2020

I'm taking the Music Business Specialization to learn more about the music industry and hopefully get information on artist management. This course is for musicians or bands and the prompts and final project focus directly on what to do as an artist. I found it very difficult to take this course and to answer the discussion questions not being a musician.

By Manuela S O

Aug 31, 2020

This course is to focus on artist to be part of this specialization. Some lectures are pretty lame and bored. And if your are planning to become an artist manager, or working around an artist is useful, but questions are focused on you as an artist and it's impossible to develop the complete course without feeling alien.

By Maxwell J

Gives almost no information about anything, the instructor feels like she's trying to sell me her album in like half the videos/readings, and the course can be completed extremely quickly.