Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

126 - 150 of 2,626 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Sam B

Oct 07, 2016

Recommend to anyone who has just 20 extra minutes in their day. It is an extremely useful tool no matter what area you work or specialize in. The course is easy and well presented. I am studying Business Administration with a BA degree and I find that this class can be even more helpful than some of the ones taught at my University.

By Nikolas C

This course has gone way beyond my expectations! A very interesting and helpfull course for all professionals and university student! Professor Siedel makes it very easy to follow and provides practical solutions to negotiations tactics and strategies! Highly recommend this is by far the best thing i did during COVID-19! Thank you

By Manuel F

Aug 10, 2017

El curso es excelente, de hecho me gustaría seguir profundizando en el tema. Felicidades a la Universidad de Michigan y al Maestro Siedel por compartir tanto conocimiento.

Congrats to Michigan University and Mr. Siedel for sharing this important knowledge. I'm very happy for taking this course, and hope to take more in the future.

By Eustace A

Jun 14, 2020

Great Job ,Prof Siedel, I was reminded that to be a great negotiator , honesty ,integrity and ethics must come naturally. Just after completion ,i won my first interest based negotiation with my 3 yr old infant grand daughter with her tantrum replaced with a smile........ Eustace Abraham [Close Protection Agent -Toronto Canada]

By NCHOUNGOU M A A Y

Mar 30, 2017

Hello SIr

Thanks for being here helping most of us that can not travel over there to follow this importantand powerful course. Thanks to platforme Coursera owner who give me this opportunity.

It is one of most difficult course I never foolow, this is why I am so proud to have successful finish it

Now I am moving toward to practice.

By Vitaliy P

Apr 14, 2017

Great course! Everything is perfectly structured, and thanks to George, it's easy enough to assimilate. We use some tools described in the course in negotiations without thinking about the theoretical foundations. The course provides an understanding of these fundamentals and useful tools for negotiating. Thank you, George!

By David H L P

Jun 06, 2020

I am excited for completing this course, it has changed my perspective of negotiation and their processes and also about the online courses. While taking the course, I had the opportunity to talk to people from other countries and do practical exercises with them. that was good to maintain de motivation at the top. thanks

By Diego J V C

May 16, 2020

De los mejores cursos que he llevado en Coursera y de MOOC's en general. Muy buen material con varios casos y ejemplos prácticos. El profesor explica muy bien y tiene amplia experiencia en la materia. Definitivamente me ha ayudado a tener mejores herramientas y conocimientos avanzados para aplicar en negociaciones futuras.

By Sadman H N

Apr 21, 2020

I have learned a lot from this course. Thanks to Professor George Siedel and University of Michigan to give me an opportunity to complete this course. I'm feeling proud to become a part of this reputed university and I hope one day I will be a student of masters program in University of Michigan and fulfill my desire.

By HIMANSHU T

Jul 07, 2020

This is one of the best course offered by this University and Sessions and entire course was quite enlightening & enriching experience by me. I fully recommend this course to whosoever wants to upgrade skills particularly on Negotiation. Instructor, Mr. George Siedel was very clear in explaining different concepts.

By CHINEDUMIJE I

Oct 25, 2016

This is one of the best courses I have come cross, it lightened me up to the realities of what I think I know. It also revealed the essence of writing down something as an agreement in a any form business negotiation.

I am not just happy , I am delighted by the kind and humor at which Dr.George Seigel teaches. Kudos.

By Jesus G J

Oct 22, 2019

Este es un excelente curso que te aporta una gran cantidad de conocimiento y habilidades necesarias para la negociación. Aunque muchos de los casos y esquemas planteados son propios de los Estados Unidos, la mayoría de los conceptos se pueden trasladar al entorno de otros países, por ejemplo México, donde yo vivo.

By Amardeep S

This is course which in every day to day life but when we are negotiating for our company its becomes important to do in ethical and systematic ways. This course has really help in understand BATNA, ADR and many more . It's very informative and Collection of all points for developing a skill. Thanks George Siedel

By 최우영

Oct 10, 2018

I learned a lot about negotiation from this class. What I learned would be useful not only in my career but also in my personal life. I'm really glad that I took this course over other choices. I thank Professor Siedel for the wonderful lecture, and I do also like to thank Samsung for giving me this opportunity to

By Dr. M V S

The course is really good. I have learnt how to negotiate in various instances. All the lectures and speaking style is really superb. Thanks to Coursera for providing opportunities to attend the eminent professor's lectures through this online platform. Thanks to Prof. George Siedel for his excellent lectures.

By Omar C

Jan 03, 2020

Lots of useful information! I loved the examples on Framing and how the use of negative/positive statements makes us become risk adverse or risk seeking. I had never thought of this! The videos were very clear and informative. I will definitely implement my learnings in my negotiations going forward. Great class!

By Francesco

May 17, 2017

i like every part of this course and mostly how the professor Siedel make it clear for all of us that study from country that no speak english. just the chapter about contract I think isn't oriented for all the country but it is necessary to understand an important part of make a negotiation and a valid contract

By Tanishq M

This is one of the best courses available on coursera. It provides valuable insight to the world of negotiation and how can you use these skills and techniques to become a great negotiator. It also helps us to know about the law system and how it functions and the legal and ethical requirements of negotiation.

By Luis F G V

Oct 08, 2019

This is an excellent course to learn principles, skills and strategies to apply in everyday negotiation opportunities that will enhance your experience and the results that you get. I strongly recommend this course because of the content, the way it is presented and the experience and skills of the instructor.

By Md A H

Jun 02, 2020

This is indeed; an exceptional course that can only bring more value to our skills and on-going life and professional experience.

This course deserve a flawless 5 Star rating!!!

I really hope that Professor George Siedel will provide and share new materials in the near future.

Thank you Professor George Siedel!

By Irina H

Little did I know that I knew absolutely nothing about the negotiation processes before. Not only was I able to look back and evaluate some of my life situations and their outcomes, now I feel prepared and confident to enter negotiations!

Thank you Professor Siedel from the bottom of my heart!

irina Hott

By Milton K

Oct 19, 2015

This is a terrific course and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who feels he is not a very good negotiator. In particular, I believe that people in the technology fields would most benefit from this course as they are typically weaker in the soft skills departments than other people in other fields.

By Ellen D

Jul 07, 2020

A very very good, excellent professor!!! He laid out all the theory in a very clear way. And I loved the tests and the negotiation assignment, which he debriefed fully while relating all aspects to what we learned and explained it all. Very useful course if you want to improve your skills in negotiation.

By Charles C

May 12, 2020

This was an excellent course, I learned things that I wish I'd know 20 years ago. I struggled a bit with the final exam and would have liked the option for an answer key to help with a few of the problems that I had trouble with. That said, the student forums were very helpful in resolving my questions.

By Douglas Z D N

Oct 22, 2015

As a administration professional, this course improved my career in global sphere of negotiation. Teaching keys, tactics and many others ways to achieve what the best alternative to conduct situations.

I have no doubt about this awesome learning method.

Thank you Coursera!

Thank you Mr. George Siedel!