Back to Tools for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tools for Data Science by IBM

What are some of the most popular data science tools, how do you use them, and what are their features? In this course, you'll learn about Jupyter Notebooks, JupyterLab, RStudio IDE, Git, GitHub, and Watson Studio. You will learn about what each tool is used for, what programming languages they can execute, their features and limitations. With the tools hosted in the cloud on Skills Network Labs, you will be able to test each tool and follow instructions to run simple code in Python, R or Scala. To end the course, you will create a final project with a Jupyter Notebook on IBM Watson Studio and demonstrate your proficiency preparing a notebook, writing Markdown, and sharing your work with your peers....

AJ
Sep 15, 2020

Absolutely Loved this course!! Challenging at times to keep up with all the terms and processes. The course provided great insight into Data Science. Would highly recommend it as your first course.

RR
Apr 24, 2019

To the contrast of other reviews, I find the content very well bifurcated and fed to the learners. The course very easily digestable and I have had a great amount of fun learning it.. Go for it!!!!

26 - 50 of 3,578 Reviews for Tools for Data Science

By A J

Sep 16, 2020

By Fares A G

Mar 20, 2020

This course is embarrassing to take, the level of education is so that a highschooler would understand it with ease, it does not teach you how to use the tools claimed. Advertising this course as a learning tool to open source tools for DS, is akin to someone advertising a course for programming languages then teaching you how to write hello world in two or three languages. A more apt name for the course is "An outdated advertisement to IBM tools for data science". Why do I suddenly mention outdated? Because the videos, labs, and readings use the IBM skills academy website as is at least a year outdated, the tools they use (specifically adding data to the skills lab) are no longer available, and the instructors have done nothing about this on the forums. You're better off learning from youtube or google or anywhere else, even if this course was free, it'd be a rip-off.

By Josias B N

Nov 26, 2020

I have done a few courses online and this is by far the worst I've ever encountered. The structure, contents and even the audio (sometimes impossible to understand without subtitles) were very below average. I never thought IBM would offer such a product. To make it short, I had the impression they put together a few videos from IBM trying to promote its products. And to make things even worse, the tool provided by Coursera (IBM product) was a let down. Slow, many times it didn't load, confusing to find your way around. Very, very disappointed with this course. For me it felt like a waste of my time and made me feel frustrated. I would strongly recommend NOT TO TAKE THIS COURSE.

By Michael K

Apr 7, 2019

Imagine that you weren't particularly handy, but on a whim you decided to build yourself a dog house. You go to the hardware store, and the guy behind the counter tells you to start with the hydraulic maintenance manual for a multi-million dollar crane used on skyscrapers. That is the best analogy I can give you for the utter uselessness of this course.

I'm plunging ahead with the next course, but I have to say my opinion of IBM is diminishing with every step forward.

By Robert B

Aug 3, 2020

Terrible course. I hope the other courses in this certificate program are better. If they are anything like this I would certainly expect people to start asking for their money back. Romeo Kienzler might be very knowledgeable, but he clearly cannot teach well online. The videos were low quality, with bad audio, and taught you next to nothing. Very disappointing.

By Mikhail P

Jun 7, 2020

Really bad narration as well as unclear instruction. This course makes me rethink if I should continue.

By Vladislav S

Jun 10, 2020

It's terrible, useless and boring

By Mian M A

Nov 29, 2019

This course helped me finding open source tools. I knew about Jupyter Notebooks, but I also got to know more tools. Further, I got IBM subscription too, it would definitely help me in my work.

By Naveenchandra M S

Jun 30, 2019

This course is very nice to understand Python, Zappelin and R Studio basics on code and concepts, in which you will get hands on along with creating a free IBM Cloud and Watson Studio account.

By Чернова И Р

Mar 3, 2019

Brief overview of the open source tools such as Jupyter and RStudio.

. Pretty good for beginners

By John G

Feb 21, 2021

Poorly designed course.

Week 1: While the first section was ok, after the section on “Data Science Tools”, it was more or less just a list of tools for data science. I have 5 pages of notes that are mostly useless. The only reason I wrote so much was that the quizzes often asked about such useless details, that I learned to write more than I usually would. Whoever designed the course/tests obviously has no real teaching experience. In addition, do not expect any feedback from the quizzes. There is no attempt to help the learner learn from wrong answers.

The quality of most of the “instruction” was poor. The woman reading the script often did not logically pause when a slide was changed or more information was added to the slide, as if she didn’t know what was on them. For most of it, it was just a PowerPoint presentation. For IBM being so advanced with technology, it seems for most of the teaching they simply used 20-year-old technology to demonstrate some of the most advanced technology that currently exists. ☹ At least they could have used a split screen to show a person AND text/screen shots.

Week 2: Better information. Same woman reading slides…who is not convincing that she actually understood what she was actually reading. However, the information was more useful and the tools introduced were better. Now I’m registered on some sites and we’ll see how useful that is.

Week 3: A big mix. Again lots of tools. Different people speaking, but again they are just PowerPoint slides with no interaction with people (unlike in the first course in the program). When there are screen captures, sometimes they just jump and it is difficult to follow as they are quite quick. Often the screen shots don’t have high enough resolution, so many of the tabs in the programs are either difficult or impossible to read, or they don’t capture the whole screen, so it’s pretty useless as we can’t really follow how it gets from one place to another.

Sometimes poor English pronunciation. Why doesn’t the person who actually create the presentations/work with the programs actually do the speaking?

Week 4: Labs are useful and it’s great that there was some kind of output. Unfortunately, many of the things that you have to do are not actually taught in the course and you have to use other sources to find out how to do things.

By Reed M

Dec 20, 2020

Not a very good course at all. Part of it is dedicated to memorizing the names of a bunch of data science tools for tasks that are defined in one or two sentences. Much of the rest is dedicated to basic-to-the-point-of-triviality "Hello world" style tutorials for Jupyter Notebooks, RStudio, and IBM Watson Studio. Speaking of the latter, there's a disproportionate emphasis on IBM products - a bunch of advertising that IBM will help your data science workflow, directed towards learners who have never experienced that workflow at all. Even as advertising, it's bad advertising. And how is it that we've gone through two courses and still haven't learned anything of substance about programming or math? I learned a few new bits and pieces of Markdown from the final project, but that's about all I'll retain from this course.

This course convinced me to jump ship from the IBM data science professional certificate path. It's possible that things get better later on, in the courses with actual substance, but I'm not going to bet $40+ on that possibility.

By Jennifer F

Sep 5, 2021

This course felt more like an advertisement for IBM products than an overview of tools for data science. It's so obvious even just looking at the quizzes, 3 questions each on the open source tools quizzes and 10+ questions on each of the quizzes for the IBM products. The quizzes, by the way, are awful. I find myself having to write down everything that's said in the videos to do well on the quizzes because we're being tested on whether or not every little thing is memorized. I would prefer to focus on the overarching concepts and focus on the tools I know I'm going to need (Python, R, SQL) rather than IBM products. The construction of the quizzes really takes away from learning everything else because you have to pass the quizzes to get the certificate so you have to focus on that content instead of what's useful to you.

By Angela S

Dec 11, 2018

The Coursera videos to IBM Data Science Experience (now IBM Watson Studio) are outdated and therefore lead to unnecessary confusion and, to a point, obstruction of completing the course. The end-of-course project was 10x easier than figuring out how to set up a Jupyter Notebook in IBM Watson Studio. I guess you could say it's a sadistic way to weed people from the course! Please make the updated videos an immediate priority. Otherwise, the obtusely simple (enter code "1+1" to represent addition) videos are irrelevant.

By Anupama K

Nov 24, 2020

Toooooo much theory in the beginning. Talks about way too many tools and their features. And its not on informative basis, The quizes are based in these. It is hard to keep track and answer the quiz. And also practically do we need to know about so many tools?

Jupyter Notebook part was good.

By Loubriel L

Sep 30, 2020

Probably one of the least necessary courses in this program. Every video felt like an infomercial explaining all of the tools' features, and alternative tools. I understand having a weeks worth of content for this course, but 4 weeks is excessive. There are many many tools in the realm of data science and as long winded as this was it still did not touch the surface of all them. It also felt like IBM was really trying to push watson studio and their internal tools on me as the viewer. I see the intent, but this course should be reduced to the MOST commonly used tools and keep it focused on that.

By Orsolya N

Feb 24, 2020

The course materials are extremely outdated and due to this reason I've spent way to much time trying to figure out how to set up my notebook. IBM Watson is just not user friendly and not easy to navigate at all and the basics were not covered anywhere. It just shows that you don't care at all.

This is very unprofessional and I am seriously considering dropping out of the remaining courses from this professional certificate and I am definitely not recommending any IBM courses to anybody. I would give it -5 starts if possible.

By Kevin C

Dec 13, 2020

Learned very little to nothing. Bias was very clear to get students to just use IBM products. Information and teaching method was unorganized and jumbled, seemed like it was cut and pasted from previous versions, and left out all the context of the original. Stressed me out and quite frankly made me consider quitting all together. This course was not worth the money I paid and I think I'd like to request a refund.

By gabriela

Apr 2, 2020

The videos aren't updated. They are using an old version of the IBM cloud and IBM watson studio. It is extremely difficult to follow the tutorials based on. You should find the recent information through the forums and Google, which is ok. But, why is the idea of having a video that is not useful with the current platform?

By DiAndré

Oct 26, 2019

Watson and Skill Net are massively complex tools that are hard to use or initiate. That one needs to study these tools for the sake of just using them is a caveat. These tools will go away / be superseded by something else, and this study time is lost. Hope to get some deeper understanding of Data Science soon..

By Shiming C

Dec 14, 2020

Quick basic course, which doesn't deep into each topic, most of the courses introduce IBM tools. doesn't really useful.

By Christopher A B

Apr 23, 2020

This course provided me with a first-rate introduction to IBM Watson Studio and its various data science tools, like Jupyter Notebooks and RStudio. Before this course, I felt overwhelmed by the vast array of technologies I thought I needed to learn before I could do anything interesting in Data Science. The instructors' videos on Open Source Tools for Data Science were well-paced and thoughtful as they gradually increased the complexity of the tasks required of the students. I must also commend the developers of IBM Watson Studios. It has been a special privilege for me to have access to some of the cutting-edge, production-ready software offered by IBM, as well as actual data science projects and code. I can't wait to finish the next course!

By Carlos J B A

Nov 6, 2018

The courses I have taken have served me for my professional life, expand my knowledge and apply them finding results. This undoubtedly marked my personal life feeling happy and calm with what I am living. I feel that this platform has changed my life because it has ended with many paradigms that I had with respect to education, thanks to the financial help that Coursera has given me I have been able to move forward in my life project. Thanks you very much. Greetings from Colombia

By Mansoor A K

Jan 10, 2019

Its a good courser : but the instructor is boring

By Gowtham