Back to Tools for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tools for Data Science by IBM Skills Network

What are some of the most popular data science tools, how do you use them, and what are their features? In this course, you'll learn about Jupyter Notebooks, JupyterLab, RStudio IDE, Git, GitHub, and Watson Studio. You will learn about what each tool is used for, what programming languages they can execute, their features and limitations. With the tools hosted in the cloud on Skills Network Labs, you will be able to test each tool and follow instructions to run simple code in Python, R or Scala. To end the course, you will create a final project with a Jupyter Notebook on IBM Watson Studio and demonstrate your proficiency preparing a notebook, writing Markdown, and sharing your work with your peers....

GC

Apr 12, 2020

It serves perfecty its aim that is giving a first glance of the open course tools for data science. Of course each tool is briefly touched and it hands over the student the duty to deepen each tool.

RR

Apr 24, 2019

To the contrast of other reviews, I find the content very well bifurcated and fed to the learners. The course very easily digestable and I have had a great amount of fun learning it.. Go for it!!!!

3651 - 3675 of 3,921 Reviews for Tools for Data Science

By Julia S

Oct 1, 2019

IBM tool didn't work affecting my grade.

By A L I S O N

Jun 7, 2019

week 3 is out of date and no long true.

By John J C

Mar 25, 2019

Too many advertisements from IBM tools

By Guillaume T

Feb 24, 2020

A really basic and outdated intro :/

By Roy L

Jul 23, 2019

a lot of 'monkey-see monkey-do'

By Dovile K

Feb 15, 2020

The course is pretty outdated

By Anastasia S

Apr 10, 2020

Materials are not up to date

By pranav g

Jul 2, 2020

boring and not very helpful

By Sruthi M S

Apr 12, 2020

Poorly taught. Worst course

By Daniel y g

Mar 28, 2020

update the videos please...

By Camilo A

Apr 7, 2020

Outdated and disorganised.

By Ibukunoluwa B

Oct 17, 2020

Not so beginner friendly.

By Lau K K

Jan 17, 2019

Too easy

By Cortney H

Jul 9, 2021

It was a lot of overview. I honestly felt like I only learned definitions and what IBM tools look like and didn't get to dive into any real projects or examples. I was very disappointed in the limited opportunities to do anything real with the hands-on projects. They were too simple, like how to create a Jupyter Notebook, or play around with nodes. When I tried to code alongside some of the instructors on the optional GitHub sections, I didn't have access to their repositories or data, so I couldn't really do anything. In other videos the programmer completely skipped over important steps as if we had used the product before, or failed to provide any context so we didn't know what the goal was - so it was just some random exercise that barely made sense and wasn't much help to me for applying it to other real world situations. I don't feel anymore prepared to use these tools, and I got a 100% on every project and exam. I was expecting a whole lot more. I hope the next courses are better and I actually get to learn how to do something worthwhile.

By Elizabeth F

Oct 31, 2021

This course is not practical at all--it's a detailed overview of concepts that, for beginners, are meaningless until you begin working within those constructs. Furthermore, the online IDE is not functional--it will not load and indicates it is under maintenance or gives an error code. So, in order to complete the practicals of this course, you have to set up your own environment, for which there are no instructions. Fortunately, my husband is a sr. software developer and was able to help me troubleshoot setting up Rstudio, wherein the links, libraries, and other resources are all out of date.

Furthermore, I'm now 5 weeks into this program and have not learned anything. Fortunately, I know I am interested in programming and data science already after working in other resources (e.g. Data Quest) that provide actual hands on education, rather than a computerized voice reading script that contains erroneous details with no immediate practical application.

Such a disappointment. I expect more from IBM.

By Zoe B

Jun 14, 2021

There are issues with the final exam preventing people (including myself) from passing. These issues have been raised going as far back as a month without any moderator intervention (from what can be seen on the forum). Despite there being 20 moderators to this course, there appears to be just 1 active moderator and they havent responded to this issue. There is no way of contacting staff to raise this as an issue to be fixed except to raise it on the forum. In doing so, you break the Coursera Honour Code (as Ive just discovered). Im currently unable to complete this course due to this issue and Im hoping this one star review brings the matter to the attention of the staff responsible for the course.