Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

BO
Apr 1, 2019

This is my most favorite module module, especially the Linux, which is my all time favorite OS ever enjoy learning, working Programing, and configuring, and will continue enjoying til the end of time.

JB
Dec 27, 2020

This course was very informative and challenging. I really appreciate the way the course was put together. It would be ore helpful if the links to the readings were from material other than Wikipedia.

26 - 50 of 3,893 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Theo R

Jan 5, 2020

I'd give 4.5 stars if possible, Google provides a comprehensible course on the basics of OSs through theory, practical examples and labs. The last lab is awesome, the rest of the labs are perhaps too easy. The instructor was very knowledgeable and encouraging and the videos have very good quality. The Coursera platform is awesome.. better than going to a class - as you can't mute your colleagues or ask your teacher to wait while you make yourself a tortilla..

By Carlos A

Sep 13, 2021

The teacher should explain things better. The commands are written to fast. The lessons need to be consolidated with all the windows lessons in one video and the linux ones in another instead of being alternatively divided.

By Santos R G

Dec 4, 2019

I rate this course as the worst one yet, NOT because of the topics, instructor or even exam, but because of the horrible problem with the Finally LABS. This has been documented for over a year on the messages board, and Coursera, Google nor qwikLab have done NOTHING to address the issue. I think it a sign of disrespect to the students effort, time and money put towards improving their knowledge. I am disappointed with all three parties, how can you teach a course on IT , and NOT get your system corrected !

By Sue G

Dec 22, 2020

too many sessions for each week....teacher was packing too much of information in each lesson.

She should organize her lessons into two distinct category: windows OS & Linux.

Overall, It was a great course with a lot of important information.

By Mai F M E

Apr 14, 2020

the course was very good and amazing, and the instructor was awesome.

However the linux part was somewhat difficult

By John G

Jan 23, 2021

I couldn't give it 5 stars. One reason is because of the "instructor". It was clear she was reading from a script, and she wasn't very good at it. The second thing is that sometimes she used commands, but didn't explain them. She didn't know how to type, so she had to redo things a number of times. This is an IT expert? Finally, until the final "Test", you didn't really have to know anything about Linux or the CLI/PowerShell. To past the end of the Week "Tests", you just followed line by line what was written. That didn't show that I learned anything, only that I knew how to follow instructions. As for the content, there is a lot of good information, especially for beginners. I think anyone really interested in an IT Support Specialist job will have a good introduction to the concepts...but will certainly not know how to execute many things on their own.

By Alexandria S

Aug 30, 2020

I had trouble with the last two quizzes and now I can't go back to take them because I exceeded the times for taking the test. Now I can't get all 5 certificates for taking all the courses the only thing I didn't pass were two quizzes which I didn't understand and I needed help with them and couldn't get any help.

By Jose M V M

Feb 25, 2019

This is one of the worst courses I have ever taken. And it's not bad due to the classes or topics or even due to being a hard course, but because they have chosen to use the WORST grading tools. They almost never work and when they work (not often) you are not even properly graded, missing half the score and other problems like that. This means that you are forced to get on the tool again and pray for it to work (it won't) and hope you can finally get the right grade.

By Ahmad S

Jun 18, 2018

1) I had a horrible time accessing the qwiklabs. Then when I finally pass them and received emails confirming my achievement. I go back to course outline and Coursera said I did not complete yet.2) Instructions/lessons learning the different commands on three different platforms was very quick and in my opinion does not allow the audience to fully digest material and develop individual skills sets.

By Bogusia K

Jul 8, 2020

Just 2 stars - didnt think it was a good idea to mix windows and linux together - didnt do any favours to me . Didnt connect with the teacher and struggled to take in all information . Boring !Not enough practical - qwick lab good but not enough time .

By Nicholas L S

Sep 8, 2021

C​ourse is super dry and boring. When it comes to the practical tests at the end, the instructions are unclear and outright wrong in some cases. Had to submit half-done assignments because either the linux/windows virtual machine was not

By michael m

Sep 24, 2018

The labs are ridiculous! The one for Linux is the worst! I had to do it multiple times and even though I completed all of the requested steps, I only received 80%. I will not recommend this course anybody because of the labs.

By Jerry A

Feb 10, 2020

no stars. all the labs following the guide , is it all correctly but the progress mark it never works, it keep it showing zero marks. Waste of time as I don't get the certificate course as I completed it.

By Thiago F N

Jan 2, 2020

Horrible, this course apart from Linux is pretty bad. Unlike the others the instructor doesn't seem to be interested in teaching and the exercises are so vague and simple, not challenging at all.

By Kryptöñ

i never used power-shell before, i always thought that only Linux is good for cli and windows should be only used with graphical user interface, but i never knew that even windows too provides such a powerful cli,

as a Linux user i'm mostly interested in cli, but after taking this course i feel that i can even work with windows power-shell too.

By O'rinboyev J K

Nov 8, 2020

Juda ajoyib kurs! Kursda operatsion tizimlar bilan ishlash uchun juda keng ko'nikmalar mavjud. Bu kurs mening hayotimda katta o'sish bo'ldi! Google kompaniyasiga ushbu kurs uchun kata rahmat aytaman. Cindy uchun esa alohida RAHMAT!!! :-)

By SIRAJUDEEN A G

Nov 28, 2021

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

By Belen

Apr 3, 2020

It is a very thorough and comprehensive course. It does have a lot of supplemental readings that may be out of date because it is 3 years old. Some of the commands are for Windows 8, not Windows 10.

By S. T

Jan 4, 2021

The course is great. I leaned a lot about OS specially about Linux Ubuntu and Windows PowerShell.

By Dwight C

Mar 20, 2019

I have renewed some of the skills I knew plus added a lot of skills I din't have

By robert H

Apr 3, 2021

I love the courses and I'm learning a lot. I do very well on the practical exams but the labs seem to be a problem. not that I can't do the work but the external tool that was used QWIK LABS caused me so much grief and headaches. the interface alway kicked me out of the lab or I would get stuck in a terminal and couldn't exit. for example the last two exams for this course I was almost done with the windows portion and I get stuck terminal and couldn't do anything causing me not to do the last question in the lab. which gave me a 80. I would have got a 100 just because of the qwik lab issues

second the linux lab had same issue gave up the first day could only do half the lab. went back redid the lab and got 100 percent after reloading the lab several times. I strive on doing well and exceeding expectations of my peers but the labs caused me to be frustrated at the way there utilized. I use a Mac computer and it was very difficult to navigate between the labs windows and back to my browser to follow the instructions.

By Michael E

Jan 7, 2021

I wrote more in depth comments after each week of the course.

In general I liked the course as well as the instructor. I gathered some useful information about IT and Operating Systems. However, I think the course could have be much more effective if

A) you used another learning strategy. Instead of having learners basically repeat precise instructions for five weeks and then, all of a sudden, give them tasks where they have to do things autonomously, why noted it gradually, a little bit each time?

B) you provided more opportunities to try out things and code along. It is a pity that I (as on owner of a Mac) learned only in week 5 that there would have been the possibility to use virtual box to vm windows on my computer or to install CLI on it.

What I like about this course and in general about all the Google Coursera courses I have taken so far is that the teacher are really engaged, very passionate about their topic and really knowledgable

By Bruce M

Oct 29, 2021

The information was all there, but it could be structured in a more complete way that would aid in the understanding. There were a lot of jumbled up weeks where we jump back and forth between windows and linux OS. It would be a lot easier to retain the information and understand what is being taught if it were separated by operating systems and tested one at a time. [This would make notes a lot easier to index as well when studying or trying to refresh over a covered topic]

By Ankit B

Aug 19, 2020

This course covered lots of information. However, it would be nice if the labs And graded assessments were somewhat interactive. What I mean is that it should ask students to complete some tasks based on the topic covered and not show them exactly how to do it. But, if they get stuck stuck they can click on the hint button or something to help they move forward. I feel that this course is defini Very important and sometimes Cindy was going through super fast with commands she was typing. Lastly, if students are using Putty for Qwiklabs, then all of the course material should be shown in that instead of in Linux GUI.

By Hail B

Jul 6, 2018

Good course, one must be willing to dig in much deeper on the subjects as they are discussed very briefly.