Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

151 - 175 of 493 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Inge F

Jun 26, 2020

Anyone who is interested in any kind of art should take this course! I have gained a huge understanding of modern art that is astonishing to me. I never would have expected too learn so much ! and I have enjoyed every moment .

By Sedigheh N A

Sep 17, 2020

This course was wonderful and I had never have the same subject in my previous degree. All the Modules, Announcements, Discussions, Assignments were great and I have never experienced such a great course before.

By BEATRIZ M V

Jun 15, 2020

Amazing experience. I loved the course , I can not wait to start another one. The material, the resources, everything was just great. I really did not expect to learn so much as I actually did. I would do it a thousand times.

By Natalya S

Jul 19, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and course content. Lecturer was a knowledgeable and engaging speaker. Highly recommend to anyone interested in learning about techniques and concepts of well known abstract artists from 20th c.

By luca s

Jan 23, 2018

Please spend time on this course, it is not only about the artists' ideas, the practical side is how the different painters created their style very interesting. Even when it looks simple there is a lot of craft behind it!

By Jan P W

Aug 6, 2020

A very interesting course about the process of many famous paintings by the Abstract Expressionists. Its good to learn how these paintings are made and under what circumstances. I learned a lot and recommend this course.

By Phil D

Jan 2, 2021

Absolutely brilliant. The perfect combination of teaching painting techniques together with insight to the artists and their paintings. For those interested in abstract art, I cannot recommend this course highly enough.

By Cheryl

May 18, 2017

I felt it was really helpful to get to know and practice the artists' techniques, even if for the ones who don't paint and don't intend to paint. Contemporary art needs guide and explanation more than other kind of art.

By Ashley R

Jun 6, 2020

This course was incredible! If you want to learn more about art and really dive into specific artists' works definitely take this class. I've learned so much and can't wait to try some of the techniques in my own work.

By Ronald R L

Jan 16, 2021

One of the great learning experiences.I wish I had taken this finely produced course years ago .Great teacher fantastic choices of art and artists.Comprehensive education covering so many facets .Well done indeed.

By Andrew E

Dec 1, 2017

Excellent course. Material was concise. Videos were truly excellent and to the point. Easily manageable across a busy week and I learned much more than I anticipated. Heartily recommended. Look forward to the next!

By Smita S

Jun 13, 2020

Very useful and informative course on Postwar Abstract painting. Learning from the comfort of home and flexible timings were added advantage. Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and learnt a lot from Corey d' Augustine.

By Pamela J R

May 15, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have done. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates art. I will never look at the work of these artists in the same way again, this course has certainly opened up my eyes!

By Rosa P

Jul 22, 2017

I loved taking this course. I learnt a lot about the artists, mediums and techniques. Corey makes it really interesting and easy to follow. I would definitely take another class like this in the future. Thanks!

By Douglas N

Mar 31, 2020

In this course, you learned about the materials, techniques and approaches of seven New York School artists. I honed my visual analysis skills and I made my own abstract paintings inspired by what I learned.

By LU H

Mar 9, 2020

This course provides me a good perspective to look into abstract paintings. The videos in the studio are quite practical for me to learn the underneath techniques of the artists which is also very inspiring.

By Melinda B

May 23, 2017

The course was inspirational! I loved learning not only the history of Postwar Abstract Painting, and an appreciation of the art works, but also the techniques used by many of the artists. Great instruction!

By Ifigenia L B

Jun 29, 2020

The course is so organized. It is giving you all information needed to get to know Abstract Expressionism and its most Important Artists. Thank you so much for this interesting 8 weeks. I really enjoyed it.

By Petra C

Apr 22, 2018

This was a fantastic course, so interesting with superb resources. I particularly enjoyed the painting demonstrations and the film clips of discussions about the art works. A first rate course. Thank you!

By julia k

Jun 23, 2020

I got a huge amount out of the course, really coming to understand Post War art and AbEX.

I learned about methods and styles and influences and feel familiar with the movement and confident to discuss it.

By Cindy W

I have a better understanding on the works of art introduced in this course. Moreover, I tried to practice on the ways followed by guidence that gave me a deep understanding on the ideas behind the art.

By Mikiko N

Jul 13, 2020

Thank you very much.

I really enjoyed this course.I learned about 8 abstract artists very well.

The curriculum , videos, text, teacher ,feedbacks and homework are amazing.

It is very good. Thank you again.

By Marcia F

Mar 9, 2018

This course is an incredible investigative journey of materials and processes which leads to a greater appreciation for the context in which Abstract Expressionist were working in the mid 20th century.

By Valerie L V

May 22, 2017

Amazing course, precise but deep at the same time, beautifully designed with a really interesting selection of painters. Corey is a GREAT teacher, very clear, very smart and inspiring. I enjoyed a lot!

By Diane B